• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pool C - General discussion

OK guys, calm down(or get a room, whatever) and let's return to the World Cup discussion.

P0IS0N, where's your patriotic spirit? If Rassie wishes to buy us some pints after we defeat Italy, that's OK in my book, no matter what his true motive might be :buddies: :hang2: . [/b]
Eh, got a lil' carried away. Hai Romania!!!

I am going to buy this friend of my all beers he can drink.

The Romanian Guy is the best! My money it`s on Romania!

If Scotland play in the pools like they did against Ireland, then Italy are going to have a job on their hands. I am picking ABs and the Scots to go through to the quarters.

If Scotland play in the pools like they did against Ireland, then Italy are going to have a job on their hands. I am picking ABs and the Scots to go through to the quarters. [/b]

Premature - Italy are playing Ireland next. Wait till you see what happens there. No idea yet if it's going to be a stronger Irish team - the Scots had pretty much their full team out against 13/15 Irish wannabes + a strong bench.

<div class='quotemain'> If Scotland play in the pools like they did against Ireland, then Italy are going to have a job on their hands. I am picking ABs and the Scots to go through to the quarters. [/b]

Premature - Italy are playing Ireland next. Wait till you see what happens there. No idea yet if it's going to be a stronger Irish team - the Scots had pretty much their full team out against 13/15 Irish wannabes + a strong bench.
[/b][/quote]

Fair call, premature yes, but still impressed me never the less. If they had played like that through the 6 nations, they may not have been wooden spooners.

Italy will beat a home nation team on an off day, but chances of them winning if Scotland are playing with good cohesion - My opinions is that it may be a bridge to far. But all the best to them.

Just looking at the draw, it gets even worse for who ever comes second in the Pool of Death, as they will have to play the ABs in the quarters. There is massive incentive/payoff to winning that pool. Makes me think there must be a better way of organising the Pools. I understand they are currently ranked by how the team performed in 2003? Perhaps they should work on IRB rankings one year out from the RWC.

Well, I have to say, after watching Sco - Ire, I am impressed, that's a different Scotland than the one we saw at the 6N. And Ireland, although not in their best form, is a side far better than Italy. So, I don't think I would put my money on Italy anymore.

Fair points. I still go for Italy, unless their form has dropped away. In fact, I'd expect them to have improved in the backs. And their forwards should be able to bully even an improved Scots pack. We'll see.

What Scotland really need is to penetrate the Italy defence out wide, and there wasn't a lot of evidence for that last Saturday. They had plenty of overlaps, but didn't finish them off.

Either way, they're both good teams and I'll be interested to see how they approach the ABs.

The thing i found fascinating, was that Scotland have Bulked. and BULKED well.

All forwards bar Ally Hogg are bursting out their shirts in the arms.They're huge.

The thing i found fascinating, was that Scotland have Bulked. and BULKED well.

All forwards bar Ally Hogg are bursting out their shirts in the arms.They're huge. [/b]

Maybe that has a lot to do with their new "tour de France" shirts :p

Well, I have to say, after watching Sco - Ire, I am impressed, that's a different Scotland than the one we saw at the 6N. And Ireland, although not in their best form, is a side far better than Italy. So, I don't think I would put my money on Italy anymore. [/b]

aye, but which Scotland will show up in France?

im not going to get carried away on the back of one result, but IF scotland can build on this we should safely navigate the group - and could provide the test the AB's seek!

<div class='quotemain'> Well, I have to say, after watching Sco - Ire, I am impressed, that's a different Scotland than the one we saw at the 6N. And Ireland, although not in their best form, is a side far better than Italy. So, I don't think I would put my money on Italy anymore. [/b]

aye, but which Scotland will show up in France?

im not going to get carried away on the back of one result, but IF scotland can build on this we should safely navigate the group - and could provide the test the AB's seek!
[/b][/quote]

Aye thats the spirit!!! This is my second most interesting pool after the pool D(eath). Aside from us being in the Pool the whole Italy / Scotland game is going to riveting and its the final day of the Pool just for extra drama. The WC is going to build sweetly!

2011 is going to be even better. Possibly 16 teams, 6N + 3N + Arg, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, Japan and couple of others. Starting to get some good strong competition in there.

Its interesting group. I think it will be:

1. NZ
2. Italy
3. Scotland
4. Romania
5. Portugal

1. NZ
2. Italy
3. Scotland
4. Romania
5. Portugal

-----------

1. NZ = An Idiot would agree another team in the group to win no offence.

2. Italy = Cmon dude are you ====ing me they aint played any warmups as of yet, and you have them as certs cause of one bad game by Scotland, they lost 24-6 to Argentina whether the Argies are good or not thats poor.

3. Scotland - Played a great performance against a 2nd team Ireland, see how they fair against South Africa, if they perform the way they performed against Ireland then theyll beat italy, italy are fast but not that strong. I put Scotland 2nd but not cause I am Scottish, but cause I aint thinking Italy are a great team like you all think, lol. 2007 Is not italias year.

4. Romania - Erm I wish they would do a shock whether against any team, but dont see it happening watch this space ill bite my tongue and theyll beat Scotland. bummer.

5. Portuwhoo - Enough Said

My prediction is

1. NZ
2. Scotland
3. Italy
4. Romania
5. Portugal

And its only 3 weeks to go :D :lol: :lol2tn: :bravo: :bana:

TBH, i dont see scotland making a mess this time!

we lost in the 6N because FH told the boys to go out and play an exciting game of rugby - in the WC they will go out, steady their nerves and if they arent playing well will grind out a result. (possibly without any tries)

TBH, in a way im glad Scotland lost to Italy - had we hammered them then we could have grown complacent over this game, but as it is the team will take nothing for granted.

but for 2 teams it all boils down to 80 minutes in St Etienne. We shall see what happens on the day, either team could have an off day like the 6N - im just praying to god it doesnt happen to scotland.

ps. the last time Scotland played a WC match at that stadium we lost to Moroco in the 98 FIFA WC!

I`m picking you scots also but you won`t do much **** afterwards! Sorry to say that bu, as far as i know, you, scots, like to put it blank!

TBH, i dont see scotland making a mess this time!

we lost in the 6N because FH told the boys to go out and play an exciting game of rugby - in the WC they will go out, steady their nerves and if they arent playing well will grind out a result. (possibly without any tries)

TBH, in a way im glad Scotland lost to Italy - had we hammered them then we could have grown complacent over this game, but as it is the team will take nothing for granted.

but for 2 teams it all boils down to 80 minutes in St Etienne. We shall see what happens on the day, either team could have an off day like the 6N - im just praying to god it doesnt happen to scotland.

ps. the last time Scotland played a WC match at that stadium we lost to Moroco in the 98 FIFA WC! [/b]

you can look at this game 2 ways, the fact that Scotland lost in Edinburgh could stand to Hadden's team as they'll be well up for this game and won't be complacent and will have revenge on their minds. However the Italians also beat the Welsh in 2003 when they had them in their pool and let themselves down in the corresponding world cup game, so they also have that to keep them focused on not letting history repeat itself.

There's also the fact that there really isn't much between these 2 sides, so even if the Scots aren't complacent that doesn't guarantee them victory.

What 's your opinion about the fixtures dates that again give an important game to Italy four days after playing the AB?
IRB still like to give best tv exposure to the big team and forget that if the rugby want to become a leading sport more nations have to compete at the higher level...

With the first games made, my prediction is 1:NZ 2:Scotland 3:Italy

Sorry double post

Latest posts