TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
17092.2.jpg

Ireland prop Mike Ross has signed a new deal with the Irish Rugby Football Union (IRFU) and will continue to play his provincial rugby for Leinster until 2013.

The 31-year-old emerged as Declan Kidney's first-choice tight-head during the Six Nations, helping to shore up the Irish set-piece and turning in a big performance in their victory over Grand Slam-chasing England.

Ross joined Leinster in 2009 following three years in England with Harlequins.

"It's been an enjoyable couple of months for me and I am delighted to be able to have my new contract agreed and to remain playing for Leinster," he said.

"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home and hopefully I can continue to maintain my performance levels to help keep the team successful and also keep me in the frame for selection for the Ireland team."

Kidney welcomed the news, adding: "The IRFU's policy of keeping as many players in Ireland as possible is an important part to helping Irish tugby challenge for success in competitions at all levels. The news that Mike has made the decision to carry on his career in Leinster is good for everybody concerned."

http://www.espnscrum.com/ireland/rugby/story/136964.html

Aye, so much for going to Munster :eek:
That was never on the cards, was never discussed, and was never really a possibility.

Another bullshit story by Hugh Farrelly accepted by the more gullible members of munsterfans.com.

Good to get it confirmed of course.

Munster did want him back before we signed Botha but in the meeting held Ross was straight and said his wife had child recently and they were settled in Dublin and didnt want the move. He sees Leinster as his home and we respect that down here. Log I don't think Farrelly or anyone on MF said he was definitely coming just that we wanted him so can't really ridicule that

Good news for Leinster. Given all the ball carriers in the Leinster pack, Leinster only need their tightheaqd to lock the scrum. Ross does just that and is getting better around the park. I can see him becoming Leinster's scrum coach once his deal expires.

Yea the scrum is his thing he would be great for the younger players who I am to lazy to name right now, anyway great signing.

Must say Dean Richards deserves alot of credit too for really getting Ross up to international standards while at Quins and the Leinster staff for really making their coaching show

Must say Dean Richards deserves alot of credit too for really getting Ross up to international standards while at Quins and the Leinster staff for really making their coaching show

Richards took a gamble and it paid off for him. I think Ross was named in the GP team of the season one year.

Another bonus for Ross was Cheika leaving Leinster. He was only 3rd choice last season and you get the impression Cheika didn't really want him in the first place.

Latest posts