• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Premiership Rugby 19/20 - Rd 14

Willis, Curry, Dombrandt with another Curry on the bench?
Two of Underhill/Curry/Willis at 6/7, the other on the bench, Dombrandt at 8

** Edit: forgot about Hill. He's phenomenonal, what a headache to have

If EJ still intends on resting a lot of world cup players in the next internationals (it was meant to be over the summer - who knows now) I'd definitely bring Ben Curry into the squad for as much experience/game time as he can get, so he can drop in seamlessly, but I'm not sure if I'd have him and Tom in the squad at the same time (especially as there's already 3 opensides in the EPS - 4 if Willis comes in)

Good win, happy with that. Saints didn't take chances. Biting my tongue on criticising Dixon but tbf restart and new pressure on certain rules meant hard to be critical. Willis is a machine and at the moment 3 good break down backrowers makes a lot of sense. Also thought Umaga had a quality game as did Robson & Bassett.

We've got too many good backrowers coming through. It's got to be impossible to make a bad pick.
Any 3 from Vunipola, Curry, Curry, Underhill, Hill, Willis, Willis (TBC), Simmonds, Mercer, Dombrandt, Earle, Ludlam, Wilson.
There are going to be some seriously good players who just can't make the cut.

There WILL be fans unhappy that their favourite is missing out but pick from that lot, and there WILL be a good backrow on the pitch. Oh, and if Earle and Ludlam end up as the selection from that lot, I reserve the right to complain anyway

Last edited:
I know he's got a lot of money in the bank (ho ho ho) but I can't remember the last time Binny put in a top level performance for club or country tbh - maybe the season in the championship will help him recharge his batteries but if we're truly looking at more fringe guys in the world cup hangover period them he's out of my EPS for now

We've got too many good backrowers coming through. It's got to be impossible to make a bad pick.
Any 3 from Vunipola, Curry, Curry, Underhill, Hill, Willis, Willis, Simmonds, Mercer, Dombrandt.
Don't forget Earl and Ludlam on top of that.

It's absurd.

I know he's got a lot of money in the bank (ho ho ho) but I can't remember the last time Binny put in a top level performance for club or country tbh - maybe the season in the championship will help him recharge his batteries but if we're truly looking at more fringe guys in the world cup hangover period them he's out of my EPS for now
I distinctly remember the last time that I thought he looked good and it was when he scored off the back of a scrum against Leinster in the Champions Cup final over a year ago. Ever since that game he's been very average. He just isn't anywhere near as explosive in his carrying anymore.

Agreed, and I was certainly saying as much during the RWC.
I still think it's mental though, complacency. I still champion dropping him for a match or two, give Mercer & Dombrandt their chance and give Billy a kick up the arse.

But... form is temporary, and we know he's got the class.

Yellow seems fair... point of contact on chest (nobody was hurt), arm definitely went up and over shoulder but don't think there was force in that part/low degree of danger. Also a dip by ball carrier after jump.

Dickson best ref of the weekend so far IMO.

*Did anyone catch Launchbury getting his head stamped on? Not sure it was intentional. In the play just before Dickson reviewed the tackle.
So it was a perfectly legal hit? And the only iligal action was the arm going over the sholder? Penalty only. The hit was chest so legal, the force was legal because the point of contact was legal. But arm was slightly over the shoulder...penalty? Not sure why a yellow still.

Willis, Curry, Dombrandt with another Curry on the bench?
Would love to see a game with the england back row vs that back row

TCurry. Vs BCurry
Underhill Vs. Willis
Billy. Vs Dombrandt

Wilson. Vs Hill

I think it's because we focus too much on sending Billy into traffic. I think his role now is more about tightening defences and sucking in defenders than bashing through the line. It's a Warrenball type tactic and I don't like it as it falls flat on its face when you use it against a physical side prepared to deal with him. Billy V with 2 carrying flankers sharing the load would be quite a different beast I imagine. Having said that, Dombrandt is not that much less explosive yet seems faster, more agile with better handling and rugby intelligence too. I think the slight loss in power would be more than made up for elsewhere.

Any 3 from Vunipola, Curry, Curry, Underhill, Hill, Willis, Willis (TBC), Simmonds, Mercer, Dombrandt, Earle, Ludlam, Wilson.

There WILL be fans unhappy that their favourite is missing out but pick from that lot, and there WILL be a good backrow on the pitch. Oh, and if Earle and Ludlam end up as the selection from that lot, I reserve the right to complain anyway
Can any of these play lock? They always take back row spots so give them a taste of their own medicine! :)

But seriously all of them you could make an argument for, the one i feel bad for is Ben Curry, he is an absolute class player but he must be gutted his twin brother is England no.1 and with all others coming through he might not get his shot.

We're reaching a point where we're genuinely spoilt for choice.

I'm not sure why you're singling out Earl negatively? IMO he certainly has a legitimate shout from a form perspective and offers a point of difference with his pace and style of play.

Ludlam and Wilson have to be vulnerable IMO. We won't know for sure until he gets a chance, but Willis looks like he offers everything they do and a fair bit more.

As I've mentioned a number of times, I really do see Ted Hill as the future of the 6 shirt. He offers everything I'd want in a blindside and his lineout prowess gives him an advantage.

I see those two as taking Ludlam and Wilson's places.

Ben Curry's likely to be very unfortunate but he has a lot to do to outshine his brother, Underhill, Willis and Earl IMO.

At 8, I really want to see Dombrandt and/or Mercer given a shot. As others have said, Billy hasn't performed to an outstanding level for quite a while and under the new laws, I wonder if he could be a little bit of a liability? With the breakdown really favouring the jackal, Billy's tendency to get isolated is a worry for me. Obviously I'm over simplifying it, but basically, I'd sacrifice a couple of extra metres to keep the ball.

Finished with 4 out of 6 predictions correct.
Been a brilliant weekend for young english backrow.

I think Wilson's probably out - Newcastle aren't even playing any rugby until.....whenever the new season starts. Considering he's only played...twice? since the world cup if EJ doesn't pick him in Six/Eight Nations squad I think someone else will take his place permanently

Finished with 4 out of 6 predictions correct.
Same,
I was 50/50 on how Worcester vs Gloucester would go (and then the red card happened....) but Wasps really surprised me

Latest posts