• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Post count - now upped to 10

I just don't see why it is so difficult to post 10 comments. There's got to be a million things on here to read and more likely than not either strongly disagree with, or strongly agree with. We talk Rugby, We talk Politics, We talk Religion, We talk Science (yes, we're quite groundbreaking), We talk Boobs (and the women attached to them). Surely, there are one of these topics that interests you? I mean, Boobs. There is a literal post dedicated to hot women. Find a picture of a media slut, and post up and say "I love ____ ____'s ass, it looks good in tight pants." That's one post. I could post a million posts like that. Surely you have other views as well? What do you think of the New RWC kit? "They look like shite!" Oh, wow, that's post number two! Now you're on your way. I mean, dear Lord, how difficult is it, really? Heck, even *****ing about something you don't like on the forum is posting. Feedback helps the Admin and Mod's create a better site.
'

Personally I feel that the limit should be 50 posts, I came here to read Rugby Articles and not really Rugby 08 gaming stuff... But the information in there should be saved for members who are willing to contribute to the rest of the forum... It's not too difficult...

They should suck it up really, like O'Rothlain said, posting 10 good post/comments isn't too difficult

10 posts isn't hard, I just wish the limit had been set a few weeks *after* the game hit shelves so that I'd have a chance to build up my count to 10 and have some meaningful discussion. I just haven't hit 10 yet because I try to refrain from discussing a game before it comes out. I like to actually play it before I talk about it.

I regret to say I find this policy decision and its explanation puerile. The fact that the qualifying limit was set at five posts and then increased to ten suggests that it was not achieving its objective. Personally I would be prepared to pay for access, at least for a trial period to see whether the quality of the forum was sustained.

My principal objection is that it is not a way to achieve quality unless it is accompanied by an increased effort in moderating out irrelevant and repetitive material. We all know that using web forums is like panning for gold - you sift through a lot of grit to find the occasional nugget of gold that is worth reading. The weakness of forums is that they encourage everyone to think that their opinions are worth voicing. Personally I do not contribute to the wider forums because I do not think that my opinions about rugby are worth broadcasting, however much I enjoy watching the game.

I also fail to see how the post count can make a real difference to spam (but I would be interested in an explanation as I am not familiar with the mechanics of managing a forum). This is not a solution that I have encountered on other forums.

On 'lurkers' in general, a brief web search turned up the following article (http://www.useit.com/alertbox/participation_inequality.html) which suggested that "In most online communities, 90% of users are lurkers who never contribute, 9% of users contribute a little, and 1% of users account for almost all the action.". If that is correct, you are doing extremely well in therugbyforum.com if your contribution rate is between 30 and 40%. I would have expected you to take some pride in the success of your gaming forums in attracting the main body of discussion about what is, let's face it, a minority game.

Finally, when I have re-qualified I will go back thorugh your EA Rugby forums to examine exactly what useful or interesting information was provided by therugbyforum.com as opposed to the individuals who chose to contribute to the forum. There appears to a rather proprietorial claim being made about other people's efforts. As for EA's plans, my recollection is that there was a lot of gossip but little of substance. I admit I have been on holiday recently but as I am now barred I cannot check!

Hugh Kernohan

We don't have a post count as such. The post count does not mean a great deal in TRF - we remove post counts from most things as we do not deem it to be a good representation of people. In the case of accessing the EA Rugby section, I WILL turn lurkers into members. If they don't contribute to my forum, they don't get access to the information via TRF, it's as simple as that. That is why the post count is switched on to get into that section.

Me and getofmeland spend our own money on this board, and that means hosting costs. The EA section takes up lots of that. Obviously the amount of traffic that that particular section of the board generates is hugely draining on our resources. The least people can do, in my opinion, is post. That means more to me than money - I do not like to see members with 0 posts. I dislike even less people taking the credit for what goes on on the board. The sources I have on that part of the board have kept me going for 3 years. They are on the money year in, year out. They generate so much quality, genuine information (and I see and play a lot of it myself) and I am so proud it comes onto TRF and TRF alone.

This is why I get pretty ****** off. I can't expect it all to stay on TRF on its own, but I try and do whatever I can to get my sources the credit they deserve.

I find it interesting HDK that you would possibly be prepared to pay to access that part of the board. That's our last ditch resort, if all else fails, sort of scenario. However, you seem to have that as being better than making 10 posts. Could you clarify that for me? I feel that if I made that part of the forum subscription only, that very few people would do it. People eventually get the message that they have to make a little bit of a contribution to get the information they want, but I am fairly certain they wouldn't pay. Or the vast majority of people, anyway.

I honestly don't understand the fuss. It's not like I'm asking for the world. Just a bit of respect towards our board. Thank you for your contribution to this issue, HDK.

I regret to say I find this policy decision and its explanation puerile. The fact that the qualifying limit was set at five posts and then increased to ten suggests that it was not achieving its objective. Personally I would be prepared to pay for access, at least for a trial period to see whether the quality of the forum was sustained.[/b]

I disagree, far from being childish, the actual explaination over why we have imposed the quotas reflect valid and reasonable frustrations on the part of our members who day in day out make the effort to engage with the rest of the community. The SH brigade for example have come onto this forum and have made full use of the facilities, faithfully tracking the Super 14 and their provincial competitions without even so much as a word from anyone else. However, at the same time, you have hundreds if not thousands of leechers who take advantage of our goodwill and facilities without putting anything back into the community.

Putting up a system of payment would be wrong, it would defeat the actual purpose of this forum. As such, it is obvious that you have completely missed the whole point of this forum and this quota.

It is not here to serve as your first port of call for any Rugby 06/08 hacks, tips, cheats, etc. On the contary, it is here for the debate, discussion and banter of real life rugby.

Call that "puerile" if you want sir but if you are not prepared to even understand what this forum is actually for; then you will never understand why the quotas are even in place.

And on the contary, the fact that we now have many new members who, before would have just headed straight for the Rugby 06/08 section and left without a post, are now actually contributing and making their voices heard about the issues that face rugby of both codes today, proves that the system is working.

My principal objection is that it is not a way to achieve quality unless it is accompanied by an increased effort in moderating out irrelevant and repetitive material. We all know that using web forums is like panning for gold - you sift through a lot of grit to find the occasional nugget of gold that is worth reading. The weakness of forums is that they encourage everyone to think that their opinions are worth voicing. Personally I do not contribute to the wider forums because I do not think that my opinions about rugby are worth broadcasting, however much I enjoy watching the game.[/b]

Incorrect. This is not about quality or quantity: it is about coaxing lurkers into posting worthwhile views on Rugby and beyond. At first, many will find it hard to write a decent post and through a lack of confidence their posts will be short. However, as they see topics which they hold close to their heart or if their confidence increases, then they will start to post more and more, putting more of what they know down and getting involved in the debate. Forums are there for debate, they are the online equivelent of talking loudly about how crap McAllister is after drinking four pints of Adnams Broadside. It isn't meant to be taken seriously and if somebody disagrees, argue with them and hit the beer cooler: that is what rugby debate is all about!

By your way of posting, I get the feeling you're more of the wine bar or tee-total late night cafe kind of guy rather than someone who would rather be heard and seen.

There will be spam, of course there will be, but we honestly feel that this is risk worth taking. We have a team of committed staff who nip spammers in the bud pretty quickly. The problem is easily manageable and we are on top of it.

I also fail to see how the post count can make a real difference to spam (but I would be interested in an explanation as I am not familiar with the mechanics of managing a forum). This is not a solution that I have encountered on other forums.[/b]

It can but not in the way that you would expect. Some either see the post count and treat it with the respect it deserves and start to post some decent stuff. Others post spam at first, get a warning and then fall into line and actually discover what a nice forum it is.

I think the fact that we have not had to warn anyone more than twice or even get anywhere near a ban demonstrates how gentle coaxing from staff can ease new members in the right direction. As their posting improves, the warnings are removed and they'll get rewarded in other ways such as access to the rugby 08 forum and positive increases to their reputation.

On 'lurkers' in general, a brief web search turned up the following article (http://www.useit.com/alertbox/participation_inequality.html) which suggested that "In most online communities, 90% of users are lurkers who never contribute, 9% of users contribute a little, and 1% of users account for almost all the action.". If that is correct, you are doing extremely well in therugbyforum.com if your contribution rate is between 30 and 40%. I would have expected you to take some pride in the success of your gaming forums in attracting the main body of discussion about what is, let's face it, a minority game.[/b]

We never said it wasn't, what we were saying was that only 40 or 50 people posting out of a total of 3,000 was highly irregular, even for a popular forum. We are not doing that well at all at TRF, far from it and we merely want to just increase the number of people who post here. If all 3,000 members suddenly turn up and start posting, then that is fine, that is great but we would be happy even if another 50 lurkers or leechers started posting. The fact that we have increased our active members by ten to fifteen is a success in our books.

Finally, when I have re-qualified I will go back thorugh your EA Rugby forums to examine exactly what useful or interesting information was provided by therugbyforum.com as opposed to the individuals who chose to contribute to the forum. There appears to a rather proprietorial claim being made about other people's efforts. As for EA's plans, my recollection is that there was a lot of gossip but little of substance. I admit I have been on holiday recently but as I am now barred I cannot check!

Hugh Kernohan [/b]

Well then Hugh, you seem to be a rather dapper hand at writing posts, why not put those skills to use and delve into the forum and see what topics tickle your pickle! By the time you get to your tenth post, you'll probabbly would have forgotten that you were here for Rugby 08 stuff anyway. If you want my opinion, you need to get some beer (I reccomend http://www.realale.com/ if you want to buy online), sit back, read some of the posts and have a laugh.

At the end of the day, we feel that the post quota has been a success we can point to the fact that more new members who have contributed allot have joined since we've put this quota in place. In short: we ain't getting rid of it so get used to it! :bana:

Good day!

By your way of posting, I get the feeling you're more of the wine bar or tee-total late night cafe kind of guy rather than someone who would rather be heard and seen. [/b]
I don't know about being teetotal but I have spent a long time learning that I am not always right, that being loud makes me look stupid and that you learn more by listening than by talking.

Forums are there for debate, they are the online equivalent of talking loudly about how crap McAllister is after drinking four pints of Adnams Broadside. It isn't meant to be taken seriously and if somebody disagrees, argue with them and hit the beer cooler: that is what rugby debate is all about! [/b]
I could tease you that we are all crap after drinking four pints of Adnams Broadside!

Me and getofmeland spend our own money on this board, and that means hosting costs. The EA section takes up lots of that. Obviously the amount of traffic that that particular section of the board generates is hugely draining on our resources. ... I find it interesting HDK that you would possibly be prepared to pay to access that part of the board. That's our last ditch resort, if all else fails, sort of scenario. However, you seem to have that as being better than making 10 posts. Could you clarify that for me? [/b]
It is precisely because I recognise that you incur costs that I would be prepared to pay. Frankly 'ten posts' irritated me because first I had trouble seeing the logic, and second I had previously made seven posts - albeit in the EA Rugby forum - containing material which I thought had been genuinely useful to others.

Anyway, I can agree that those who run the board make the rules; I'll hope you can agree that it takes all sorts, including those who wait to speak until they have something worth saying.

Can I take it that the 'Bonus ball' idea is dead? If it is I'll head for the 'donations' link to put my money where my mouth is.

Hugh Kernohan

Hugh, we're running a few things at the moment, the bonus ball scheme is one thing I am going to get right on.

Oh yes, I stand firm and agree. Blackmail is the one and only counter for the somewhat 'low' activity. [/sarcasm]

<div class='quotemain'> Oh yes, I stand firm and agree. Blackmail is the one and only counter for the somewhat 'low' activity. [/sarcasm]
[/b]
Care to clarify?[/b][/quote]

Well, I don't want to start an arguement, so I apologise for bringing it up. However, IMHO, I just don't think that bribing/blackmailing people into posting more is the way to go. Rewarding people for posting more than most implies that you're more after quantitiy rather than quality. Which, I, like many, prefer the total opposite. Although this isn't a very good example (as its rather minor, only 10 posts), however, its clear you only let members with a high post count edit their member ***le. This only brings out an incentive for people to post more. The way to do it quick? Spam.

You're mistaken there. Anyone who asks can have their custom ***le changed to whatever they like. It's just that hardly anyone asks!

As far as I am concerned the reward for posting sensibly is access to the EA section. I am happy with the way it's going - more and more people are getting involved and crucially, and this is where I am concerned, they are staying involved. That's why the rule is in place. Personally, I think it's working well.

You're mistaken there. Anyone who asks can have their custom ***le changed to whatever they like. It's just that hardly anyone asks! [/b]

My mistake, I just assumed.

i came to this forums with the intention to participate in the ea rugby forum, but the post count is making me post silly things around the forum

and i posted 11 times, and still the board message and still i can't enter ea rugby forum

i came to this forums with the intention to participate in the ea rugby forum, but the post count is making me post silly things around the forum

and i posted 11 times, and still the board message and still i can't enter ea rugby forum [/b]
That's to stop people doing exactly what you have been, that is, posting silly posts. A post only counts if it is of 30 characters or more.

i remember when i first joined that short time ago i was only going to post 5 times and leave it at that, but now i see more topics i want to add my point to, its so simple lol
[/b]

That's pretty much how forums are supposed to work. I am new here, so I like to look around and see what all of the fuss is about. Things grab my attention and then I interject. Having a post minimum to enter the Rugby 08 forum makes sense, but I do think it is a little rash. But hey, it's not my site and I'm just enjoying all of the information...ALL OF IT. Once I've got enough posts, then of course I'll contribute accordingly. Hell, the main forum I visit on a daily basis is STRICTLY a video game forum. It's the only one I visit daily...and of course other topics interest me, so i get in on those too. Forums are meant to get people talking...and I can see the point of not wanting just the lurkers leeching on a daily basis.

I think its quite a good idea having the post rule, i may impose that on the forum i run.

Latest posts