• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Potential Basque MERGER!!

Tony Manx

TRF Season Ticket Holder
TRF Legend
Club or Nation
Biarritz
Finally, it has been announced that Blanco, President of BO and the President of Bayonne, and their respective main sponsors ...................

"have decided to study the terms of the creation of a Basque rugby identity. Extensive discussions will make a more detailed analysis on the feasibility of this potential transaction."

Wow! Whow would have thought...................please, please get it done!!

Serge Blanco is too fat.
Nice, nice. This is good news. But it may perhaps open doors to other cities who've been bidding for their own Top14 team to fill in the gap. Who knows. Maybe they'll use this as a crappy pretext. I mean it's all about the moneyz, mmkay.
I wonder what they'll do with all the players though...

Boy, discussion is in the air in the hexagonal nation these days !

Serge Blanco is too fat.
Nice, nice. This is good news. But it may perhaps open doors to other cities who've been bidding for their own Top14 team to fill in the gap. Who knows. Maybe they'll use this as a crappy pretext. I mean it's all about the moneyz, mmkay.
I wonder what they'll do with all the players though...

Boy, discussion is in the air in the hexagonal nation these days !

I think that Bayonne will stay up and Biarritz will go down so there will be no other vacancy than the usual!

Word is that they may be looking at the logical merger which is to keep the clubs in existence but to unite as a Top 14 team (and take the position that should be occupied in the Top 14 By Bayonne) but have the exisiting clubs play as feeder clubs to the new one....................only conjecture and anyone's guess is as good as mine!!

well then Oyonnax is done for. They'll divulge some answers soon I've read, I'm curious...this is quite exciting, I'm not really expecting much result out of this immediately, but as we say in French "l'union fait la force".

What would the reaction of fans of BOPB and Bayonne be? Would they be happy to support this new entity or like the Welsh regions, would the new team be met with apathy?

"Apathy is the glove in which evil slips its hand", you remember that one young man.

BO has fallen on some hard times results wise - but the micky mouse ownership at Bayonne would hardly be a good thing to adopt. That said, some of the potential combinations could be exciting (Rokocoko 13, Ngwenya 14 for example)..

Is this a Serge thing not to go down at the end of the season, The TOP 16 looks doomed so this is his only route out bar the Pro D2, how are they going to satisfy both supporters, without a stadium of min 20, 000 and there is not a lot of love lost between the 2 anyway.
There is also the fct that a merger could mean retrograde to Fed 1 now that would not be good news for either and they have said it will be hopefully sorted by March 2014 all very curious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What would the reaction of fans of BOPB and Bayonne be? Would they be happy to support this new entity or like the Welsh regions, would the new team be met with apathy?

I beleive that the reaction is going to be very mixed amongst supporters and the wider rugby world........there is little doubt that there are many supporters on both sides that will resist any "Fusion" very strongly to the point of boycotting it when it comes into being.

Already there are many on the BO side that are saying that it should never happen and Bayonne is not Basque! However, many people have told me that these people are not the true supporters who have the clubs' interests at heart or bought the season tickets or go to every match but the occcasional supporters who really go to matches at Anoeta only!

There are many hurdles before any negotiations can be successful, not least to overcome the type of response that dear old Gaston has exemplified, but the case for Fusion is overwhelming from a financial and geographical point if view. It is important that the culture of both clubs be combined as much as the playing staff but that is not to say that the executive management should be left in the hands of those who have driven the downward spiral of both clubs.

There have been discussions previously between the clubs, the Conseil General and the various municipalities about a new stadium and this can be achieved with the right mindset.......after all the "potential" (but certainly untapped) population base is into the millions as such a team could draw support, with proper marketing, from the likes of Northern Spain (as Biarritz already does to a very small extent to my knowledge) as well as the "real" South West of France outside of the towns themselves, neither of which is big enough!

There will, of course, be losers amongst the players and staff but, to be quite honest, there should be anyway as there are players, managers, physios and trainers on both sides that should not be involved with any Top 14 team.

Paramount will be the need for the present leaders, Blanco and Afflelou to take no more than a ***ular role but certainly not an executive role in the new organisation and for a powerful and competent Chief Executive to be appoiinted to run it as a business if it is to compete successsfully and, therefore suvive itself in the competitive business that is Top14 and European rugby!

If demotion to the Pro 2 is necessary under the rules, I would not object as it must be in the interests of both clubs, and certainly the Basque people, to have a sustainable Top 14 in the South West and Fusion is the only way that this can be achieved in the long term in my humble opinion!

Basque identity is big and if they do the right thing this will be hug!!!
by the way, i would like to see more spanish-basques in the team. :D

I heard at training today that there were 12 players one side and 14 the other out of contract at the end of the season for both BO and Bayonne, whether this is true or not i do not know, but could be an added reason for fusion.

I heard at training today that there were 12 players one side and 14 the other out of contract at the end of the season for both BO and Bayonne, whether this is true or not i do not know, but could be an added reason for fusion.

Not sure about Bayonne but 12 seems about right for BO althoough it was reported recently that those who joined last summer do not have any release clause in their contracts if relegated!

I wonder if pressure from the towns of Biarritz and Bayonne together with the Conseil General (all of whom are committed financially) have put the pressure on and, indeed, whether either or both sides will enter the negotiations on the basis that well, if they fail, they can always say they tried!

What will Spain have to say?

Sorry mate..........about what and when did the Basques care?!!!

So they have no power to stop it? Even indirectly?

Doesn't seem like the sort of thing they'd like, especially if it's heavily marketed as Basque?

Spain has no control over what two rugby clubs in France or any other country do!

The fact that they wish to describe themselves as a Basque club is irrelevant (and also true as the "Basque country" stretches from Bayonne to Bilbao down to Vittoria) and with the common european market any cross border marketing for supporters cannot be stopped either.

I am not sure that this would affect their rugby as it is not huge in northern Spain to my knowledge and certainly not to the level of the Top 14!

Last edited:
Does not look hopeful really..........!

Blanco on BO website:

"We realized that we needed a feasibility study for the future. It was right to exploit all possibilities. It will determine the benefits and disadvantages "

Sounds like a cop out

Although not everyone will agree with the merger of BO and Bayonne, but from how people are reacting it could well happen, watched the debate before and after the OYO V Sale game last night on Eurosport, interesting as both clubs would still exist up to the Espoirs, then a union, better word than fusion, would happen with the pro side. Bayonne ground would be the obvious choice as its capacity is 17,500 and they estimate a buget of around 25 million which would put them up amongst the top 4 clubs buget wise. the two clubs will keep their history (100yrs+) but have an excellent chance of competing with the best in the TOP 14 and Europe. Will probably be hard for the supporters to accept but time is always a good healer.
The out of contract players was 17 from BO and 12 from Bayonne exact no's stateted. Financially is seems something worth considering but it will be very difficult to put in place but as Jean Baptiste Lafond put it last night quote" if Nelson Mandela can do what he did in South Africa with Millions of whites and mixed race, the fusion between the two clubs would be easy" he just forget to announce the passing away of this great South African before he opened his mouth!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Although not everyone will agree with the merger of BO and Bayonne, but from how people are reacting it could well happen, watched the debate before and after the OYO V Sale game last night on Eurosport, interesting as both clubs would still exist up to the Espoirs, then a union, better word than fusion, would happen with the pro side. Bayonne ground would be the obvious choice as its capacity is 17,500 and they estimate a buget of around 25 million which would put them up amongst the top 4 clubs buget wise. the two clubs will keep their history (100yrs+) but have an excellent chance of competing with the best in the TOP 14 and Europe. Will probably be hard for the supporters to accept but time is always a good healer.
The out of contract players was 17 from BO and 12 from Bayonne exact no's stateted. Financially is seems something worth considering but it will be very difficult to put in place but as Jean Baptiste Lafond put it last night quote" if Nelson Mandela can do what he did in South Africa with Millions of whites and mixed race, the fusion between the two clubs would be easy" he just forget to announce the passing away of this great South African before he opened his mouth!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds very encouraging indeed and that must be good news!! I think it is only the rabid element that cannot see beyond their own noses that will not see it is the only answer!

However, as I said earlier it will be down to the choice of management as to whether and how quickly it works as a winning side will secure the support far quicker than a struggling one and neither Afflelou or Blanco have good track records at managing rugby clubs despite their success in other fields!

The announcment of Mandela's death only came hours after the discussion!!

Racing-Métro 92 is actually a union between Racing Club of France and US Métro, two clubs that still exist separately at youth level, so that could be the way to go.

Long term, we've all been knowing that the Basque Country had room for a single side in the Top 14. A couple of years ago we thought Bayonne would be the one disappearing, now it looks like BO is about to go down (I think that when one of the two goes down, if they don't come back up straight, they won't be coming back up at all). The alternative is to act before it happens on its own and create some sort of union at professional level, which owuld prevent the risk of both teams disappearing while trying to be the one that survive.

Traditionally, BO support has been stronger along the coast (the more metro part pf the Basque country), while Bayonne has been more popular in the countryside. One has to wonder what will happen, in the long term, with the other professional sides closeby, namely Dax, Pau and Mont de Marsan.

As for the stadium, maybe they could build a new one, given that both their stadiums are quite small. Anglet could be a good place (from google maps, there is some room north of the boulevard du BAB).

Players and coaching staff are just details, this would be a long term project. I think that if both clubs are relegated, this will happen, if not, I don't see AB going for it.

Latest posts