• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RFU Ability to select a new England Manager

Rugbyrant

Academy Player
Club or Nation
England
The English RFU again have stated the process of selecting a new England Manager

I think the evidence is overwhelming in that it is the process and the RFU that needs overhauling we have the same team presiding over the process of selecting a new manager having been involved in a least three previous failed selections

The Chief Executive has managed a position in which he sat over previous selections, had the largest budget, the largest pool of players and besides being unable to win the European Rugby Cup watched England knocked out in the early rounds of our own World Cup. In most commercial roles this would result in a honourable resignation.

This is not a short term issue but one which was over a decade in the making (look at England's record in the European Cup over the last decade - in a word 'Poor; . THe RFU executive do no even realise that they are not fit for purpose they have failed to realise that the game and the environment in which it is played has evolved and moved on. It can no longer be governed by 'amateurs' who have earned their blazers and life style and believe it is a job for life. No it is a job for hard headed professionals in a professional era. If you fail to adapt then you fail in any business. If you really have no idea or are blind to the problems facing the RFU or have any idea about the solution and lack the resolve to implement the required changes then you are out of your depth and should do the honourable thing and resign.

This is not a time to defend your respective positions on the Executive it is not just the continuous failure on the pitch tens of £millions have been lost by clubs, sponsors etc, tens of thousands of probably young converts to the game have turned away in disappointment i.e. the RFU has failed on just about every measure from the Ranking/stature of the National Side , Commercial/Financial Performance and health of the young recruits to the game.

To any balanced outsider looking in on the England set would realise that the blame is not with one player recruited from Rugby League - he is obviously a dedicated and talented player and probably given the opportunity over a longer period and at the right time could have made a significant contribution, It is not solely the fault of an inexperienced manager who never quite come to terms with the necessary steps needed to win a European let alone a World Cup. No it is the management presiding over the decision making.
The relationship with the Premiership Clubs, the contracts with the players, what players can qualify for selection, the experience needed by the manager, the freedom and terms of reference required by the manager to enable the team to succeed. The 'hands off; approach required by the RFU Executive, it is obvious they do not know how the win the World Cup so they must give tenure to a manager who does know. This means clearing the decks of all the previous contributors to selection and game improvement, they have obviously not produced the goods and their background politics and comments would only interfere with a new mans freedom to progress with the necessary overhaul.

The time has really come for the RFU to decide what is in the best interest of the game and the fans. It is a long time since Will Carling described them as a bunch of old farts but now is the time for them to look in the mirror and ask the question is the the best management team to run the RFU in the modern environment, do they truly have the, knowledge the ability, the energy collectively even select a new manager and implement all the changes required to make England a truly World force in Rugby. I obviously do not think they have the interest of the game at the centre of their decisions or have the courage or qualities to oversee a necessary management change. I think they will not face up to reality (of the performance over a decade) and convince themselves it was not their fault it was all the managers selections and a bad draw, all they have to do is appoint a new more experienced managers this will magically remove all the problems, give the fans a new enthusiasm, all the pressure on the executive will go away and they can carry on business as usua. I think this will result in a improvement in England's performance but will NOT result in winning a World Cup.

Look forward to your views and comments

Rugby Rant

Yep, you pretty much have things nailed on here. I can't see anything in your post that I would disagree with.

It can no longer be governed by 'amateurs' who have earned their blazers and life style and believe it is a job for life.

I would say that it IS possible to have Amateurs running the National Union provided they work side by side with people who have some hard-headed business acumen. As I pointed out in this post, New Zealand rugby is administered by the amateur NZRB (New Zealand Rugby Board) who work in co-operation with the Professional NZRU Executive. There is absolutely no reason why a similar setup could not work with England Rugby, even if they didn't adopt it in its entirety.

Just look at what New Zealand Rugby has been able to achieve with limited money, limited player numbers and limited resources. What we find we have had to do is to make the absolute best use of what we have. I don't wish to be seen as "beating the chest" here, but the truth is the truth no matter who says it... back to back World Cups on about 5% of the budget the RFU has and about 20% of the player numbers. We must be doing something right!

Whats the European rugby cup?

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, you pretty much have things nailed on here. I can't see anything in your post that I would disagree with.

I would say that it IS possible to have Amateurs running the National Union provided they work side by side with people who have some hard-headed business acumen. As I pointed out in this post, New Zealand rugby is administered by the amateur NZRB (New Zealand Rugby Board) who work in co-operation with the Professional NZRU Executive. There is absolutely no reason why a similar setup could not work with England Rugby, even if they didn't adopt it in its entirety.

Just look at what New Zealand Rugby has been able to achieve with limited money, limited player numbers and limited resources. What we find we have had to do is to make the absolute best use of what we have. I don't wish to be seen as "beating the chest" here, but the truth is the truth no matter who says it... back to back World Cups on about 5% of the budget the RFU has and about 20% of the player numbers. We must be doing something right!

Yes NZ are great, we bow down to your greatness.

Hi All

Thanks for your responses

I concede that NZ have amateur administrators but as the contributor admitted they have a very professional attitude and I think very pragmatic, know and prioritise what is best for NZ Rugby above their own egos.

I apologise for referring to the Six Nations as the European Cup - I assume you all appreciate why

I think that Eddie Jones is a good selection he certainly has the experience and I wish him well

I further believe that the English team will improve under his management and us English Fans are in for a better experience than we have had in the last decade but it will NOT be enough to win the World Cup

My fears and suspicions however go back to my original thread in that the RFU have not addressed the real issue - their management incompetence and other than a new manager t is as I predicted 'business as usual'

I am concerned that Eddie Jones has already been compromised in that only a few weeks ago he was quoted as saying how he could not understand how England could ignore Armitage and his outstanding record. Now less than 24 hours into the job he is quoted that he sees no reason why England needs to go outside the Premiership to choose a winning side.

I therefore feel that Eddie Jones was offered the job if for better or worse if he complies with the present RFU policies - which evidence suggest are seriously flawed.

I notice that none of RFU management team who were party to a greater or lessor extent for a decade of failure culminating in the World Cup debacle are still in post to undermine any future positive policy or personnel changes.

Eddie Jones has even been diplomatic about the future of the present coaching team who have experienced zero success whether coaching for the Lions or England surely he needs to bring in his own proven team to support his coaching culture to stand any chance of success.

On balance the RFU have made a small step in the right direction with the appointment of an experienced manager but have failed again the to bring in a independent team to assess the real reasons for their failure which is the RFU management and its policies and until they do England will never fulfil its potential.

As ever I Look forward to your comments

regards

The Armitage matter is more of a PRL matter than a RFU matter really.

And who needs him. I agree there is no reason why If you want to play for England you cannot play in England.

You say the current coaching team had zero success with Lions or England.

But didn't the lions win the Aus Series? I don't rate them but Farrell and Rowntree where part of that of the setup so give them that credit.

Last edited:
Hi All

Thanks for your responses

I concede that NZ have amateur administrators but as the contributor admitted they have a very professional attitude and I think very pragmatic, know and prioritise what is best for NZ Rugby above their own egos.

I apologise for referring to the Six Nations as the European Cup - I assume you all appreciate why

I think that Eddie Jones is a good selection he certainly has the experience and I wish him well

I further believe that the English team will improve under his management and us English Fans are in for a better experience than we have had in the last decade but it will NOT be enough to win the World Cup

My fears and suspicions however go back to my original thread in that the RFU have not addressed the real issue - their management incompetence and other than a new manager t is as I predicted 'business as usual'

I am concerned that Eddie Jones has already been compromised in that only a few weeks ago he was quoted as saying how he could not understand how England could ignore Armitage and his outstanding record. Now less than 24 hours into the job he is quoted that he sees no reason why England needs to go outside the Premiership to choose a winning side.

I therefore feel that Eddie Jones was offered the job if for better or worse if he complies with the present RFU policies - which evidence suggest are seriously flawed.

I notice that none of RFU management team who were party to a greater or lessor extent for a decade of failure culminating in the World Cup debacle are still in post to undermine any future positive policy or personnel changes.

Eddie Jones has even been diplomatic about the future of the present coaching team who have experienced zero success whether coaching for the Lions or England surely he needs to bring in his own proven team to support his coaching culture to stand any chance of success.

On balance the RFU have made a small step in the right direction with the appointment of an experienced manager but have failed again the to bring in a independent team to assess the real reasons for their failure which is the RFU management and its policies and until they do England will never fulfil its potential.

As ever I Look forward to your comments

regards

Nail head the on hit!!

I wonder if Neil malinger would have been a good choice...

Anyway, it looks like England is becoming a colony of Australia.

I wonder if Neil malinger would have been a good choice...

Anyway, it looks like England is becoming a colony of Australia.

I did wonder, they do seem to have colonised most of the bar jobs over here, I guess they will be moving to a goverment take over soon.

Latest posts