• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby boots

Aout

Academy Player
Country Flag
France
Club or Nation
Racing Metro
Not sure if I'm posting in the good place, if it's not the case feel free to move my post.

I always had Nike boots (my current ones are CTR 360) which have always given me satisfaction, but I now would like to try an other brand, Puma.

One of their classic model is the Puma Esito (very sober, nothing flashy), but the price seem to be really cheap. Do someone own them ?

I've never owned a pair of Puma boots - I was going to get some but they didn't feel right on my feet when I tried them on (found them quite narrow) - However a couple of people on my team wear them and love them, so they must be decent

I had the same feeling that many players like Puma. I have a friend who played at Stade Toulousain until last year (he was an "espoir", something like U23), and he told me that Puma are indeed very popular among players, and he is himself using Puma boots despite the fact that his club was offering him free Nike boots.

Well, I bought them, they're only 29£ after all (which is a bit bizarre).

Btw, other question : how many stoods on your boots ? I hate the feeling of having too many stoods, I feel much "lighter" when I'm running with 6-stoods boots.

This is a great question, would love more detail about boots for Rugby, as I can never find enough about them. As I live and play in Canada, my selection option is very limited and have to order boots if I want something good. I don't do this because I don't want to get something uncomfortable or that just does not work for me.

Would love to get some feedback on the main boots, Nike, Addidas, Puma... and any others.

Stud number doesn't actually play a big part of speed

I read something before, it was about football boots but is about studs so is relevant, and they timed players running sprints in 6 and 8 stud boots and there was very little/no difference in times

Most of my boots have been 6 stud boots, but I've worn 8 studs and didn't find them any different, other than a tad heavier (but they were heavier boots in general - They were Adidas Flankers, as opposed to the Adidas 9-XVs I replaced them with)

@Douggy

Usually forward boots have more stoods than back ones (because they need to have a better "grasp" in scrum, rucks, etc...).

I know about forwards having more studs and are usually bigger studs than backs.

What I don't know is what is the biggest difference between the main brands and what do most pro's prefer.

For example: I know that some Loosies/forards use back boots, but with larger studs normally.

But even past that, is how do they feel? From what is said above Pumas tend to be narrow compared to other brands. It is thoughs type of traits that I don't really understand.

I know about forwards having more studs and are usually bigger studs than backs.

What I don't know is what is the biggest difference between the main brands and what do most pro's prefer.

For example: I know that some Loosies/forards use back boots, but with larger studs normally.

But even past that, is how do they feel? From what is said above Pumas tend to be narrow compared to other brands. It is thoughs type of traits that I don't really understand.

I would recommend Adidas. I have worn them for 21 years. Great boots.

Dougy, you may want to think about buying moulder soles. The grounds out west, are hard and fast in the summer. Studs would tear your feet to shreds. Also, moulded boots are generally soccer and are much lighter (I have enough weight to carry round, don't need to add more). Many of fella's in my club that play at a high level swear by moulded for our particular surface. If I recall you are in Halifax, so I can't comment on the surface.

I have two pairs of boots one with 8 stud the other with 6 I much prefer the 8 studs give me a better grip for the rucks and scrums and when it came to running i felt no difference so I think it depends on your position.

ya, I have an old pair of Adidas Flankers that are blades, I use it when we play on turf or if the ground is rock solid. I then have a forward specific show it big old studs, I completly agrea about the moulded boots, and I think the next buy I make is either the new Flankers, which are starting to look nicer and nicer, or an more soccer Adidas boot with interchangable studs.

Latest posts