• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Premiership Rugby 18/19 - Rd 21

La Rochelle and Clermont will almost definitely qualify via league place, so would iv) mean us vs Harlequins, except they're going to qualify regardless so we get it by default?
Only if La Rochelle confirm top six isn't a given a Montpellier one game behind but I agree big stretch to see the results go in a crap way for Sale.
Most games in theory still have something to play for one or both in theory various teams can be 6th with bizarre set of results.

So whats the thoughts on Hughes?

He seeems to be used in the right way by wasps, at pace slightly wider rather yhan a battering ram into heavy traffic. He will go to Japan and he needs to be used in the right way by EJ otherwise we may as well leave him at home.

And for god sake he needs to be kept away from the breakdown!

I agree. I think Hughes is basically asked to play like Billy Vunipola when he's playing for England, which is not his strength.

He looks a lot better playing a slightly wider game, but TBH, I'd still select other players for England. Hughes has way too many brain dead moments for a test player and his work rate isn't good enough IMO.

It's nothing new, he's always been great for Wasps (when on form) but none of that matters when in an England shirt.
Combination of being asked to play a different game and just not being able to step up.
Gameplan isn't what got him driven 5m back by Faf from a scrum.

Gameplan isn't what got him driven 5m back by Faf from a scrum.

No, that was him getting it wrong, which happens to everyone occasionally. Bit unfair to keep hanging him for that one incident....or can you name lots of other times when he got duffed up by the little guy?

When Hughes did get a run in the national team he was starting to look OK. Not earth shattering, but OK.

FWIW I'd have Morgan over him (and Binny for that matter) any day of the week.

No, that was him getting it wrong, which happens to everyone occasionally. Bit unfair to keep hanging him for that one incident....or can you name lots of other times when he got duffed up by the little guy?
I can't remember him ever imposing himself at international level, tbh

Hughes has had a few decent games in recent weeks, but Morgan has been the best Number 8 in the Premiership by a distance this season IMO.

I find it cruelly ironic that he was picked for England when he wasn't playing particularly well for Gloucester yet is bizarrely ignored when he's playing out of his skin in favour of inferior players.

Why are wasps releasing Lovobalavu?
From the broadcast, it sounded like it was the player's decision, but maybe I just misunderstood? I know he's 34, but you can't intentionally dump a player like that, can you?

I can't name them, but it's happened multiple times in most of the games he's played.

No exaggeration - his sloppiness in the carry means he gets dominated far too often.

Latest posts