• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Premiership Rugby 23/24 - Rd 5

True,
They were talking about it in the context of the amount of leavers Chiefs had over the summer and how that might have been masked by a good preseason and then going in vs disrupted sides
Wasn't aware of that conversation but been thinking along similar lines.

We (Chiefs) have a shocking away form and something has to change as it's been 13(?) months now without a win. That said, I can't grumble about today's result. If you keep kicking away possession into Saints' hands, they are going to punish you. I think Frost should've stayed on a little longer as the line out all but fell apart with Yeandle on. To go top again would have been nice but at least 5th place tempers the hype which this young side does not need at the moment.

Bonkers red card, bonkers. That's saying he's intentionally left his leg out isn't it? Smith has gone low for the hit and, most likely, closed his eyes and ran into his foot.
Honestly i cant complain about the red, he stuck his leg out obv to balance himself but hitting an on running player in the fce it cant just be a rugby incident. He was still quite upright tbh.

Very gutted about the result and performance really, we just got beat and the best team won.

Honestly i cant complain about the red, he stuck his leg out obv to balance himself but hitting an on running player in the fce it cant just be a rugby incident. He was still quite upright tbh.

Very gutted about the result and performance really, we just got beat and the best team won.
I felt the same as I do now when Jordie Barrett got a red card for the same action. We don't have to red card accidents!

I felt the same as I do now when Jordie Barrett got a red card for the same action. We don't have to red card accidents!
I dont know how this is fixed because players start to lose balance and react automatically but then there is a player chasing the ball gets that boot to the face because at the last second a the player was off balance.

He jumped uncontested, wasnt knocked in the air and was off balance which wasnt intentional but causing a boot to the face of the opposition so i accept the red.

Really not sure why you have an issue with that, legs in nothing like a natural position, it's not hugely dissimilar to one Paolo Igogwu got a red for against Sale a couple of seasons ago, that has to bed a red all day every day, if it isn't players may start to stick limbs out like that deliberately, then what ref decides who's guilty and who's not, I know it sucks when it happens to your team but sometimes you just have to accept it's not perfect but probably the best for the good of the game and players safety.

Really not sure why you have an issue with that, legs in nothing like a natural position, it's not hugely dissimilar to one Paolo Igogwu got a red for against Sale a couple of seasons ago, that has to bed a red all day every day, if it isn't players may start to stick limbs out like that deliberately, then what ref decides who's guilty and who's not, I know it sucks when it happens to your team but sometimes you just have to accept it's not perfect but probably the best for the good of the game and players safety.
So Armstrong deliberately kicked Smith in the face to get a red?

No he didn't did he.

So it was an accident, what about Finn smith crowding Armstrongs space to land?

I'd also add, duty of care for the tackler is on the tackler not the ball carrier. So if the same laws apply it should be on smith not to run into the foot of Armstrong. It's a tackle in the air.

So Armstrong deliberately kicked Smith in the face to get a red?

No he didn't did he.

So it was an accident, what about Finn smith crowding Armstrongs space to land?

I'd also add, duty of care for the tackler is on the tackler not the ball carrier. So if the same laws apply it should be on smith not to run into the foot of Armstrong. It's a tackle in the air.
Where did I say it was deliberate? , I said if it isn't punished it could create a situation where players do, do it intentionally, we are then asking refs to determine what is and isn't deliberate, even more room for inconsistencies. Crowding space? he had his legs at almost a 90 degree angle vs his body, no real need for that and the fact that the game has numerous high balls every game and this isn't a constant talking point tells you as much, what do you expect would be tacklers to do give enough 'landing space room' plus the distance of the air bourne players full leg extension? As I originally said I think it's harsh and less than ideal for it to be reffed this way BUT it's better than any alternatives I can think of, calling it a rugby incident for me is a no go for the reasons already stated.

Where did I say it was deliberate? , I said if it isn't punished it could create a situation where players do, do it intentionally, we are then asking refs to determine what is and isn't deliberate, even more room for inconsistencies. Crowding space? he had his legs at almost a 90 degree angle vs his body, no real need for that and the fact that the game has numerous high balls every game and this isn't a constant talking point tells you as much, what do you expect would be tacklers to do give enough 'landing space room' plus the distance of the air bourne players full leg extension? As I originally said I think it's harsh and less than ideal for it to be reffed this way BUT it's better than any alternatives I can think of, calling it a rugby incident for me is a no go for the reasons already stated.
Apologies I thought you'd mentioned deliberate, my mistake. So you think he accidentally put his leg out to balance himself.

I'd like to know, if the leg had been a bent knee (like we normally see from a jumping player), would smith have made contact in the air as it looked that way.

Apologies I thought you'd mentioned deliberate, my mistake. So you think he accidentally put his leg out to balance himself.

I'd like to know, if the leg had been a bent knee (like we normally see from a jumping player), would smith have made contact in the air as it looked that way.
Very difficult to say and if this was the case the blame and punishment is solely on the grounded player, so many decisions come down to such fine margins that any one of many variables can have a dramatic change in outcome, I guess this is the gift and curse of the game.

Latest posts