• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Respect for penalty kicker

These kickers are pro athletes, they are not listening to the crowd when kicking. For me so long as it is not football levels of swearing, spitting and throwing projectiles, why can't they cheer/boo/sing when the opposition are trying to score? Most of the time it relates to the nature of the penalty being awarded, nothing to do with the individual.

Got mixed opinions on this. Personally I stay quiet, and I feel the players should, but you can't do much about the crowd.
Do they still put "Respect the Kicker" on the screens??

Happy days hurling abuse at Dusty Hare many, many years ago. Standard practice everywhere.

Yep, I happened across a short highlights of Scotland's last GS last night on YouTube. Took me back because I was there at the final game and Stanger scored right in front of us

Happy days hurling abuse at Dusty Hare many, many years ago. Standard practice everywhere.
My first ever match as a sprog was Eng v Wal in the 1980 GS season. Late pen from Hare to win 9-8. 2 tries to nil for Wal and 15 players to 14 in Eng's favour. Green stands. Happy days!

Much less fussed about this than I used to be, in fact I think the noise / heckling adds a bit of theatre. I've read that some kickers actually get a bit unnerved by the quiet.

My first ever match as a sprog was Eng v Wal in the 1980 GS season. Late pen from Hare to win 9-8. 2 tries to nil for Wal and 15 players to 14 in Eng's favour. Green stands. Happy days!

Much less fussed about this than I used to be, in fact I think the noise / heckling adds a bit of theatre. I've read that some kickers actually get a bit unnerved by the quiet.
Remember as a sprog watching Midland v New Zealand at Welford road. Pretty sure it was a couple of Dusty Hare kicks that won it for the midlands but my memory is a bit hazy..

Also had the privilege of watching Jonathan Davis score a spectacular try against Tigers at the boxing day Baa Baas game. He seemed to move and everyone else stood still. Got a standing ovation from the Tigers faithful. Think it was his last game in Union.

My first internationals were in the mid 70s I think the first was England v Ireland.

One of my best memories was 1977 being at Twickenham for the jubilee game of the Lions v Barbarians. The only game they ever played together

All the greats were there including probably the best back row in the world of Rives, Skrela and Bastiat along with other such as JPR, Bennett, Irvine, Beaumont etc

Oddly enough the only five/six nations team I have never seen live is Wales and I have happily attended a good few Calcutta Cups victories for Scotland.

Latest posts