• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RFU cancels rest of season (all but Prem)

I just realised, in the Euros thread:

Championship 20/21 is due to start early September
Premiership 19/20 is due to restart mid August, with 9 rounds left that's a bare minimum end date of the regular season of October 17th.

WTF are Sarries going to do for that month when they're in both leagues?
They can't drop out of the prem because that's 9 games where the opposition get a walkover, which isn't fair on the sides that actually played them (plus I doubt Sarries would be happy to lose the increased crowds/sponsorship/exposure from the prem) - but then they can't join the Championship 6 weeks late for the same reasons (6 games where the opposition get a walkover on them, when in all likelihood Sarries will be comfortably the best team in the league).

What a car crash.
They'll be in the champions cup as well no?

Have they enough teams left to run consecutive matches? Asking for a friend.

Yup - and I doubt they've factored in the championship's schedule when rearranging the playoffs
I suspect that their squad is big enough to field a first team in the Prem and Cup; and a largely academy team in the Championship - but they might be vulnerable if they get a few injuries - may have to strike a few loan deals; but I'm sure there's a way out that doesn't involve forfeiting matches.

I suspect that their squad is big enough to field a first team in the Prem and Cup; and a largely academy team in the Championship - but they might be vulnerable if they get a few injuries - may have to strike a few loan deals; but I'm sure there's a way out that doesn't involve forfeiting matches.

What would they gain by fielding a full strength squad in the Premiership? If they're going to have to field academy heavy teams, it would make more sense to me to do that in the Premiership and make sure of points in The Championship. They're lucky that the Championship is nowhere near as strong as it was 10 years or so ago, but it's still strong enough that it would be unwise to bank on an academy heavy side banking them enough points to catch Ealing by the end of the season.

I was more thinking the Champions Cup, avoiding fines for fielding deliberately weak teams (is that still a thing?), making the point about about squad size, and player welfare (the kids are in less danger in the Championship than the Prem)
Besides, we're not talking a fully academy XV in the Championship; but say 8-10 of the 23; mostly from the bench, so still plenty of experience in there; and almost certainly good enough to be competitive against all but the top 2-3 Championship teams.

Amateur rugby cancelled for 20/21
Level 3 and below for men, Level 2 and below for women

Amateur rugby cancelled for 20/21
Level 3 and below for men, Level 2 and below for women
I'd love to know what makes anyone think that it's feasible to make The Championship happen in January. If that's on the cards, why couldn't it have come back at the same time as the Premiership?

RFU have officially pulled the plug on the rest of the season for all but the premiership, which they're still in discussions with.

Newcastle currently top of the table in the Championship, 15 - 0, and 18pts clear so you'd hope they just get promoted.

Feel like it's only a matter of time before the Prem gets the plug pulled, but there's so much money involved that I can understand why they're attempting to find a way to play it.
They should just do 1st vs 2nd, behind closed doors, for the cup... :D

https://www.englandrugby.com/news/article/rfu-ends-the-201920-rugby-season-in-england
One of their former officials (JP Doyle) worked the World Tens Series in Bermuda over the past three weeks. He did a great job and it was an awesome tournament. :cool:

1604920045942.png

Last edited:

Latest posts