• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rainbow Cup Pre Season Discussion Thread

I totally back our government not allowing them to enter without quarantine. The UK variant already decimated us, we don't need another. A shame but Def the right decision.

Playing rugby in 40deg heat in the middle of the desert in the middle of summer sounds....interesting
Cricket was played in Abu Dhabi this time of the year in the past, with the stadiums having a cooling system to make it more bareable for the teams.

South Africa in the summer is at times around 34 - 37 degrees celsius where most of our big stadiums are, and we have water breaks every 20 minutes in the game.

It is doable, as long as everyone agrees to it. Seems like it's the NH unions/teams that had issues with our guys going there. Yet, they have been buying our players and getting them in the country during stricter lockdown times in the past.

Feels a bit like a double standard...

Think it's a government issue rather than a Union one, tbf

I also don't recall players coming in without quarantines - I know for a fact that Cobus Wiese and JP du Preez both quarantined and then had to do an additional round of testing + isolation before they could start training with the rest of the players when they first arrived (there was a funny shot of JP du Preez sat on his own in the stands at one of our games because he wasn't allowed to be in the same area as any of the players/staff)

Wasn't there a rugby game in abu dhabi.

Wasps v Quins or something for the LV cup around this time?

NVM it was Jan/Feb

Wasn't there a rugby game in abu dhabi.

Wasps v Quins or something for the LV cup around this time?

NVM it was Jan/Feb

Completely forgot about that - BBC reckons they built the stadium specifically for that one game
Now that's money for ya!

I remember the Lions vs Barbarians game in Hong Kong was a bit of a nightmare, but I think that was due to the crazy humidity as much as the crazy heat
Players losing 3-4kg per training session, having to wear ice vests at half time to try and cool down etc.

Cricket was played in Abu Dhabi this time of the year in the past, with the stadiums having a cooling system to make it more bareable for the teams.

South Africa in the summer is at times around 34 - 37 degrees celsius where most of our big stadiums are, and we have water breaks every 20 minutes in the game.

It is doable, as long as everyone agrees to it. Seems like it's the NH unions/teams that had issues with our guys going there. Yet, they have been buying our players and getting them in the country during stricter lockdown times in the past.

Feels a bit like a double standard...
It's one thing south african playing in that hear please think of the paddys!

Attachments

• 20210421_161329.jpg
    20210421_161329.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 3
ESPN+ will be streaming the Rainbow Cup. They just added it to their schedule today. :cool:

Last edited:

The Saffas must be desperate to get in or else, signing a contract that exposed them to that is madness.

It's not like we had a choice now did we? The refusal to allow our guys to enter the UK and Ireland has basically dashed our chances to play foreign teams.

It's not like we had a choice now did we? The refusal to allow our guys to enter the UK and Ireland has basically dashed our chances to play foreign teams.
It's not a dig or anything, just pointing out how important the move north is for SARU. This was organised during the pandemic, you'd think they'd include a clause that they wouldn't have to pay if it was cancelled due to external factors.

I suppose it has ruined the Pro 14 season too.

Is it not that they are not getting a participation fee as opposed to paying a participation fee? These comps make money for teams and unions they dont cost money for them.

Is it not that they are not getting a participation fee as opposed to paying a participation fee? These comps make money for teams and unions they dont cost money for them.
My interpretation is that they paid €6m to cut the Pro14 short and wedge the RB Cup in and they won't recover that.

My memory is hazy on the whole thing but wasn't it that when it was first announced the new franchises weren't expected until the 21/22 season and the RB Cup was announced later on? It must have been compensation to cut the current/just past season.

Very strange situation regardless, bad decisions made from all involved.

They were always going to pay an entrance fee regardless, same way Italy did for the 6N. Kinsella's tweet does suggest this was in addition to that.

South Africans still getting a nice wedge from TV money. For example Eir will have all the Rainbow SA games etc.

Also Sky in very advanced talks to take all Pro14/16 whatever you eat games from next year.

Virgin Media also have enquired about it for their sports portfolio.

AFAIK SARU will have to pay a participation fee.

But SARU has taken the initiative to organise more games for the local teams, and they will play each other 3/4 times for the period that they would have been involved in the RB cup.

The question is however if this participation fee will be paid by SARU, or will there be some sort of arrangement between broadcasters and the organisers in getting the funds. As Supersport is SARU's broadcasting partner and one of their main funding contributors, with SKY being their broadcasting partner.

I just think it would be extremely harsh on SARU, who went to extreme lengths to organise tournaments for SA, and make deals with other Unions/organisers, to now fit the bill, for something that SARU isn't responsible for, or is being prevented from participating. The fault isn't with SARU, so why must they be held accountable for payment?

Latest posts