• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ruan Pienaar

J

jaco

The young rising star can play the whole backline full. :wall:
But were is his best place and why?
Give your meaning.

I think his best position is 9. that is where I have seen him play at his best and do the most damage. I think his skills are wasted further out especially at fullback.

For now, scrumhalf, seeing as it`s waaaay too late in the game to start experimenting now for the RWC. Immediately after the RWC though, I`d like to see him get an extended run at 10, obviously first in the S14.

For my money, a flyhalf needs to keep the opposition defense honest- something that Pienaar`s breaks can certainly do. A flyhalf also needs to be a reader of the game, be able to spot the holes in defense, and crucially, have the ability to hit a target off of both hands with accurate passing to exploit said holes. Ruan`s pass to both sides is immaculate, and as a current scrumhalf, he`s got the vision and distribution.

A flyhalf also needs to be a strong defender. If you have a potential weak link on defense at 10, the opposition will ruthlessly exploit that by having powerful ball-carrying forwards running into his channel the whole day long. Pienaar has proven himself as a very good defender from the base of the scrums, and should therefore not have a problem there.

And finally, a flyhalf needs to kick well out of hand from both feet. This is something that Pienaar has improved in immensely over the last 12 months. Used to be a completely right-footed kicker, and had several kicks charged down as a result. But he`s improved his kicking out of hand especially off his left foot immeasurably over the last year.

For now, scrumhalf, seeing as it`s waaaay too late in the game to start experimenting now for the RWC. Immediately after the RWC though, I`d like to see him get an extended run at 10, obviously first in the S14.

For my money, a flyhalf needs to keep the opposition defense honest- something that Pienaar`s breaks can certainly do. A flyhalf also needs to be a reader of the game, be able to spot the holes in defense, and crucially, have the ability to hit a target off of both hands with accurate passing to exploit said holes. Ruan`s pass to both sides is immaculate, and as a current scrumhalf, he`s got the vision and distribution.

A flyhalf also needs to be a strong defender. If you have a potential weak link on defense at 10, the opposition will ruthlessly exploit that by having powerful ball-carrying forwards running into his channel the whole day long. Pienaar has proven himself as a very good defender from the base of the scrums, and should therefore not have a problem there.

And finally, a flyhalf needs to kick well out of hand from both feet. This is something that Pienaar has improved in immensely over the last 12 months. Used to be a completely right-footed kicker, and had several kicks charged down as a result. But he`s improved his kicking out of hand especially off his left foot immeasurably over the last year.
[/b]

Thankyou thankyou thankyou!!! I would love to see pienaar at 10 for the springboks!! Imagine this!!!! Du Preez to Pienaar to Steyn with De Villiers at Outside centre.

This is what I`d like to see post-RWC: 9- Du Preez, 10- Pienaar, 12- Steyn, 13- Fourie/Murray. Plenty of gas and creativity there, no real defensive weaknesses. Plus 3 blokes who kick very well out of hand.

And as a back 3, how about: 15- Pietersen, 14- Chavanga, 11- Habana. You`ll get plenty of gas out wide, plus a willingness to counter-attack. That is something currently lacking in the Bok armoury, with Monty being very solid, but not really creative on the counter. This means that our opponents can just kick the ball back to us, instead of out, as the Bok lineout in general is a much bigger threat than any countering from deep. If we had a back 3 willing to do the running from deep, and that is something both Pietersen and Chavanga are known for (maybe less so Habana), then it takes the kick up the middle completely out of the equation, and teams will have to front up to the Bok lineout more often. A very appetising thought!

Latest posts