• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Prevent games from being talked about in other threads

TRF Mr Fish

Your Piscine Overlord
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Just a minor suggestion, which I think would be nice to implement.

On days like today would it be possible to have an alert at the top of the page (in every forum, thread etc.) telling users to please not talk about games outside of the designated thread, at least for 12 hours or so? I didn't notice anyone mentioning any today, but it's nice being able to take part in the discussion in one game (e.g. NZ v France) without someone mentioning the score in another game, and thereby spoiling the result for anyone who hasn't seen the match yet. Obviously when you've got 6 or 7 matches to watch (some on at the same time as others!) you can't watch every game live, and it has the potential to be very frustrating if someone does spoil the result for you. Most members seem to be pretty good at this anyway, but a reminder at the top of the forum would be cool, just as a precaution?

Only if it's easily done, of course :)

I can see where you're coming from, but the rugby community is such a 'global' one, everyone tends to be interested in all the games. Can't see the 'spoiler alert' type thing happening.

That would be extremely difficult to police.

I have had to stay of Twitter and Facebook for 12 hours because I was out yesterday and unable to watch the two RLWC games. I'm still watching England vs Fiji and I have Ireland vs. Australia to come. It's not a problem on TRF but it would be in every other facet of life for me.

I get what you're saying but unless someone is explicitly saying "LOLZ SPOILERZ" then there's not a lot we can do about it I'm afraid.

That would be extremely difficult to police.

I have had to stay of Twitter and Facebook for 12 hours because I was out yesterday and unable to watch the two RLWC games. I'm still watching England vs Fiji and I have Ireland vs. Australia to come. It's not a problem on TRF but it would be in every other facet of life for me.

I get what you're saying but unless someone is explicitly saying "LOLZ SPOILERZ" then there's not a lot we can do about it I'm afraid.

Oh it wouldn't be a ban as such, nor would it require moderation. Simply a disclaimer at the top of the page saying something along the lines of 'Please try and refrain from mentioning scores in game outside their dedicated threads until 12 hours after the game has finished' that could go up on days where there are a bunch of games being played. It would just act as a nice reminder that not everyone can watch the games live.