• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Premiership Rugby 21/22 - Rd 9

I think pretty much every side does - Andre Estherhuizen is terrible for it, Hughes/Sinckler, etc.
Most ridiculous part of McGuigan throwing a tantrum (and Tompkins) is that he's easily the worst player for it in our squad/one of the worst in league - constantly chipping at people etc.

I'd like to see referees just instantly penalise it - celebrating a scrum penalty? Oh well, it's going the other way now etc.

Not sure how much traction you can get punishing someone for being against the "spirit" of a law but not actually against the law. It's sort of the whole point of laws.
I guess it's so you don't have to cover every possible eventuality in the law book. He had said some refs he's spoken to would allow it. They obvs would ask ref on the day did

I guess it's so you don't have to cover every possible eventuality in the law book. He had said some refs he's spoken to would allow it. They obvs would ask ref on the day did
It would make more sense to simply say the ball going forward off any body part except the foot or leg is a knock on, instantly covered it and don't need to worry about a bunch of other possibilities.

Seeing a lot of people commenting about Saracens and their celebrating. Whilst I agree it's very over the top unfortunately they aren't the only side that do it these days (Chiefs I'm looking at you guys for example).
Doesn't change the fact that it was a red card though, absolutely stupid from McGuigan there.
For me there is a difference between congratulating your team and shouting at the opposition. I'm fine with the first, not so much with the second. Little comments and wind ups are fine, shouting in someone's face is not. Tompkins didn't celebrate with his team, he shouted at McGuigan. Doesn't excuse McGuigan though at all.

Unsportsmanlike conduct has always been there as a catch-all for "anything else that random chance may throw up"; it's always been used in cases like this as well.
Of course, it also leaves it 100% up to the ref's discretion, meaning that Nige can't (accurately) say "That's against the laws", but he can say "I'd have penalised that"

For me there is a difference between congratulating your team and shouting at the opposition. I'm fine with the first, not so much with the second. Little comments and wind ups are fine, shouting in someone's face is not. Tompkins didn't celebrate with his team, he shouted at McGuigan. Doesn't excuse McGuigan though at all.
I've seen a lot of comments about this incident so I've just watched back on the reply again in case my Saracens tinted glasses saw it wrong at the time.

They didn't. Tompkins pats him on the head and makes a little comment the likes of which you see every single weekend rugby is played, pretty much every match. McGuigan completely looses it and attacks him. Unacceptable.

I don't mind them congratulating their own team either but I did not like the way Simmonds celebrated his try on Friday night as it looked like he was trying to goad the crowd behind the post.

I don't mind them congratulating their own team either but I did not like the way Simmonds celebrated his try on Friday night as it looked like he was trying to goad the crowd behind the post.
What? Why? Ive just watched it again on the back of your comment and dont know what your on about with regards to the Simmonds try. He scores, stands up and gets surrounded buy his team because the try secured the win on a hard fort game. He wasnt exactly screaming at the crowd or over the top celebrating...

makes a little comment the likes of which you see every single weekend rugby is played
Literally shouts in his face, lol

But also that's exactly what everyone in this thread is saying - goading opponents should be a penalty the other way
Just because every team has a bellend that does it doesn't mean it's OK

Gutted about the loss and being slow out the blocks and really could have gone on to win it. If Frost hadn't been in the channel, you would have backed the chance to get a pen and have Umaga/Gopps slot it.

Also just watched the Tompkins/McGuigan incident.... @TRF_Olyy - you must have been screaming at the Telly, what an Idiot.

Some of the celebrating is a bit hysterical, but it doesn't really grate too much….except when backs run in 30 metres to congratulate their front row on winning a pen.

I'm all for a bit of chat / winding up and if it gets under an opponent's skin so much the better. It's always been part of the game and most of the time it's little more than aimless p*ss taking. But if it does cause a reaction from an opponent, that's fine by me. McGuigan will know he made a fool of himself and let down his team.

thumbnail_Byron-McGuigan-Infographic.jpeg

Mitigation is a joke, but halving bans is basically the standard - rare it doesn't happen these days (unless you're Mike Williams refusing to accept responsibility)

Against the spirit of the game sounds like such a cop out to me.

World rugby should just say is it ok or not.
the game has been played for what? 150 years now. If something is against the spirit of the law they should just write it down.

Common law systems have to make law as they go because that is what the system is based on and new scenarios are always popping up as the world changes.

Common law games work when it's played in a schoolyard, but a large professional sport shouldn't be having a catch all law.

the game has been played for what? 150 years now. If something is against the spirit of the law they should just write it down.

Common law systems have to make law as they go because that is what the system is based on and new scenarios are always popping up as the world changes.

Common law games work when it's played in a schoolyard, but a large professional sport shouldn't be having a catch all law.
Although common law works for the current English law system though, I use it quite often at work.

Combine that with some defined legislation and it's solid.

Oh I use it at work all the time too and I'll Stan for it til the end of time. Just saying that there's a difference between the rules for playing a game and the way we live our lives.

thumbnail_Byron-McGuigan-Infographic.jpeg

Mitigation is a joke, but halving bans is basically the standard - rare it doesn't happen these days (unless you're Mike Williams refusing to accept responsibility)
Honestly ridiculous, he's been a bell end of the tallest order two moments of utter thuggery both worthy of cards, can't even argue it was heat of the moment given how it continued.

Because it was intentional, it's one or the other
Ahh my interperation of reckless slighlty off then. I was thinking it was reckless as in it was intentionally reckless but obviously referring to unintentionally reckless.

Latest posts