rogers signs with titans

Discussion in 'NRL / Southern Hemisphere' started by esoj, Sep 12, 2006.

1. esoj

esoj Guest

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. InsaneAsylum

InsaneAsylum Guest

can anyone speculate why?

i was thinking a combination of age, spending more time wiht the family would be the main reason.

4. nez

nez Guest

yeah, he's said he wants to spend more time with the family, makes sense, alot less travel involved with the NRL.

5. ak47

ak47 Guest

its a better game :D

Lote is coming back too :bleh!:

6. Caledfwlch

Caledfwlch Guest

rogers is too old to ruck with the big boys

7. DonBilly

DonBilly Guest

Do you know wether he could then play Test Rugby league and so be involved in the 2008 RL World Cup.

8. BigTen

BigTen Guest

Why would he not be allowed?

Poor lil Mat Rogers - he lost the world cup for Australia in '03 and wants one more crack at it before skulking back to league. I don't think that he is going to be too much of a loss for Australia.

Although it will be interesting to see if the Australia Rugby Union continues on with their policy of recruiting league players at the expense of developing their own talent.

It will also be interesting to see if Rogers gets selected for the '07 world cup.

9. InsaneAsylum

InsaneAsylum Guest

i'm hoping the "league experiment" is over. not to say tiquiri and rodgers aren't good players, i just hope they focus on developing youth.

it's much like business, sometimes its better to upskill your juniors than to poach talent from other companies. maybe wallabies should just outsource to india :p

10. GoTheTahs

GoTheTahs Guest

They're looking at bringing over another high profile leaguie with all the cash they've saved from Dell and Rogers. Word is it could be Inglis.

They have been more than worth their while (even Dell), cause they're value came not only from their on field abilities but also from their marketability. Wendell was the subject of thousand's of column inches in the NRL/Cricket dominated papers of Sydney, and the were mostly good to start with.

Then there's the bums on seats factor, and many many people have been exposed to union through a wish to see Dell, Lote and Rogers plying their trade. They were a big part of getting the ball rolling for RWC2003

11. Dumbo

Dumbo Guest

Speaking of outsourcing to India... funny story...

Employed a young guy last year as a Computer tech from India, I didn't attend the interview but my business partner said that the guy presented himself really well, was agreeable and said he that guy said that he had a good overall understanding of servers etc...

His first day with me I organised three jobs in the morning for him and after that he was to team up with another tech to do a job.

9.00AM - He rings in, I ask 'all OK?', he says 'oh yes', I say 'so your at your first job', he says 'oh yes'. I say 'everything Ok?' - he say's 'oh yes', I say 'cool, talk to you then' and hang up the phone.
    9.15AM - He rings in, I ask ' everything OK?', he says 'oh yes'. I ask 'have you finsihed?', he says 'oh yes'. I say '**** that was quick, so your at your next job?', he says 'oh yes', I say 'cool' and hang up the phone.
    9.35AM - He rings in, I ask 'All good?', he says 'oh yes'. I say '**** that was really quick - all went well?', he says 'oh yes'. I ask 'is the client happy?', he says 'oh yes'. I say 'so you've finsihed?', he says 'oh yes'. I ask 'so you're going to see Graham (the other tech) now?', he says 'oh yes'. I say 'cool' and hang up the phone.
    10.00AM Graham calls in - he asks 'where's Asela (the indian guy)?', I say 'should be just around the corner, spoke to him about half an hour ago and he said he was on his way'. Graham say's 'cool' and hangs up the phone.
    12.30PM Graham calls in - he asks (his words not mine) 'so where is the black c&nt?', I say 'he's not there?'. Graham says 'nope' and hangs up the phone (Graham by the was is 50 odd, and a very grumpy old man)

12.35PM I call Asela (the indian guy), I ask 'you've finsihed your first job right?' he says 'oh yes'. I ask 'and you've finsihed your second job right?', he says 'oh yes'. I ask 'and you've done the third one as well right?', he says 'oh yes'.

I ask him 'where are you now?', he says 'oh yes'.
    He hadn't even left home...

12. woosaah

woosaah Guest

classic, pure classic ;)

the only words he knew were oh yes lol :)

13. ak47

ak47 Guest

Rogers just wont get a start @ #10 with Bernie

He has to go back to league - it is sour grapes IMO.

The only reason league players go to union is because they want World Cup honours - and league WC doesnt count

Now Rogers cant see himself in the union team for 2007, he goes back to his grass roots

Its simple - they dont convert for the love of union...they convert for world recognition in sport - u dont get that with league

IMO Lote will come back to league after 2007, coz he'll be getting on by then, and prolly wont make 2011

Shifcofsky on the other hand is not going to Union for world cup.....it was a personal decision to go back to QLD......any World Cup honours for him would be a bonus on the side

Now I can sit back and hope that Shif can bring the Webb Ellis back to Oz.....how fitting would that be....only a RAIDER can do it

14. woosaah

woosaah Guest

his contract for the ARU runs out at the end of the 2007 season so rogers is playing 2008 for the titans.

got one more year in rugby he has, well thats what i read from another article. i must check that out for ya

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3796865a1823,00.html

i know it starts off about tiquiri, but they are both contracted til the end of next year as it says...

he may still get to the world cup cause i also heard that rogers was still very much in the minds of the selectors

15. ak47

ak47 Guest

The ARU will never select a player that is contracted to depart Union

Rogers 2007 WC = Gorne

If Lote signs to league before RU WC 2007, his chances are finished aswell

16. woosaah

woosaah Guest

oh well i guess we will see :)

17. Caledfwlch

Caledfwlch Guest

i think the inclusion of mat will really fire up the RWC. they will need all the replacements they can get if they want to survive the world cup. or maybe if ur dieagreeing, then you could pray that mat will break his neck during the yr end internationals. thay way australia will have one less to pick, and make the all blacks job, or the les bleus job(s) easier of getting the Web Ellis trophy

18. ak47

ak47 Guest

Rogers out
    Clinton Shif in

I reckon Clinton will surprise many critics and will have more impact then Rogers ever had

Rogers is too injury prone

19. sanzar

sanzar Guest

Rugby don't "recruit league players at the expense of their own talent", they recruit league players becasuse we have a HECK of a lot more talent in league than in Union... In Union Australia has 4 fully professional teams, in League we have 16 (from next year). It doesn't take much intelligence to see that one code has an abundance of highly conditioned players that do nothing but focus on their sport, while another one is still mostly made up of part timers outside of the 140 or so S14 contracted players. Rogers is evidence of this. He was a solid league player, but only ever a winger and far from a certainty in the national squad... In Union he's played 40 tests and almost every position in the backline. Furthermore, it wasn't Rogers that lost us that World Cup, it was our non existant forward platform... As for now, Roger's has looked far more dangerous at 10 this year than Larkham, and if Connolley had the balls to give him more game time before his injury, I wager we may have played a fair bit better.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!