• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pre season training

brooksey101

Academy Player
Hi i know its a little late but has anyone got a decent training programme that they can show me for pre season training in the gym? Some really good leg excercises to build muscle and work the stabilizer muscles would also go down a treat.

Ive got a average to good understanding of gym and techniques needed.

20 years play prop and am around 110kg 6ft tall. Over weight i know but still get round the pitch more than most and working on shifting some timber.

Thank you for your time and help!! :D

Stronglifts!

It's traditionally used for starters (you start with the bar and nothing else and add 2.5kg each session, but you could start with whatever weight you can move 5x5 of, then up it from there, or use their advanced one) :
Here is 5x5: http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/
Here is 5x5 advanced: http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-advanced-strength-muscle-building-training-program/
You need to put in your email to get the e-book but it's all free and legit and they don't spam you or anything - ebook is well worth a read though, whether you choose to do the programme or not, got some stellar info in it about training

Seems like it's not very much in the workouts but works all muscle groups, is all compound movements - also squats 3 times a week is a killer (in a good way ;) - but as it's pre-season this won't matter as much, and it'll get the amount you're squatting up)

Alternatively a traditional push/pull/legs split, something like:

Push:
Flat bench,
Overhead Press
Incline d/b bench
Lateral & Front raises
Overhead tricep extensions or Dips

Pull:
Deadlifts
Rows
Pull/Chinups
Shrugs
Hammer curls

Legs:
Squats
Straight leg deadlifts
Calf raises
Leg press or Leg extensions
Leg curls

Throw in some core workouts if you want (though squats and deads will hit your core too) - things like planks, weighted hanging leg raises, side bends
Compound movements do lower reps, more sets (so Squats, deads, bench, do 4-6 reps, 4 or 5 sets) - supplementary exercises do higher reps (8-12 reps, 3 sets)

I do the push/pull/legs and I'm seeing good results (and I started on the Stronglifts beginners and definitely saw an increase in leg strength)

Last edited:
Hi i know its a little late but has anyone got a decent training programme that they can show me for pre season training in the gym? Some really good leg excercises to build muscle and work the stabilizer muscles would also go down a treat.

Ive got a average to good understanding of gym and techniques needed.

20 years play prop and am around 110kg 6ft tall. Over weight i know but still get round the pitch more than most and working on shifting some timber.

Thank you for your time and help!! :D

Hi brooksey101,

What's your focus? Strength/Size? Metabolic fitness?

Ultimately your goals and time constraints will determine your programme. You said "build muscle and work the stabilizer muscles" which i'd have thought you'd automatically include in your programme as a given, no?

In the end there's many ways to skin a cat but knowing what your goals are first will help..

cheers, go well

Latest posts