• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Premiership Rugby 22/23 - Rd 3

Watched Saints/Tigers and Leicester just pulverised them up front in the end. Is it just me or do Northampton never do well against the top teams?. They outscore the middle-to bottom teams but against the big boys they always get outmuscled.

First home game and great to be back in the stands.

Gloucester were by far the better side for nearly all of the game. Sarries making too many sloppy mistakes and failing to do the basics. Yet the self belief within Sarries remained culminating in a frantic final 6 minute period and two converted tries to secure another BP win.

Still a lot of work to be done, but promising signs even when most other sides would capitulate.

Well if that was our last game for a while/in the prem/ever, then what a way to go
I'm with you @EdBirch , the win feels so much sweeter with the unknown future. I've felt the same both (ironically) this time and when Varndell tackled Vesty and helped get us the win, 20 mins from relegation and administration.

On the Tigers vs Saints game, Saints looked ace first half but scrum was always creaking and line out wasn't great. Moreover, as soon as second half started and Saints lost Lawes but also Mitchell started to get tired, saints fell off. That was complied by the hat trick of yellows and the scrum falling to pieces.

Clearly saints scrum has to be better, but also it shows how key Mitchell is to get quick front foot ball for the forwards but also utilising those backs such as Freeman, Furbank, Hutchinson etc. He seemed to fall of the Pace, got his yellow and never really recovered.

Saints remind me of a better version of Wasps, when on front foot and confidence is up, unplayable at times. However, if confidence drops or something doesn't go right, everything comes crashing down.

Then watched the highlights of the other games, my notes so far.

Wuss vs Falcons - Wuss were so up for it, played some great rugby by the looks of It. The one think i did notice was sadly how empty Sixways was, probably stems back to the difficulties they are in.

Then watched the highlights of the other games, my notes so far.

Wuss vs Falcons - Wuss were so up for it, played some great rugby by the looks of It. The one think i did notice was sadly how empty Sixways was, probably stems back to the difficulties they are in.
For safety reasons they were restricted to 4,999, all in one stand I think.

I'm with you @EdBirch , the win feels so much sweeter with the unknown future. I've felt the same both (ironically) this time and when Varndell tackled Vesty and helped get us the win, 20 mins from relegation and administration.

On the Tigers vs Saints game, Saints looked ace first half but scrum was always creaking and line out wasn't great. Moreover, as soon as second half started and Saints lost Lawes but also Mitchell started to get tired, saints fell off. That was complied by the hat trick of yellows and the scrum falling to pieces.

Clearly saints scrum has to be better, but also it shows how key Mitchell is to get quick front foot ball for the forwards but also utilising those backs such as Freeman, Furbank, Hutchinson etc. He seemed to fall of the Pace, got his yellow and never really recovered.

Saints remind me of a better version of Wasps, when on front foot and confidence is up, unplayable at times. However, if confidence drops or something doesn't go right, everything comes crashing down.
You could say the same about Quins TBH. We've developed a bad habit of starting really well, building a lead and then reverting to a really conservative gameplan that doesn't suit our players. In our last two games against Saracens, we did exactly that …

Interesting on the falcons site, the biggest concerns are..

The defensive structure or complete lack of. Tackling is a basic of the game.

The fitness and strength of our players. That we look unfit and underpowered...particularly in the Collisions etc. (An area Mark Wilson has been brought in to address interestingly enough)

Lots of work to be done.

Honestly I do think Easter was underrated by Falcons fans
The defence went backwards under him. Under John Wells it was a brick wall but under Easter It was ok in the middle but atrocious out wide. Now it's atrocious everywhere.

However players just not making basic tackles is simply inexcusable....

The defence went backwards under him. Under John Wells it was a brick wall but under Easter It was ok in the middle but atrocious out wide. Now it's atrocious everywhere.

However players just not making basic tackles is simply inexcusable....

Did it go backwards because of him or the quality of the players?

I was a big fan of Nick Easter he player but I think the jury is very much still out on his credentials as a coach.

He didn't do a great job as defence coach at Quins. At the time, he was given a fairly easy ride because it was interpreted as being to do with difficulties transitioning from being a player to a coach with former teammates. We were also pretty crap in all respects back then too, but with a few jobs under his belt now and no unanimously successful ones to point at, perhaps he's just not a particularly good coach?

Latest posts