• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rucking ... Whats wrong with it??

J

jinxed_nz

Well I was having a disscussion today with a few people about rugby and the point of rucking came up. Now is it just me or are there only some countries that still find rucking acceptable? correct me if im wroung but It seems that only SA, NZ and Wales still seam to do it, every other team normally just *****es and moans when they get rucked. I say this because way back in 2004/03, I cant member when lol, when i went on a aussie rugby tour the ref said that the law in 1st XV rugby their was that rucking was a no no. Now coming from NZ we didnt listen of course and the ref didnt seem to care much and we ended up winning every game even St Josphes in Sydney, which is where some great players like Matthew Burke came from. The reason why is because they just wernt hard enough, and my concern is that these rucking laws will turn a sport into something where people bleading will not be tolerated.

Please discuss... and maybe reminess over some of the great knouts and crosses you have made on people or recieved from people.

i think the rucking laws are still intact in senior rugby, so long as it is somewhere near the ball, and in a backward motion, in other words not stomping, but in junior rugby, well in Tassie especially, almost no rucking is allowed. Seems a bit weak to me.

??? i thought rucks were increasing ???? we couldn't see them few years ago in europe (and we were quite horrified lol when we were seeing a southern team uning it) but now european teams use it. and i hope we still can see blood on a field, that means rugby won't have turned into a gay sport like soccer is becoming (and like basketball already is). rugby is basically a MEN sport and was made for contacts even if (and its a good thing) the mentality is based on the respect of the opponent. i hope the irb won't transform it.

exactly right, the last thing we want is to make our sport more like soccer. So long as it's rucking and not stomping I have no problems with it.

exactly right, the last thing we want is to make our sport more like soccer. So long as it's rucking and not stomping I have no problems with it.
[/b]

rugby NEEDS to stay a tough sport. not violent but hard (i know sometimes the difference is hard to see). its a sport based on physical opposition and it HAS to stay like that. but some gestures have nothing to do on a rugby field like the throat tacklings.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isnt rucking because of dumb rules at the breakdown about the defence lying all over the ball, slowing it down, and killing any momentum from the attacking team.

IF they want rucking out, put rules in so ppl dont cheat at the breakdown.

are we talking about raking?

or am i lost

rucking is when the players from both teams are over the ball pushing for possesion whereas raking is the technique used by scrum halves, like myself, and other players to free up the ball when someone is slowing it down at breakdown.

now as for raking a person, i do it. I feel that if they are going to cheat then they are going to have to pay a price for it, which is the studs of my boots on their back.. i believe in rucking most deffinetly.

Rucking is an informal, impromptu get-together for forwards and a few close friends.

and a free kick is what you get when you're in the wrong side of a ruck or maul...

BuT!
TRUE rucking (i.e slightly scrapping the opponent on the wrong side of the ruck) is deffinitely an OK thing... although STOMPING is a big NO! NO!
in age grade rugby, most ref will deffinitely warn u off... but the problem with rucking i reckon is that it can be used as a good reason to hurt the other opponents...(i nearly got my eyes rucked off!)

But as the frenchman said, "rugby is a tough sport" and by no means should it be a violent game... one thing that WE ALL have to be proud of though is that no matter how much u hate a guy on the pitch, and how much u have hurt each other... WE ARE ALL BEST FRIENDS after the game... this is literally the best thing about rugby...
we are allowed to let off out steam on pitch, and this results in a friendly atmosphere after the game... I love it!

yeah being on the wrong side of a ruck sucks but i use to love admiring my battle scars before having a shower, that's a bit poor how rucking is a no no in some countries. as long as the rules are followed i don't think anyone will be crying for them to ban it.

At the end of the day Rucking is an important part of the game, if it werent allowed we may as well just be playing league or some of the suggestions that have come up in the past are pushing Union more and more to league...

ie getting rid of contested scrums, and then not allowing rucking... christ why dont these people just play/watch league, they would have far more fun... its also actually been proven you are more likely to be injured in the lineout than the scrum or in a ruck... so is that the next thing they are gonna stop...

But as the frenchman said, "rugby is a tough sport" and by no means should it be a violent game... one thing that WE ALL have to be proud of though is that no matter how much u hate a guy on the pitch, and how much u have hurt each other... WE ARE ALL BEST FRIENDS after the game... this is literally the best thing about rugby...
we are allowed to let off out steam on pitch, and this results in a friendly atmosphere after the game... I love it!
[/b]

and it HAS to stay like that !!! look at that **** atmosphere in soccer !!! in rugby you can punch a guy on the field and have a beer with him after the match ... that's a great way of doing.
you'll never see a guard of honour at the end of a soccer match ... why : because of their **** mentallity !!! rgby is a sport where the respect of the opponent still means something, despite the presure or the importance of the event. and there can't be a better mentality.

WE ALL have to be proud of that

Haha... I just played a game against a french team called the "French Frogs" we won 22-12 but it was somehow one of THE FRIENDLIEST game on pitch that I have ever played... no fights at all... it's weird... but it's cool!

I mean the initial seperation of the Rugby Code from the Association Code was that Rugby Football wanted to keep the harder physical aspects (ie contact, kicking of the shins, ect...). It's like this whole proposal of going all league-ish with the scrum...WTF? Do people get hurt playing rugby? Yes. Are scrums and rucks and mauls and tackling dangerous? Yes. But that is rugby. Sit out and watch if you can't handle that. Just appreciate the physicality of the sport. It is a sport which still truly demonstrates full athletic ability. To be able to be in true conflict with an opponent on every level.

Haha... I just played a game against a french team called the "French Frogs" we won 22-12 but it was somehow one of THE FRIENDLIEST game on pitch that I have ever played... no fights at all... it's weird... but it's cool!
[/b]

u see french are not all motherf***** !!! we still have the mentality to respect the opponent in rugby (but not at all in soccer). look even at the france england in the 6N. we won in think 2 years ago in twickenham and the english made us a honour guard (like at the end of every match) but that is to say, EVEN against england !!! you'll never ever see that in another sport. that's why i think rugby is finally the most intelligent sport, despite it's rough aspect. but that's the way of playing ... "so violent" that you don't need to fight after the game 'cause you took so many in the face during the match that you don't want to give any more after the game :)

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

u see french are not all motherf***** !!! we still have the mentality to respect the opponent in rugby (but not at all in soccer). look even at the france england in the 6N. we won in think 2 years ago in twickenham and the english made us a honour guard (like at the end of every match) but that is to say, EVEN against england !!! you'll never ever see that in another sport. that's why i think rugby is finally the most intelligent sport, despite it's rough aspect. but that's the way of playing ... "so violent" that you don't need to fight after the game 'cause you took so many in the face during the match that you don't want to give any more after the game :)
[/b][/quote]

wow... dont be to happy man.. this is the FIRST game against the Franch Frogs without any fights.. and cards... that's why I said it's weird... lol... maybe they have gotten nicer throughout the off season

hear hear. the ruck law is both fun to dish out, and to admire ur battle scars when the water in the showers make ur wounds smart. tt feeling is great :blink: but in all seriousness, rucking must be used when some dirty bas**** decide to slaw the ball down and suqirming and wriggling around trying to slow down the entire breakdown

It's still common in Scotland. I should know, I've got some lovley stud marks all the way from my armpit to my thigh from this weekend's action.

Latest posts