• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Probable Bok Starting XV

Goosen played at 13 but I still think he is a better option for 10 or 15. The thing is Racing had Carter at 10 and Brice Dulin at 15 and were light at 13 before recent signings (Tuitavaki and Laulala). Not that he didn't look sound at 13. It might be nice to have a proper play-maker in the centers. As much as I like De Allende, Mapoe etc they are better known for their power and finishing rather than creativity. That said I don't like the idea of Goosen standing between a rampaging Kerevi/Kuridrani/Tomane/Naholo/Fekitoa/Moala or whoever it might be and our try line. then again its not a if De Allende's big frame has counted for much on defence. Man, I miss Jaque Fourie.

Imagine if AC fielded this backline though:

9. Faf De Klerk
10. Elton Jantjies
11. Jesse Kriel
12. Damian De Allende
13. Lionel Mapoe
14. Ruan Combrink
15. Johan Goosen

Imagine if AC fielded this backline though:

9. Faf De Klerk
10. Elton Jantjies
11. Jesse Kriel
12. Damian De Allende
13. Lionel Mapoe
14. Ruan Combrink
15. Johan Goosen

Put Goose at 10 and Frans at 15 and I'll be happy :p

I know I'm dreaming but in 'my perfect world' I see

1 Steven Kitshoff
2 Malcolm Marx
3 Julian Redelinghuys
4 Eben Etzebeth
5 Pieter-Steph du Toit
6 Jaco Kriel
7 Jannes Kirsten (because sometimes you need that guy that'll just keep on doing the hard graft and tackles)
8 Warren Whiteley (because lets go mobile and see if we can make it work, he is on notice though)
9 Faf de Klerk
10 Johan Goosen (because I was sketchy on Jantjies, then I thoght he had me convinced but then no and I don't like the highs and lows- its as if he'll look great in a game you are winning in any case but won't change a result? And Pollard is injured)
11 Damian de Allende (because of his defensive issues in the midfield and that he made his breakthrough on the wing)
12 Rohan Janse van Rensburg (because he is part of the squad in my world and I see the value in keeping the Lions combo from 9, 10, 12, 13 too 14)
13 Lionel Mapoe
14 Ruan Combrinck
15 Jesse Kriel

16 Akker van der Merwe
17 Vincent Koch
18 Thomas du Toit
19 Lood de Jager
20 Sikhumbuzo Notshe (all rounder and a good guy to have if you are chasing a game)
21 Francois Hougaard
22 Elton Jantjies
23 Jan Serfontein (because Goosen can shift to 15)

I know I'm dreaming but in 'my perfect world' I see

1 Steven Kitshoff
2 Malcolm Marx
3 Julian Redelinghuys
4 Eben Etzebeth
5 Pieter-Steph du Toit
6 Jaco Kriel
7 Jannes Kirsten (because sometimes you need that guy that'll just keep on doing the hard graft and tackles)
8 Warren Whiteley (because lets go mobile and see if we can make it work, he is on notice though)
9 Faf de Klerk
10 Johan Goosen (because I was sketchy on Jantjies, then I thoght he had me convinced but then no and I don't like the highs and lows- its as if he'll look great in a game you are winning in any case but won't change a result? And Pollard is injured)
11 Damian de Allende (because of his defensive issues in the midfield and that he made his breakthrough on the wing)
12 Rohan Janse van Rensburg (because he is part of the squad in my world and I see the value in keeping the Lions combo from 9, 10, 12, 13 too 14)
13 Lionel Mapoe
14 Ruan Combrinck
15 Jesse Kriel

16 Akker van der Merwe
17 Vincent Koch
18 Thomas du Toit
19 Lood de Jager
20 Sikhumbuzo Notshe (all rounder and a good guy to have if you are chasing a game)
21 Francois Hougaard
22 Elton Jantjies
23 Jan Serfontein (because Goosen can shift to 15)

Very similar, mine would be (without injuries) - 1. Steven Kitshoff 2. Malcolm Marx 3. Julian Redelinghys 4. Eben Etzebeth 5. Pieter-Steph du Toit 6. Jaco Kriel 7. Marcell Coetzee/François Lou 8. Duane Vermuelen (c) 9. Faf de Klerk 10. Handre Pollard/Elton Jantjies (I would start Elton if he has the same go-forward from this pack as the Lions pack, and could execute the Lions game-plan, which is his natural game) 11. Bryan Habana (bring good experience in the backline and still has a very good workrate) 12. Rohan Janse van Rensburg 13. Jesse Kriel (made his name for the Boks at 13, and I'm playing someone a little better at 15) 14. Ruan Combrinck 15. François Steyn (seriously deserves a Bok call up, and will add some real X-Factor in the backline) 16. Bismarck du Plessis (The only real area where Marx can beat him one on one is speed, but in other facets Bismarck really still has it. In the last 20 minutes, bringing him and Warren Whiteley adds valuable leadership and experience to the pack. Imagine in the last 20 minutes where Marx and Co have wrecked the All Black pack, and now they have to deal with Bismarck du Plessis coming on) 17. Tendai Mtawarira (he was the best ball-carrier in the starting lineup for the Boks against Ireland, but didn't look up to it against Argentina recently. If he can regain some form and look more like the old Beast he can is a must-have in the lineup, especially if he can come on with Bismarck, that would really up our scrum in the last minutes. My next option if he isn't good enough is Trevor Nyakane and then even Ox Nche should atleast be part of the squad/training group. He is one for the future that is Ox Nche) 18. Vincent Koch 19. Franco Mostert 20. Warren Whiteley 21. François Hougaard 22. Pat Lambie/Elton Jantjies 23. Lionel Mapoe
Coaches: Forwards - Matt Proudfoot, Backs - Swys de Bruin, Head Coach - Johan Ackermann
Considering current injuries, this is my team - 1. Steven Kitshoff 2. Malcolm Marx 3. Vincent Koch 4. Eben Etzebeth 5. Pieter-Steph du Toit 6. Jaco Kriel 7. Sikhumbuzo Notshe 8. Warren Whiteley (c) 9. Faf de Klerk 10. Johan Goosen (I think Elton has just sustained a groin injury, but if he is fit, he will start) 11. Bryan Habana 12. Rohan Janse van Rensburg (near full fitness after sustaining shoulder injury, and should be fit by Aussie fixture) 13. Jesse Kriel 14. JP Pietersen (Combrinck just broke his tibia, and if JP can't be recalled from Leicester Tigers, then Habana plays 14 and Mvovo/Skosan play 11) 15. François Steyn 16. Bismarck du Plessis 17. Tendai Mtawarira 18. Lourens Adriaanse 19. Franco Mostert 20. François Louw 21. François Hougaard 22. Pat Lambie (should be fit by the Aussie game, if not, Morne will have to stick if Jantjies is injured) 23. Lionel Mapoe
But deep down inside, we know those sides probably have a 5% chance of materialising....

Jantiles has struggled but goosen had not looked good at all during the rugby championship

I would put Steyn at fly half and stick with goosen at fullback

Jantiles has struggled but goosen had not looked good at all during the rugby championship

I would put Steyn at fly half and stick with goosen at fullback

François or Morne? Please not Morne, he is way past his prime! François is much better

Latest posts