• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Regrets?

S

Saint N Sinner

After owning for a short while now, I must say i am getting a tad bored of it, but i wont get rid off it for a while yet, seen as Northampton won't feature in it unless they get the Guinnes premiership involved (god can only help)

Does anyone else have regrets for getting this? do you think the experience was enough ? or do you still enjoy it minute by minute, single player or not?

Leave it alone for a while (a couple of weeks or so) than it becomes a bit more interesting again.

I have had enough.

Whats his name said we were going to be on this forum in a few months saying how crap the game was....................I have to admit I feel it is crap now. Compared to what JLR offered.

With R2005 you have the vision and you want to do something, in fact you can see it forming. But you can rarely pull it off as the control of your players are not responsive enough to follow your commands, or are very limited in what they offer.

With JLR........if you could see it happening and gave it a go, more often than not it worked accordingly.

IT IS THE BLOODY ANIMATIONS!!!!! Too much time carrying them out both on attack and defence.

Yeah, few regrets. Maybe i'll leave it alone for a few weeks and start playing madden again - probly can't remember controls, then in cuple weeks i'll have to learn controls again.

no regrets whatsoever!

Love this game, especially multiplayer

Jonah Lomu being better than this....(well i think not)

mainly because in Jonah Lomu you didnt have enough features in gameplay as you would have in Rugby 2005

Originally posted by Gay-Guy@May 11 2005, 12:49 PM
I have had enough.

Whats his name said we were going to be on this forum in a few months saying how crap the game was....................I have to admit I feel it is crap now.  Compared to what JLR offered. 

With R2005 you have the vision and you want to do something, in fact you can see it forming.  But you can rarely pull it off as the control of your players are not responsive enough to follow your commands, or are very limited in what they offer.

With JLR........if you could see it happening and gave it a go, more often than not it worked accordingly.

IT IS THE BLOODY ANIMATIONS!!!!!  Too much time carrying them out both on attack and defence.
Well I have to agree with you in parts there Gay Guy. You are right that the animations do slow the fluidity of the gameplay, and therefore your ability to 'pull off' moves. However, on multiplayer its not nearly so bad, because the player tends to provide the space you need through human error.

Having said that I wouldn't say I have any regrets - I really enjoyed playing rugby 2005 for the first month, and even now I enjoy a game, especially multiplayer. I think like anything if you look too deeply at something and analyse it you will find weaknesses and problems, but if you step back and look at it as a whole, its still a good game. Even single player is good fun as long as you don't over play it! I left the game for a week or so then recently started playing a ten nations competiton. Now I'm really enjoying it again. Having said this single player has a long way to go before it holds our attention longer than a month. Its painfully predictable at the moment and not a great challenge, even on hard.

Sort out the slow animations and improve the AI a few notches and things all of a sudden look much rosier

The side steps, hand offs and shoulder charges don't really work. Yeh, you can sometimes beat someone using it but the animation slows it up so much that it's just not effective to use them. Also, on the PC you have to try and press a combination of buttons to execute a special move - that's just dull.

The incessant turnovers can make it a sooo frustrating. OK, you can reduce that problem with the hands in ruck trick but I still think it's a big flaw in the gameplay.

I ain't played JLR so can only compare it with WCR and Rugby league. Rugby 2005 is MUCH better than both those games but there's huge room for improvement.

Originally posted by GarVanNeath@May 12 2005, 09:56 AM
Also, on the PC you have to try and press a combination of buttons to execute a special move - that's just dull.
Errr.... Press the shift key with your little finger you lazy git!
<

too much of a good thing is bad!

rugby '05 is best SO FAR......just relax and sharpen your skills in other games and you wont get bored!

im still playing it but in small amounts

Multiplayer for me is the success of a sports game and that is where R2005 has let me down.

The people I play with are so good that none of us can pull off a set move without getting smashed. We know how to read them all and who to smash. Therefore set moves have been made obsolete. Trust me, we have tried everything to work around this including the surprise set move.......but alas, the same result.

Can't get a clean break anymore. Just when you think you are through a hole your opponent presses dive tackle and out comes some 8 metre dive from a defender who clips you with an ankle tap. Making breaks is meant to be THE exciting part of the game but EA decided to kill that with unrealistic ankle taps that are impossible to do from that distance in real life. What a bummer.

Stupid pick n go from the ruck. We always smash this person. Now obsolete.

Forward off the ruck. We smash this guy so that it becomes a hospital pass. Now no one can pass to a forward anymore.

Hot potato pass off the first five. Easily marked since we are doing the SJRL flying defence and often follow the pass. Now obsolete.

Big flying hit aimed at the head tackle cannot be fended as the fend is aimed at waist height tackles that and smother tackles in a shorter range. The big flying head hunter shot can be executed from a far distance outside of fending animation range activation.

These things have been rendered obsolete in multiplayer and we are reduced to playing a very limited and PREDICTABLE game against each other. When new people came and play with us they try all the things under the sun (which we have already tried) and they get all the same treatment. With this realisation there are retirements everywhere.

With JLR after 9 years play we still cannot totally shut each down. There is too much opportunity.

^^

The problem is EA think rugby follows the same set play method of the NFL, whereas most exciting/realistic parts of rugby come off strokes of luck or blind optimism.

Sadly, rugby is the worlds only sport that cannot be recreated perfectly in a computer game because there are so many 'X' factors. Pansyball or American Bodybadball are easy to recreate, but they are very basic games in comparison.

oh uh i am sure someone might come in here and disagree. just leaves yaself open
<

don't worry i agree with ya though

im bored of it....they needed more options to keep you hooked.

they should of had unlockable classic teams & players.

Originally posted by Gay-Guy@May 13 2005, 07:57 AM
Multiplayer for me is the success of a sports game and that is where R2005 has let me down.

The people I play with are so good that none of us can pull off a set move without getting smashed. We know how to read them all and who to smash. Therefore set moves have been made obsolete. Trust me, we have tried everything to work around this including the surprise set move.......but alas, the same result.

Can't get a clean break anymore. Just when you think you are through a hole your opponent presses dive tackle and out comes some 8 metre dive from a defender who clips you with an ankle tap. Making breaks is meant to be THE exciting part of the game but EA decided to kill that with unrealistic ankle taps that are impossible to do from that distance in real life. What a bummer.

Stupid pick n go from the ruck. We always smash this person. Now obsolete.

Forward off the ruck. We smash this guy so that it becomes a hospital pass. Now no one can pass to a forward anymore.

Hot potato pass off the first five. Easily marked since we are doing the SJRL flying defence and often follow the pass. Now obsolete.

Big flying hit aimed at the head tackle cannot be fended as the fend is aimed at waist height tackles that and smother tackles in a shorter range. The big flying head hunter shot can be executed from a far distance outside of fending animation range activation.

These things have been rendered obsolete in multiplayer and we are reduced to playing a very limited and PREDICTABLE game against each other. When new people came and play with us they try all the things under the sun (which we have already tried) and they get all the same treatment. With this realisation there are retirements everywhere.

With JLR after 9 years play we still cannot totally shut each down. There is too much opportunity.
that is exactly what i experience in multiplayer.....every execution is predictable and therefore rendered obsolete or useless.
my main frustration is that 50m diving tackle that cannot be fended or stepped, i still think JLR is the most exciting rugby game simulation

Originally posted by Teh Mite@May 13 2005, 11:57 AM
^^

The problem is EA think rugby follows the same set play method of the NFL, whereas most exciting/realistic parts of rugby come off strokes of luck or blind optimism.

Sadly, rugby is the worlds only sport that cannot be recreated perfectly in a computer game because there are so many 'X' factors. Pansyball or American Bodybadball are easy to recreate, but they are very basic games in comparison.
no.....EA are just not analysing rugby enough as they would NFL, basketball or hockey

i mean if JLR is still being played today because of its unpredictability, excitement and flair......surely you'd have to notice this.
if we are comparing a 95' game to a 05' game, someone is f@#king up somewhere!

rugby does have some grey areas, eg. rucks, mauls etc....but if JLR can reproduce a rugby simulation that mimics these areas in a fun way without taking away from the overall gameplay, then EA are f@#$ed in the head!

to have that much resources and still lack that JLR gameplay is a crime
<

Originally posted by Teh Mite@May 14 2005, 01:20 AM
Rucks and mauls were also crap in JLR/WCR IMO.
The rucks in JLR were never "random." They had a fantastic system despite the animations. You had total control and if you turned the ball over you knew it was not the AI's fault but totally your own incompetence.

Originally posted by Gay-Guy+May 15 2005, 04:40 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gay-Guy @ May 15 2005, 04:40 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Teh Mite
@May 14 2005, 01:20 AM
Rucks and mauls were also crap in JLR/WCR IMO.
The rucks in JLR were never "random." They had a fantastic system despite the animations. You had total control and if you turned the ball over you knew it was not the AI's fault but totally your own incompetence. [/b]
exactly, you had complete controll over the rucks. blowing over and everything.

and the mauls were also the best in all rugby games, you could move them across the feild and as far as you wanted (unless slowed by the opposition) - instead of the rest of the games, were you could only move them so far, and then forced to pass it.

Latest posts