• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Round 10. Stormers v Lions

D

Dumbo

The Stormers with a week off take on the Lions in Capetown.
The Stormers will have a lot to prove in this game as sitting 3rd last on the ladder will not make them happy at all.
The Lions however will be enjoying the run they’ve had of late and will want to crush the Stormers.

I’m thinking it won’t be a great game to watch match play wise but think it should be a good opportunity to see a bit of biff this weekend.

I’m going against the grain and going with the Stormers, there’s too many quality players in their ranks who will be wanting to show selectors this early what they are made of.
In particular look for Luke Watson to really step up for this match.

The Lions have showed everyone that they are more than capable of winning on the road. With Pretorius at the helm, he has led this outfit superbly with the help of Ernst Joubert and Jacque Fourie.

I have lost all faith in the Stormers. So much talent, so little excitement.

Stormers give away too many penalties and that's where Pretorius boots come in handy.

Lions by 10.

Stormers:

15 Conrad Jantjes, 14 Breyton Paulse, 13 Jean de Villiers, 12 De Wet Barry, 11 Corné Uys, 10 Peter Grant, 9 Bolla Conradie, 8 Justin Melck, 7 Schalk Burger, 6 Luke Watson, 5 Andries Bekker, 4 Gerrie Britz, 3 Brok Harris, 2 Schalk Brits, 1 JD Moller
Replacements: 16 Tiaan Liebenberg, 17 Schalk Ferriera, 18 Ross Skeate, 19 Joe van Niekerk, 20 JP Joubert, 21 Naas Olivier, 22 Brent Russell

Well balanced looking lineup there.... i'll go with the Stormers by 5

In the local SA derbies, it`s usually the big boys of the tight 5 which sets it up, grinding, bludgeoning and beating each other to a bloodied standstill before the game gets won by the boot. Not really pretty rugby, which is why the Bulls have been the dominant side in SA rugby for the last few years- they generally don`t just win ugly, they do it in Quasimodo fashion.

This is precisely why the Stormers probably won`t be able to compete this week, as they have a light 5 going up front. The Stormers` game-plan has been non-existent of late, relying on opposition mistakes to strike from. In the SA derbies, this simply won`t work, as the Lions will play low-risk, percentage rugby, grinding the hard yards up front and kicking for the corners.

In the final quarter, the Stormers, who`ll be trailing by 12 at that stage, will attempt to run from their own 22, resulting in a couple of soft tries, and a bonus point, for the Lions.

In the final quarter, the Stormers, who`ll be trailing by 12 at that stage, will attempt to run from their own 22, resulting in a couple of soft tries, and a bonus point, for the Lions.
[/b]

Bok my good man, I am a happy camper to anounce that you were oh so very wrong :p

Like I said before, never make a Stormers prediction, it will end up with you having some egg on your face :)

Awesome game from the stormers (*relatively speaking here*), got a bit dominated in the scrums, but didn't go out without a fight. Stormers in turn dominated the lineouts and apart from some silly set moves they managed to botch up actually "made" 3 great tries (*allnmost 5 really *).

Storems 30 - 8 Lions :D

Yup, Stormers predictions always ends up with egg on face, just like all my Brumbies predictions, but very happy about it anyway!

Anyway, that`s all part of the strategy- predict doom and gloom for my side, and see them come out on top. I`ll take the egg, fried, scrambled or hard-boiled, every day, in order to savour a vintage-ish Stormers performance!

Latest posts