5. Gloucester
6. Harlequins
7. Sale
8. Wasps
9. Exeter
10. London Irish
11. Newcastle
12. London Welsh

Thins are going to be very tight, I think the squads of the top 8-10 teams are the closest I've seen in a long time. For me, Tigers are looking ominous. They had a strong base to build on, have recruited well and will be very motivated after a disappointing season by their standards in 2013/14. Saints have broken their finals drought and have kept a double winning squad together with a few useful additions. Sarries on the other hand haven't had as consistent a pre-season as their rivals (didn't they send their players on a trip to America?) and I'm not convinced we'll see the same step up in style we saw between the 2012/13 and 2013/14 season. Also, the other top table clubs now have packs which should be able to match, if not better the 'Wolf Pack' (ugh) and we've seen that without dominance in the forwards Sarries look pretty average. Bath have recruited well and I'd back them to go one step further than last time, but I still have doubts over Mike Ford's ability to get the best out of what should be an very exciting squad.

From fifth through to ninth is far too close to call. Ask me next week and I'd probably rank those teams differently. Gloucester look to have got a much better back and a 10 who will actually turn up while I'd back my beloved Quins to push for the top four on style and execution in the backs alone although our forwards are going to get chewed up against the top four (see the Pre-Season thread). Sale and Wasps are similar looking squads IMO and if they defend well could place higher while Exeter will need their young guns to take another step up if they want finisher higher. But I honestly think that anyone of the teams I've places between 5 and 9 could, if they perform at their limits and get a bit of luck, make the play-offs.

Irish are safe but uninspiring. If Falcons don't play with more imagination this year they could be in trouble but I don't see Welsh being consistent enough to stay up. Poor Piri!

Nice analysis of Quins position. I'm backing Clifford to have a big season and hopefully Matthews will step up a notch as well. I'd also add that Molenaar's departure is as much about the signing of Tikoirotuma to play 13 as it is about hoping JTH will remain fit. I imagine Grimoldby will be our starting LV 10 and play a big when he isn't up at Nottingham. You're right about this being Botica's time to step up.

In terms of players to look out for, I'd add Sam Hill at Exeter, Harry Thacker at Leicester (although game time may be limited) and Joel Hodgson at Northampton. Also, you seem to have a few too many Kvesics, is he the new Davey Seymour?

How much game time do you think SiSi will get?

Well, my top 4 order was off but hey, right people!

Woefully undefeated Chiefs!

Latest posts