• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Roy Winters To Retire at End of Season

SelimNiai

'Ark at ee mun!
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Bristol
Bristol stalwart and England International second row Roy Winters will call time on his career at the climax of this season.

Second Row Winters has been at the Mem since 2005 and during his time at Bristol received 2 England caps during the 2007 Tour of South Africa

“Roy will go down as one of the all-time greats at the Memorial Stadium,†said Chairman Chris Booy. “He can be immensely proud of what he has achieved at Bristol.

“Roy’s contributionâ€" on and off the field â€" is immeasurable. He’s been one of the first names on the team sheet season after season, and he’s been a superb ambassador for the Club.

“Roy embodies every value that Bristol Rugby hold and, on behalf of everybody at the Club, I’d like to thank him for his efforts.â€

I'd like to second that, he gave everything whenever he played for us and works hard off the pitch as he does off it.

Hear, hear......hope Robinson finds some way to use Roy's vast experience for the club?

Not just saying this because he retired but after his performances in SA I never understood why he didnt get more England caps.

Not just saying this because he retired but after his performances in SA I never understood why he didnt get more England caps.

It's cos he played for us. The powers that be have always considered us an unfashionable team. Same reason that Dan Ward Smith, Shaun Perry and Winters (amongst others) never got a fair crack at the England whip when they deserved to.

It's cos he played for us. The powers that be have always considered us an unfashionable team. Same reason that Dan Ward Smith, Shaun Perry and Winters (amongst others) never got a fair crack at the England whip when they deserved to.

He was one of the worst players England have selected in recent years. Was probably the slowest scrum half I've seen at international rugby, constantly caught when trying to pass, and was very sloppy. Was utterly shown up at international level, and also got 14 caps which was more than he should have got hardly didn't get "a fair crack".

Latest posts