• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Predictions for RLWC 2013

Cook Islands to upset Wales in pool play.Cookies hard

After seeing their squad they look way better than I thought they would!! There ranking of 18th is possibly deceiving, they are actually ranked below Canada at the moment who aren't even going to the RLWC this time around.

And England lose 14-15 to Italy in today's friendly. I can't help but find that absolutely hilarious. Some of the England players needing taking down a peg or two, and so did most of the fans.

Reality bites!

lol that is shocking really, Italy do have some decent players but really? How badly did England play?
France losing to the USA was also a pretty decent upset. Id be suprised if they make 2nd in pool b.

I didn't see it, it wasn't televised. From what I've told they were absolutely atrocious.

I'm hesitant to take too much out of warm up matches, they are usually played at a reduced pace and often teams try different combinations and strategies. Certainly not good news for England and French fans but I'm not going to say they are done and dusted yet.

In fact if you are going to play like crap and get rid of the cobwebs these are the exact right games to do so in LOL.

Are Italy basically semi-pro's with a couple of lesser NRL players?

Just a case of bad attitude on behalf of England?

Italy does have quite a lot of NRL players in their side. Anthony Minichiello captained Sydney Roosters to win the NRL final and will captain Italy this RLWC.
Their pro players are: Anthony Minichiello (Roosters), Mark Minichiello (Gold Coast), Kade Snowden (Newcastle), Cameron Ciraldo (Penrith), James Tedesco (Wests Tigers), Joel Riethmuller (North Queensland), Paul Vaughan (Canberra), Josh Mantellato (Newcastle), Anthony Laffranchi (former Wests Tigers and Gold Coast, now with St Helens) and Vic Mauro (former Manly, now with Salford).

Not exactly a bad bunch.

I'm hesitant to take too much out of warm up matches, they are usually played at a reduced pace and often teams try different combinations and strategies. Certainly not good news for England and French fans but I'm not going to say they are done and dusted yet.

In fact if you are going to play like crap and get rid of the cobwebs these are the exact right games to do so in LOL.

The England team must have been half ****** though lol, seriously that does not look good for them. Can you honestly see them beating Aussie now? I would have given them a 10% chance before that game, now its just dipped a little bit to 5%.

France is hard to read because they are such a passionate nation and when they're in the mood they can do so well. I personally think Samoa will beat them though, id consider it a bit of an upset if France won. Im tipping France to take the spoon in pool b, but can see them taking 2nd if they played out of the skins I just would be a bit surprised.

Last edited:
The England team must have been half ****** though lol, seriously that does not look good for them. Can you honestly see them beating Aussie now? I would have given them a 10% chance before that game, now its just dipped a little bit to 5%.

France is hard to read because they are such a passionate nation and when they're in the mood they can do so well. I personally think Samoa will beat them though, id consider it a bit of an upset if France won. Im tipping France to take the spoon in pool b, but can see them taking 2nd if they played out of the skins I just would be a bit surprised.

I certainly agree it isn't great news, but I've seen teams killed in meaningless matches in plenty of sports and jump right back up, just look at Samoa in Union this year, their performance against the MTN Lions was probably the least I've ever seen atheletes try ever in a sporting event in my life and they were comically embarrased....than they came back and pulled out big wins right afterword in games that mattered. I'm just urging some caution when we read into these results and that they could be just one offs that have no bearing on the rest of the RLWC.

Edit: I've always felt Samoa and France would be a close one I can see it going either way, possibly advantage Samoa at this point.

The England coach has blamed the attitude of the players on the result. Much of the game was played in a very unseasonal and very heavy thunderstorm too. I didn't go to the game but I work and live in the path of the storm, it was pretty spectacular.

I certainly agree it isn't great news, but I've seen teams killed in meaningless matches in plenty of sports and jump right back up, just look at Samoa in Union this year, their performance against the MTN Lions was probably the least I've ever seen atheletes try ever in a sporting event in my life and they were comically embarrased....than they came back and pulled out big wins right afterword in games that mattered. I'm just urging some caution when we read into these results and that they could be just one offs that have no bearing on the rest of the RLWC.

Edit: I've always felt Samoa and France would be a close one I can see it going either way, possibly advantage Samoa at this point.

I can't say i follow French rugby league very closely but seeing most of their players play for Les Catalan's a middling super league team (half of them aren't even starters), i cant see them on paper matching the Samoan's. However sport isn't played on paper I know, so we will have to wait and see. They may have the advantage of better combinations but thats about it as far as i can see.

I know what you're trying to say, I mean even the pool games have no bearing on playoff results as the last world cup will show. England and France will be hurting even if it is just a warm up. Australia is also hurting from the last World cup result so I don't see any complacency coming from them. I still think Aussie will most likely thrash England by 20 points.

PNG is a team that cant be underestimated as well, it is their national sport. They just love league I can see them upsetting some more fancied teams ie France and potentially Samoa.

edit: Samoa got pumped 52-16 by England A, they must have had a few beers with England. This will be an interesting World cup. Still think they will take 2nd in pool b, but i have Fiji beating them in the QF.

Last edited:

Latest posts