• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby 2006

C

contepomi

This isn't a wishlist for next year's rugby game, as that has already been covered before. This is just an idea which has been going through my head when I've been looking at this board and seeing people complain about deficiencies in the game e.g. unrealistic stats, and most of all, glitches in gameplay.

This has made me think that it should be us, fans of rugby computer games, who are in control of making the next game, and should have some serious input in the game. Obviously we are not looking to create the game ourselves and we would have to work in conjunction with EA, but it would eliminate any chance of people complaining about stats if the stats for players were decided by a panel of rugby computer game playing rugby fans. We are also the best people to comment on changes in gameplay that have to be made for the new game as we are the people who have played the game the most and who will know the game inside out.

So if anyone else on here thinks this would be a good idea, contact me and I will compile a list of changes that have to be made to the game. Also people can start making a list of players and altering their stats so that they are correct. We will then post the stats up in a new thread, and allow people to comment and ask them to be changed, as this is the most important thing here, rugby fans having a real say in the making of a rugby game.

Cheers

Nice idea, but it will never happen. EA don't have the brain power to actually go out and ask real fans what they think. That would be far too simple.

They'll shut down their email system. Their heads are far too far up their arses, they'd never stoop down to the level of listening to their fanbase...

for FIFA they sometimes take a look at the soccergaming.tv forums but to be honest I don't know if they take any of it on board.

Worth a try. If EA ignore us then they'll end up making a game that nobody will buy.

Originally posted by GarVanNeath@Apr 5 2005, 08:49 AM
Worth a try. If EA ignore us then they'll end up making a game that nobody will buy.
Hasn't happened yet..................so why would they spend time looking at forums when any old thing will do???

dudes, don't you think after the improvements from Rugby 2004, they're on the right track? This is a huge step forward. And this is without evening listening to us.

Another point worth making while I'm here. People have criticised the lack of publicity of R2005. Companies will often test a product or brand without excessive marketing, just to see how it sells. That will determine how much they actually need to spend on marketing dollars on their next game and how much they have to spend in development. You may think it doesn't make sense, but EA can afford to do it.

Remember the TV ads for Rugby 2004? That turned out to be one of the greatest gaming tragedies of all time....

I think the money they saved in marketing this time around can only be a good thing for the next game.

The steps are tremendous, but we're talking mainly about things like stats which can be altered by fans, not graphics which are all entirely up to the studio and their capabilities.

i know a really good idea!!!!!!

we can write a really big wishlist and canadian rugger or whoever lives in canada might drop it off at their studio.......but with a big heading EA RUGBY FANS WISHLIST so they know that they have die hard fans and they'll read it.

Nice idea. You do realise that this might work as 2**4 was made in Oz, NZ - they are the ones that never listen. I think...

i dont think it matters were there from. they all think they are right. and know everything.

how wrong they are

That could be a possibility. Now maybe send them letters from every country interested. Top and bottom of the letter say - 'Listen or we're goin to SWORDFISH'.

or we could say
"THESE are the ideas that.....SWORDFISH came up with for their next game..BET YOU GUYS CANT DO THAT"
<

or
"hey, we heard that swordfish have so and so ideas that we thought you should know about,......coz everyone knows that swordfish is gay"
<

<
<
<
<
<

I have written a 12-page letter which I am going to send to HB.

Basically it outlines the problems with the rules (tackling in the air, etc.) and said it was unforgiveable.

Also suggested some ways of controlling mauls, scrums, rucks, etc.

I suggested we have a greater control of the breakdown - when to release the ball in the tackle, trying to steal before a ruck forms, etc.

I also basically had a go at them for releasing Rugby 2004 again with new graphics. Wankers.

I will upload the letter to rugbydownloads.bizhat.com so you can all look at it to see if there is anything you agree/don't agree with.

Then I will send it to them.

The thing is, anything that is in any way aggressive is going to be ignored, with them thinking that some angry fan does not matter.

I think they get scared by insane requests (no offence to anyone here or anyone in particular) over minute details.....

The list of things that would immediately make the game awesome is simple in my opinion and would surely be simple enough for them to digest......It is as follows:

* offloads - but difficult to do and not always successful.
* allow players to break out of mot cap - more freedom.
* rule changes on the following =
- charge downs into touch line-out ruling
- kick dead always scrum unless drop goal attempt
- extra time is a set period

note - the tackle in the air thing is just a poor animation - they do it sometimes without a tackler! Don't worry about things like that....

* Option for playing as home teams in Lions Tours including warm-up matches - archive stats on best results etc...and cups both ways, plus cups go on the line even if you have it in cabinet when you play Tri nations etc in following season i.e. a CURRENT trophy cabinet as well as an historical one.
* Can make multiple substitutions and positional changes mid-game
* Crowd more detailed and random - streaker every 30th game..can box privates.
* Step etc executed with more mixed results and potentially more success - exactly same physics as madden please (needs good execution not lots of money- not a valid excuse) i.e. Players can score different sorts of tries all the time.
* More tackle animations and...yes...the hit stick (must be timed like Madden and doesn't get turnovers as often as it does just kick a man's ass)! Can effect a head high - so decision to use it is tempered.
* Sevens tournament
* Player creation - adjust current players option....no reason not to have the option to elongate the game's life and allow its potential to be fulfilled.
* No running into atacker at all!...yep......instead the corcle button will act as a higher grab/wrap up tackle like Jonah's....This way strong AI cannot be continuosly repelled escept by accurate, satisying tackling....mixing x as dive tackle and circle as grab and right analogue as hit stick....perfect!
* Added statistics on attitude and propensity for fighting etc.....
* A form indicator that affects individual's performances for the team...like PES4.
* Option for fighting - punch button etc and rucking too - but both can result in on and off-field punishment.......One word: Judiciary.
* Create your own tournament - for multi-player parties etc.....
* Option for controller to shift onto cpu team for person to play as your opposition if choose to.
* Five difficulty levels:

- Novice
- Average (same as normal on Rugby 2005)
- Provincial
- International (as hard as hard on Rugby 2005)
- World Class - genuinely, insanely competitive AI in terms of their inventiveness and execution NOT their ball hogging!

* many different try celebrations - keep them simple if need be, but must have at least 20 - 25.
* specefic couple of all team celebrations if try scored with time-up to win or seal a final etc......and relevant commentary.
* tiny bit more distance on kicking - but not bad effort..once mastered.....
* When on side view - camera goes with the play across the field a fraction and back to allow better visuals.
* On set-moves...the icons switch around.
* Better information on injuries - length of time out....PLUS - what it is.
* Plenty of unlockables (but on completion of International level Cups - which in turn unlocks World Class level.....SJRL style!). Once this is completed, ten extra teams are unlocked (SH, NH, EURO, SUPER 12 etc...plus a nadful of novelty teams...Monsters etc...trust me).
* Three commentators - sideline comments guy.....authentic enthusiasm from all.
* Man-of-the-match.
* Individual stats on line-breaks, tackles made/attempted etc......
* stats for tries etc (this is an IMPORTANT one)...must be on a table including ALL teams - so there are tallies of season best wit boot and tries and tackles etc....for which there are bonus points awarded in World League and simply for interest in World Cups and Super 12s except that they can be archived as best season tally etc......having just your own team's is NOT GOOD ENOUGH.
* Franchise Mode

and there you have it........If this was done....I would not need to fret over rugby games again and I would retire from game buying with just BLIC 2005, RL2 and Rugby 2006 - Black Thunder...to keep my gaming needs satisfied.

Most of what I speak of is options that can easily be included...the rest requires nous and commonsense and a little elbow grease....come on EA! We all know what you are capable of.
<

oh and before you send it to them tell them they're welcome to come to the forum board for tips from us

Originally posted by Los Lover@Apr 6 2005, 05:29 AM
I think they get scared by insane requests (no offence to anyone here or anyone in particular) over minute details.....

The list of things that would immediately make the game awesome is simple in my opinion and would surely be simple enough for them to digest......It is as follows:

* offloads - but difficult to do and not always successful.
* allow players to break out of mot cap - more freedom.
* rule changes on the following =
- charge downs into touch line-out ruling
- kick dead always scrum unless drop goal attempt
- extra time is a set period

note - the tackle in the air thing is just a poor animation - they do it sometimes without a tackler! Don't worry about things like that....

* Option for playing as home teams in Lions Tours including warm-up matches - archive stats on best results etc...and cups both ways, plus cups go on the line even if you have it in cabinet when you play Tri nations etc in following season i.e. a CURRENT trophy cabinet as well as an historical one.
* Can make multiple substitutions and positional changes mid-game
* Crowd more detailed and random - streaker every 30th game..can box privates.
* Step etc executed with more mixed results and potentially more success - exactly same physics as madden please (needs good execution not lots of money- not a valid excuse) i.e. Players can score different sorts of tries all the time.
* More tackle animations and...yes...the hit stick (must be timed like Madden and doesn't get turnovers as often as it does just kick a man's ass)! Can effect a head high - so decision to use it is tempered.
* Sevens tournament
* Player creation - adjust current players option....no reason not to have the option to elongate the game's life and allow its potential to be fulfilled.
* No running into atacker at all!...yep......instead the corcle button will act as a higher grab/wrap up tackle like Jonah's....This way strong AI cannot be continuosly repelled escept by accurate, satisying tackling....mixing x as dive tackle and circle as grab and right analogue as hit stick....perfect!
* Added statistics on attitude and propensity for fighting etc.....
* A form indicator that affects individual's performances for the team...like PES4.
* Option for fighting - punch button etc and rucking too - but both can result in on and off-field punishment.......One word: Judiciary.
* Create your own tournament - for multi-player parties etc.....
* Option for controller to shift onto cpu team for person to play as your opposition if choose to.
* Five difficulty levels:

- Novice
- Average (same as normal on Rugby 2005)
- Provincial
- International (as hard as hard on Rugby 2005)
- World Class - genuinely, insanely competitive AI in terms of their inventiveness and execution NOT their ball hogging!

* many different try celebrations - keep them simple if need be, but must have at least 20 - 25.
* specefic couple of all team celebrations if try scored with time-up to win or seal a final etc......and relevant commentary.
* tiny bit more distance on kicking - but not bad effort..once mastered.....
* When on side view - camera goes with the play across the field a fraction and back to allow better visuals.
* On set-moves...the icons switch around.
* Better information on injuries - length of time out....PLUS - what it is.
* Plenty of unlockables (but on completion of International level Cups - which in turn unlocks World Class level.....SJRL style!). Once this is completed, ten extra teams are unlocked (SH, NH, EURO, SUPER 12 etc...plus a nadful of novelty teams...Monsters etc...trust me).
* Three commentators - sideline comments guy.....authentic enthusiasm from all.
* Man-of-the-match.
* Individual stats on line-breaks, tackles made/attempted etc......
* stats for tries etc (this is an IMPORTANT one)...must be on a table including ALL teams - so there are tallies of season best wit boot and tries and tackles etc....for which there are bonus points awarded in World League and simply for interest in World Cups and Super 12s except that they can be archived as best season tally etc......having just your own team's is NOT GOOD ENOUGH.
* Franchise Mode

and there you have it........If this was done....I would not need to fret over rugby games again and I would retire from game buying with just BLIC 2005, RL2 and Rugby 2006 - Black Thunder...to keep my gaming needs satisfied.

Most of what I speak of is options that can easily be included...the rest requires nous and commonsense and a little elbow grease....come on EA! We all know what you are capable of.
<
What do you guys think of this list? Do I need to give it its own topic heading etc.......feeling ignored!!
<

I think ur a tad optimistic if u hope 4 all that in 2006. Also, what r EA capable of?

Latest posts