• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby 2012 - Season Mode

Dizzy

First XV
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
Like Rugby 2005 where before you began you had to pick a country.
Let's say when you start this mode you must pick a country and depending on what country you choose, decides which teams you will be eligible for.
Since I'm a New Zealander, I'll pick New Zealand.
Then my season starts off in the Super 15. So I get the option to select one of the five New Zealand franchises you play as. I'll pick the Hurricanes and commence playing the Super 15 tournament. During the tournament certain players would have performed better than others, injuries would put players out of commission and by the end of the year all the New Zealand franchises would be hoping for All Black selection. So the form players of the tournament will be selected for the All Blacks[Like in the NBA ***les, how certain players are picked for the All Stars depending on their performance throughout the season].

Then we'll start off the beginning of the season tests against the Northern Hemisphere squads[random or simulation].
After these matches will birth the beginning of the Tri-Nations.
Then the end of year Grand Slam tour.

This continues for four years until the World Cup and in between have the British and Irish Lions tour[not sure how frequent this is].

During the entire Season Mode have a news hud quite like the World League news feed but have these feeding news from all the other international squads playing each other in their own test matches. And judging by each teams succes/failure the IRB world rankings could be implemented as well.

George, a lot of people before you have come up with this idea. Dizzy's not trying to steal 'your' idea, rather trying to improve the general idea by adding his own advice.

Approve. :)

How long should this mode be? Should it just be a season? Or more like Franchise/Association mode in Madden/NBA games?

Funnily enough I was thinking about an idea similar to this the other day. I like it.

I would say a lot of people would have a similar idea to Dizzy, good to see it down as a thread.

My two cents would, if at all possible, start at an even lower domestic competition and work your way up, without necessarily staying within your country of birth. For example, fill in an application stating name, age, country, etc. So very similar to Dizzy but lower say with the Southland Stags in the ITM Cup and work you're way up to the next job. Depending on your performance with your local team, which can last one to three or whatever season, other jobs will then open up. So maybe go coach an English Championship side before going up to a Magners League side. When you get to a certain level in your career then you can apply or get offered other jobs such as the Barbarian job, then work into an international job scene, say Japan before the winning goal of the game; coaching your country of birth, unless you are from Spain then one of the big 10. Coach your team to the world cup or a lion's tour.
Don't restrict the game to this world cup, we have England in 2015 and Japan in 2019 so make a person work for their career.
This could work for most rugby playing nations, if again licences were available, say in Ireland or Wales just start from the AIB or Welsh Primer ship.

With this season mode I feel that every aspect of coaching a real team should be put in place, from sorting out training and focusing on certain type of game play to hiring and firing of players which are effected by form, injury and international call ups. Like any other sport game you will have a board of directors who expectations must be met.

Another Idea that I had and mentioned in another thread, and please give feedback, is the idea of using story lines in season mode. In different season flames of hatred are fuelled by the media and by the bad mouthing of the coach. So for example, New Zealand Australia rival. Not that it needs extra fuel but in the build up to the tri-nations Robbie Deans personality attacks you as the New Zealand coach. The game tries to build pressure on you the gamer from all angles such as media, fans, directors and so on. This could work in Europe with club sides, I mentioned this already in a other thread; after a spell in which you were the academy coach for Toulouse (where during a game you could only control your selected academy players) you move on to a new club, as head coach of say Sale, were bad press, rumours fan the flames of hatred between yourself and former club Toulouse, which ends with both teams, by no accident, meeting in the final of the Heineken Cup, thus ending the story line.
Others story lines can be such as injury crisis, star player injury, run of poor form, underdog, hated league, local or cup rivals, race to win the league, or like when they hyped up Munster first Heineken Cup by saying they have for filled their "density"

Thoughts?

Like Jayatron said I'm sure this is how most people would like it to be, I say anything close would be a bonus. I never played the world league mode, being a manager game fanatic the lack of managerial depth and statistics just didn't attract to me. Hopefully they can replicate something close to this and build on it every ***le.

i reckon the manager mode should have more priority .

i would like to see a very realistic manager mode eg. a player should have a potential rating that is only for this mode so over the years depending how high the rating is out of 100 the faster a player develops .

To add to my earlier suggestion on a new season mode I feel that all aspects of being an international coach should be taken into account. What I mean is squad selection. For example you, the player, have just got the Ireland job and it is up to you to pick the team. This is were my idea comes into a affect; stats are a big part of the players profile, in theory you could pick a team based on this, however form should be, or at least equal, to the importance of players stats.
As the Ireland coach you pick the players with the best form and the only way to decide is to go to matches. Like any high profile game the national coach is always there watching, the game should reflect this.
As the coach you pick one game a week to attend during the regular season (outside the intentional test window) and there you can watch or play as Irish qualified players and decide who you shall invite to training camps. So Brain O'Driscoll will probably be the highest ranked Irish player but when you attend a Lenister game you find he's slow, falls of tackles and is kicking terribly, showing poor form and make you think a bit harder about selection.
As the coach your scouts will recommend players, which will bring you round the four provinces of Ireland and else where. For example Bob Casey who captains London Irish, Johne Murphy when he was still with Leicester and any up and coming stars.
After the team has been selected for training camps which should be as important as real games, you put your players through their paces, raising the stats and at the same time finding out who is the best Irish XV. Sprint drills to find your wingers, tackle and breakdown drills to find your back row.

The main bonus of this is time scale. My earlier suggestion on a manger mode, with a club, would takes hours to complete, it would be an anti climax if you only had to worry about summer and autumn tests, 6 nations and world cup. The aspect of international coaching would end very quickly, which would be a shame.
By adding this selection process, which could be skipped for the less die hard fans, it will add a more real and enjoyable aspect to the game, which will keep gamers on the toes.

Latest posts