• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Round 13: Brumbies v Crusaders

the brumbies pressurized the crusaders and forced them to make mistakes. they may have shown other teams how to beat the crusaders. i seriously think that the crusaders could have won the game by over 7 points, they lost the ball many times in the brumbies 22.

next week we should see some fireworks with 5-6 teams trying to get a semi spot.

Only one way to describe this game: YAWN.
What a total snoozefest, it was so damn scrappy and low scoring I stopped paying attention for the most part. By the middle of the second half I didn't care who won as long as somebody scored a try and they didn't even do that.
When they weren't knocking it on they were kicking it and I shudder to think that that ref is going to the World Cup, he made weird calls on both teams that I couldn't figure out.
Meh, hopefully the Crusaders and Blues lose the S14, since it seems its a bad World Cup omen if they win it. Also a healthy dose of humility will benefit them in the lead up to the tests.

What a total snoozefest, it was so damn scrappy and low scoring I stopped paying attention for the most part. By the middle of the second half I didn't care who won as long as somebody scored a try and they didn't even do that.
When they weren't knocking it on they were kicking it and I shudder to think that that ref is going to the World Cup, he made weird calls on both teams that I couldn't figure out.
Meh, hopefully the Crusaders and Blues lose the S14, since it seems its a bad World Cup omen if they win it. Also a healthy dose of humility will benefit them in the lead up to the tests.
[/b]

Give yourself an uppercut mate, t'was a fantastic game of tough uncomprimising finals type Rugby... a joy to watch.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

Give yourself an uppercut mate, t'was a fantastic game of tough uncomprimising finals type Rugby... a joy to watch.
[/b][/quote]

My sentiments exactly.

Ozzy if you didn't see the brilliance in that game then you wern't watching it :mellow:

I don't even support any of the sides and I enjoyed watching that game, some real frantic fenetic high paced stuff .

Brumbies defence won them the game there, didn't get enough ball in the 22 to attack. Would be good to have another final between these two.

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

My sentiments exactly.

Ozzy if you didn't see the brilliance in that game then you wern't watching it :mellow:

I don't even support any of the sides and I enjoyed watching that game, some real frantic fenetic high paced stuff .
[/b][/quote]

Well you're right insofar as I only had one eye on the game but I have to say every time I looked up some one was knocking it on or kicking the ball. If you don't think it was a scrappy affair then that's your POV, but I stand by my initial take on the game. Now if you wanted to see a game that was high intensity almost test level, my pick would be the Bulls vs. Blues game. That game the players threw everything they had into it, big hits, expansive running and real passion. The scoreline didn't really reflect how tough the match actually was.
The brumbies, crusaders game by comparison was a real step down from that intensity and passion IMO.
By the way is it just me or is Richie McCaw Mr. Average right now, he's probably been less effective than most of the other NZ side opensides so far. He used to be the King of Steal, but now it's his side that is turned over more than they do. Here's hoping he's doing a Buncey and will come right when the test season rolls around.

I beg to differ Ozzy. This has got to be the most passionate performance I have seen the Brumbies put in for a very long time. The defence was hard-hitting from both sides and ultimately the Brumbies showed why they have the best defensive record in the comp. And to be honest there weren't too many dropeed balls either. Actually, it was a pity Fairbanks got injured and had to be replaced, his handling (unusually) and defence was tremendous.

What you need to understand is that although it didn't really rain during the match we have had steady (and welcome) rain over the past three days. Thus the match would be decided by the boot and defence. Conditions were difficult for attacking but I think both sides displayed some good bursts and if not for the great hard-hitting defence there would have been a number of tries.

The matches between the Brumbies and Crusaders (particularly in Canberra) seem to bring out the best display of aggressive rugby and last night was no different. A great game.

Also I commend the Crusaders on the way they held themselves after the match. They could well have gone straight into the sheds, but rather stayed out while the presentations to George, Bernie and JP took place. Well done!!

...and ultimately the Brumbies showed why they have the best defensive record in the comp[/b]

I thought the Sharks had the best defensive record in the...wait you mean the whole entire history of the Super 12/14 Competition or just for this season?

Didn't see this game, but was shocked at the scoreline.

S14 could get very hot.

And does this show the Aussies have something in the tank for the RWC? And, more important, that the ABs still haven't figured out how to win the RWC?

Answers from Australians only, please.

im now wary of the wallabies. the brumbies seemed to shut down dan carter, aaron mauger and co. the crusaders forwards were dominated in the scrums and lineouts. but i think the crusaders had more try scoring opportunities than the brumbies.
i doubt the wallabies can dominate the ABs in the scrums, maybe the lineouts they can and have done.

i guess this is the same wake up call the crusaders get every year before the semis.

The Wallaby squad will be half Brumbies, and the rest made up from the other 3 teams.

Congrats to the boys for pulling together and getting a hard fought win to farewell Stephen Larkham, George Gregan and Jeremy Paul in their final home super14 game.

Everyone talks about the dominance of the All Blacks and how they are going to knock everybody off....and they have to be careful and not think that themselves because the Wallabies will be a force to reckon with this RWC.

lol, Brumbies beat the Crusaders, and now there's talk of Australia beating the All Blacks? Funny that.
Australia was always a threat, we're not that arrogant. We have a lot of respect for Smith/Gregan/Larkham/Mortlock.

Everyone in NZ knows that the Crusaders are carried by McCaw and Carter. Look at the Crusaders forward pack? Their tight five has been over achieving.. I mean, the All Black front row will be Mealamu/Wookcock/Hayman.. And no way would you see Ross Filipo or Paterson anywhere near an All Black jersey.
Chris Jack was missed in the lineouts. How many did they lose? 8?

Team up McCaw with a decent tight 5, and he'll be more prominent.

So to think if the Crusaders get beaten, then the All Blacks will be the same, thats just silly.

As for ozzy's comments, I partially agree. It wasn't a boring game, but the handling was pretty poor. The intensity however reminded me of the All Blacks vs Australia match last year, when the All Blacks won 13-9. Maybe it was the staunch defence of the Brumbies that forced that many mistakes on the Crusaders? Who knows. But it was tense all the way til Larkham got the drop goal.

Whats that for D:

I thought I was complimenting your precious Wallabies :p

...and ultimately the Brumbies showed why they have the best defensive record in the comp[/b]

I thought the Sharks had the best defensive record in the...wait you mean the whole entire history of the Super 12/14 Competition or just for this season?
[/b]

The Brumbies have the best defensive record this season. Whatever you thought was wrong.

All in all, this was our most important win this season. Keeping our finals hopes alive and sending of Gregan, Bernie and JP in style! Interestingly if results go our way, we can still get a home semi... unbelievable really!

The final four will be (in order):

1. Crusaders
2. Sharks
3. Brumbies/Bulls
4. Brumbies/Bulls

Yes that's right - no Blues... They will lose to the Force, I'm sure. The Sharks and Crusaders are pretty well assured, however if the Sharks lose by a lot they could well lose out. The Force still have a chance. If they beat the Blues and the Bulls, the Brumbies or Chiefs lose they will make the four.

The best case scenario for the Brumbies would be: Sharks lose by a lot. Bulls lose, Chiefs lose, Blues lose. That would be the same for the Force - the finals are very much alive.

I don't see the Bulls losing to the Reds next week so that leaves one spot wide open.

Yep Brumbies have the best defence this season (*15 tries against them*) Sharks second with only 17 tries against them.

Sharks have the second best points difference as well (*115, to the crusaders 153*).

allthough I think the Force and the Brumbies have pretty much had it, Bulls are not gonna lose to the reds, and even if the force get 5 points in their next (*and last*) game I find it hard to believe that they would be above the bulls (*who WON'T lose in any case*) on points difference.

So I guess the Brumbies are the only ones with even a slim chance of getting in (*for a 4th spot*) if the blues lose their last game.

the worst that could happen to the sharks is losing a home semi, that's about it.

Geez, I can`t believe somebody actually thought that this game was boring. This was a pure class rugby match, mate, with some excellent defense on both sides. Lots of passion, lots of commitment, bodies put on the line, just uncompromisingly excellent rugby on both sides.

I dare anyone to try and last 80 minutes on the park in that type of game, and then still call it boring. No, this was rugby as it`s supposed to be played, at full Test-match intensity. I much prefer this type of a game to a 55-45 type of basketball game.

And both teams WERE throwing everything into the attack, the defense on both sides were just so well drilled, that there wasn`t an inch of space, even for 2 of the best attacking teams in Super rugby history, even with the 2 best creative flyhalves in world rugby on display. Massive game, by 2 massive teams, and hugely impessive IMO.

Didn't see this game, but was shocked at the scoreline.

S14 could get very hot.

And does this show the Aussies have something in the tank for the RWC? And, more important, that the ABs still haven't figured out how to win the RWC?

Answers from Australians only, please.
[/b]
Why are you so bitter? Is it because Ireland have never beaten us in 100 years? The Fact you haven't won anything in gods knows how long and have never actually looked like getting past the Quarters in the World Cup.

Seriously, you seem like a reasonably intelligent persons - yet you make very inane and non-sensical posts like this. Seriously, how the f*** can you take One of Five New Zealand Franchises losing 1 game to the Brumbies (might I add the Crusaders are top of the table, along with the Blues while the Cheifs are still in contention - the only Aussie team with a ghost of a chance is the Brumbies) as meaning that the Aussies have suddenly cracked the AB's? Last Time I checked the Crusaders weren't coached by the All Blacks staff, last time I checked the entire World Cup Squad does not play for the Crusaders and last time I checked the Reds have lost 10 games this year, the Waratahs are battling it out for the Wooden Spoon and the Force are going nowhere but down, so it would be interesting to see what your (f***ed up) thought patterns were.

Latest posts