• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Premiership rugby union club reveals threat of breakaway global league

You can always tell the angry teenagers by the way they get defensive about pretty non-offensive statements.

I think it's ridiculous that anyone could think the Pro 12 isn't needed for a World Club competition. Munster arguably made the Heineken cup what it was because nobody really gave a **** about it before '00 and since the Celtic league was formed Premiership sides have won 3 HEC's Toulose 3 and Pro 12 teams 4 all of which were in the last 5 years. So basically after being given 5 years to grow and progress the Pro 12 is almost completely dominant of European rugby and if it were given the sort of hype the French give the Top 14 and Sky give the premiership it would be seen as at least an equal standard of Rugby.

I think it's ridiculous that anyone could think the Pro 12 isn't needed for a World Club competition. Munster arguably made the Heineken cup what it was because nobody really gave a **** about it before '00 and since the Celtic league was formed Premiership sides have won 3 HEC's Toulose 3 and Pro 12 teams 4 all of which were in the last 5 years. So basically after being given 5 years to grow and progress the Pro 12 is almost completely dominant of European rugby and if it were given the sort of hype the French give the Top 14 and Sky give the premiership it would be seen as at least an equal standard of Rugby.

No it isn't, Munster and Leinster do not represent the entire "league". Those 2 IRISH regional sides have had good success in the past 4 years. The regular standards of their competition in the HEC (Irish, Welsh, Scottish and Sicillian) is routinely below par in the European cup. That means 2 sides have been strong, not a league.

Much as for the past couple of years Saracens have been the Premiership team to beat. In Europe though the power remains in the East Midlands.

A couple of teams are not part of a competition family. There are good games and shitty games in all competitions.

HEC 2011
Quarter Finalists: 4 Top14, 2 Pro12 (Not Munster), 2 Prem
Eventual Winners Leinster

QF's: 4 Top 14, 3 Pro12, 1 Prem
EW's Toulose

2009:
QF's: 4 Pro 12, 3 Prem, 1 Top 14
EW's Munster

2008:
QF's 3 Pro 12 (Not Leinster), 3 Prem, 2 Top 14
EW's Munster

2007:
QF's 3 Prem, 3 Pro 12, 2 Top 14
EW's Wasps

2006:
QF's 3 Prem, 3 Top 14, 2 Pro 12
EW's Munster

So basically in the past three years premiership teams have outnumbered the Pro 12 sides once and leveled 3 times and have been outnumbered twice so you can hardly say only Leinster and Munster have been better than Premiership sides. Only Leicester and Northampton (in the last two seasons) have been seen 'players in Europe.

So? Only Munster and Leinster in the entire Celtic league are "players". Only Toulouse and Clermont are seen as "Players".

What's your point? Celtic little-man syndrome?

Come on TEH MITE don't you know that the Celtic leaguee is renowned for producing the best most competitive clubs in Europe/ WTF is this person on about.

Leinster and Munster are very good granted but lets look at the rest of the League... Connacht = significantly sub par akin to having Worcester or Falcons in the mix, Ulster, well they are like Bath some good players but never going to win anything ATM, The scottish clubs are on their beginning of season doing ok streak but will probably smash out afterall they only beat Bath and Irish, Italian clubs aren't going to win it and the Welsh clubs show alot of potential and could win it but it is to be decided whether they willl. I don't see a world beating League here and afterall the only clubs worth putting your money on in the Heine are the East Midlands gang, Lunster and the top French sides.

Ha, so you've gone from saying that apart from Leinster and Munster the celtic league is below the level of the premiership from changing your words to say that apart from 2 teams of each league there all below par to make me seem like I'm arguing ,basically, myself and I'm being an idiot. And you'll probably deny all of this and come up with some smart arse answer to once again make me look like some sort of fool. So maybe we can just leave it here and agree to disagree or whatever before we get into a pointless ******* contest, which to be honest I don't want to have.

Hardly. Each competition has a couple of exceptional teams, several good teams and a couple who are pretty crap but still capable of the odd decent performance.

You can't tar an entire league based on a couple of performances. By definition, a league doesn't work like that.

Indeed, its not that the Magners is infinitely inferior to the premiership but its that on the basis of one weekends results, ok and repeated Heine finals, there seems to be a consensus amongst some the the Magners is suddenly head and tails aboove the rest when, frankly, it isn't. It sits at a similar level to the premiership some years it is better others it is worse - in terms of overall quality. Leinster is the best in the northern Hemishpere, Ospreys are pretty damn good and Munster are good as well. But as a whole the standard is not really that much higher or lower than the premiership.... in both the crap clubs are crap and the good clubs are good.

I never said it was better, I was saying that the Global competition wouldn't work without it because of the success some of the leagues teams have had in the HEC.

The Premier League works despite not having Barcelona and Dortmund. Formula 1 works despite not having Dario Franchitti. The PDC worked for years despite no Andy Fordham. The world does not revolve around 1 team. Or Ireland.

Champions league wouldn't work without Barca though, would it? You can hardly leave out two of the best teams in Europe over the last five years just for some 'we're bigger countries than you and therefore don't need your teams' competition.

When did anyone exclude them? Try an focus on what you're debating for.

Just changed your argument again there, you are very good at that. :rolleyes:

Err.. The thread is about the English and French clubs talking of forming a break away league. Snoop started the typical celtic fan line of "the Magners is da best league", which were completely off topic. Then all the but hurt fans started on the (clearly defining after 1 weekend) "look at this weekends results" horseshit. (1 2).

Then not much happened.

Then this happened:

Which Evolved from:
the Pro 12 is almost completely dominant of European rugby
To:
ou can hardly say only Leinster and Munster have been better than Premiership sides. Only Leicester and Northampton (in the last two seasons) have been seen 'players in Europe.
To:
Ha, so you've gone from saying that apart from Leinster and Munster the celtic league is below the level of the premiership from changing your words to say that apart from 2 teams of each league there all below par to make me seem like I'm arguing ,basically, myself and I'm being an idiot. And you'll probably deny all of this and come up with some smart arse answer to once again make me look like some sort of fool. So maybe we can just leave it here and agree to disagree or whatever before we get into a pointless ******* contest, which to be honest I don't want to have.
To:
I was saying that the Global competition wouldn't work without it because of the success some of the leagues teams have had in the HEC
To:
Just changed your argument again there, you are very good at that.

So what does that have to do with the PRL, French Clubs and SA clubs forming a breakaway big-money pro league?

'the Pro 12 is almost completely dominant of European rugby'

When I said this I was talking about wins, which is true so why would you make a big money league without two of the top 6 teams in Europe.

'You can hardly say only Leinster and Munster have been better than Premiership sides. Only Leicester and Northampton (in the last two seasons) have been seen 'players in Europe.'

You'd previously said only Leinster and Munster are big players so I was trying to make the point that with that logic the competition would consist of Saints, Tigers, Toulose, Bulls and Stormers.

'Ha, so you've gone from saying that apart from Leinster and Munster the celtic league is below the level of the premiership from changing your words to say that apart from 2 teams of each league there all below par to make me seem like I'm arguing ,basically, myself and I'm being an idiot. And you'll probably deny all of this and come up with some smart arse answer to once again make me look like some sort of fool. So maybe we can just leave it here and agree to disagree or whatever before we get into a pointless ******* contest, which to be honest I don't want to have.'

I said this when I was fed up of a pointless argument.

'I was saying that the Global competition wouldn't work without it because of the success some of the leagues teams have had in the HEC'

this was a reply to M0rris' post because he hadn't understood what I said. Then for no reason you brought this argument back with a pointless post and then accused me of only thinking about Ireland, well sorry if the fact I like the HEC and don't want my club playing in a glorified Celtic League each year aggravates you.

'the Pro 12 is almost completely dominant of European rugby'

When I said this I was talking about wins, which is true so why would you make a big money league without two of the top 6 teams in Europe.

'You can hardly say only Leinster and Munster have been better than Premiership sides. Only Leicester and Northampton (in the last two seasons) have been seen 'players in Europe.'

You'd previously said only Leinster and Munster are big players so I was trying to make the point that with that logic the competition would consist of Saints, Tigers, Toulose, Bulls and Stormers.

'Ha, so you've gone from saying that apart from Leinster and Munster the celtic league is below the level of the premiership from changing your words to say that apart from 2 teams of each league there all below par to make me seem like I'm arguing ,basically, myself and I'm being an idiot. And you'll probably deny all of this and come up with some smart arse answer to once again make me look like some sort of fool. So maybe we can just leave it here and agree to disagree or whatever before we get into a pointless ******* contest, which to be honest I don't want to have.'

I said this when I was fed up of a pointless argument.

'I was saying that the Global competition wouldn't work without it because of the success some of the leagues teams have had in the HEC'

this was a reply to M0rris' post because he hadn't understood what I said. Then for no reason you brought this argument back with a pointless post and then accused me of only thinking about Ireland, well sorry if the fact I like the HEC and don't want my club playing in a glorified Celtic League each year aggravates you.

So what does that have to do with the PRL, French Clubs and SA clubs forming a breakaway big-money pro league?

I'll spell it out in big block capitals for you so it's easy for you to understand.

A SO CALLED ''GLOBAL LEAGUE'' WOULDN'T WORK WITHOUT THE BEST TEAMS IN EUROPE.

Or in fact without the best teams in Australia and New Zealand.

Latest posts