• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rory McIlroy to represent Ireland at Olympics

SimonG

Academy Player
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
So Rory will represent Ireland in 2016 then.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/27906964

Tbh I'm quite surprised. Rory is from a mixed background so was always gonna be torn, but he's from quite a unionist area in Holywood so that's where I expected his affiliation to be. Can see the ***** hitting the fan over this one!

In the same boat I'd have represented Ireland obviously though I do support the UK athletes also....Mo Farrahs wins were right up there as my favourite moments in the London games. Easy decision for me though...for Rory it's a different story. While he has represented Ireland as an amateur (golf is run on an all Ireland basis), this is a different matter. Just hope Rory won't be castigated by his homeplace or the unionist community.

Last edited:
Awwww yih. Possible medal for the boys.

The decision makes a lot of sense from a commercial perspective. If the represents the UK he's branding himself as Northern Irish, if he represents Ireland he'll be called Irish. One of those is much easier to sell to a US market, corporate sponsors, etc.

Awwww yih. Possible medal for the boys.

The decision makes a lot of sense from a commercial perspective. If the represents the UK he's branding himself as Northern Irish, if he represents Ireland he'll be called Irish. One of those is much easier to sell to a US market, corporate sponsors, etc.

:lol: you cynical git (possibly right..lol)

He's regarded as Irish all over the world anyway. Outside our isles we are all regarded as Irish. Northern Ireland as an entity doesnt exist for the vast majority. I have never once said im from N.Ireland (not because of any opposition i may have against it...which was a manufactured creation in the early 1920s), but because few know it exists and only know Ireland. Colin Murray on talksport has said the same. Even guys from unionist areas..Darren Clarke, Eddie Irvine (had a double take when the Union flag appeared on the podium)...both regards themselves as Irish and are seen as such all over the world.

I'm pleased Rors has made this decision and I think he has done so as that's who he has always represented.

Nah think its done and dusted after he made his decision.

It's a toughie for anyone from here as we are uniquely caught in the middle...and many have an identity issue. Me personally I'm Irish but I'm also proud to be in the UK (ideally id like a united Ireland and be in the UK...in other words what it was pre 1920s..but that's unlikely). So I'm a nationalist-unionist. Complicated. Suppose I'm in a similar boat to Scots who will vote to remain in the Union.

Nah think its done and dusted after he made his decision.

It's a toughie for anyone from here as we are uniquely caught in the middle...and many have an identity issue. Me personally I'm Irish but I'm also proud to be in the UK (ideally id like a united Ireland and be in the UK...in other words what it was pre 1920s..but that's unlikely). So I'm a nationalist-unionist. Complicated. Suppose I'm in a similar boat to Scots who will vote to remain in the Union.

Think fact its golf might help. Might be very different if say someone like David Healy opted to play football for ROI rather than NI (if he could, have no idea if that could have occurred)

im quite happy how little controversy this is causing among folks in the north.

Last edited by a moderator:
Think fact its golf might help. Might be very different if say someone like David Healy opted to play football for ROI rather than NI (if he could, have no idea if that could have occurred)

Yep it's occurred a few times...few lads in the current ROI team are from here. Of course the current ROI manager Martin O'Neill is from up here. Liverpool mamager Brendan Rodgers also represented the ROI as a youth. Football is more straight forward as almost all nationalists up here would support the ROI. One of my all time favourite moments was Alan McLouglin scoring the crucial equaliser for the ROI against Northern Ireland in 1993 to qualify for the 1994 World Cup. Surreal really to be in born and brought up in a place and be desperate for them to get beat. I was also at Windsor Park 2 years later when ROI beat NI 4-0...my god I had to stop myself from celebrating....those were dangerous times. :D

im quite happy how little controversy this is causing among folks in the north.

Give it time. I have seen a few comments already by 'unionist/loyalist' people.

Latest posts