• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Challenge 2006

" these guys maximise the technology available
It definately needs a new rucking system, no rugby game has had a decent rucking system yet! JLR was one of the worst in that area..." [/quote]
JLR had the best ruck system by far

There's a few more screen shots at teamxbox.com (for Xbox obviously). What the hell is up with Scotland's jerseys by the way??

Yeah, they're weird alright but none of the jerseys are right. I hope the next game doesn't have those bloody mauls every 5 seconds

Originally posted by el_tk@Jul 3 2005, 08:15 AM
Yeah, they're weird alright but none of the jerseys are right. I hope the next game doesn't have those bloody mauls every 5 seconds
Has the gameplay actually changed in the game? I've seen screenshots of it, and it looks it will be a button-basher like the last, with mauls frequent again and props standing out on the wing, and being realy slow.

Can any1 tell me how it has actually changed from WCR in gameplay plz? I don't know wat to get out of Rugby League 2 and this in September.

Originally posted by ak47+Jun 15 2005, 02:43 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Jun 15 2005, 02:43 PM)</div>
Originally posted by sanzar@Jun 15 2005, 12:46 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-ak47
@Jun 15 2005, 10:41 AM
all this game has to do is play and feel like JLR and it will be the new leader in rugby

all it needs is offloads........manual rucks/mauls..........attacking kicking game.......jump button............career/franchise mode...........and we have a new king.

now i know its being optimistic, but in reality, 10 yrs on on new gen consoles, it really should be a piece of ****

heres hoping these guys maximise the technology available

It definately needs a new rucking system, no rugby game has had a decent rucking system yet! JLR was one of the worst in that area...
JLR and rugby 2001 have the only rucking systems

if JLR was on of the worst in ur opinion, i like to know which ones u think beat JLR

Rugby 2001
Rugby 2004
Rugby 2005
WCR

ur kidding [/b]
I actually think Rugby 2001 had the best rucking system, but in all honesty I think they are all absolutely attrocious and stating one is better than another doesn't deal with the fact that NO Rugby game has had a rucking system that even comes close to real life! JLR is no exeption...
In my opinion rucks need to be FAR more interactive. The tackle button should have an extra option that allows you to fight to stay on your feet and try to steel the ball! So if you tackle an isolated winger, then unless he can fight you to the ground long enough to get support, then you should have ample opportunity at getting the ball. There should also be an option that allows you to try and turn a tackler in the tackle, but doing so may lead to the tackle being proken. If it is successful however, you should be abble to quickly select all your forwards to steamroll the ruck. On the other side you should be able to control both when and how you release the ball... If you have plenty of forward support you can place it quickly and far away from your body, but if you have minimal support you should be able to release it close to your body to make it harder to steel... and of course if you are in danger of losing the ball you should be able to try and hold onto the ball, but at the risk of getting penelised. As for your forwards, you should be able to do 2 things: with the first few, be able to provide adaquate protection of the ball for the half back and then if the other team try to steam roll over, then you should be able to send additional forwards to clear out the ruck!

It may be a bit far fetched to ask for all that considering the current efforts, but for me if a rugby game could effectively implement a rucking system like that, along with other gameplay features that were equally in deapth, but also responsive, then it would be the ultimate!

Originally posted by sanzar+Aug 3 2005, 03:33 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sanzar @ Aug 3 2005, 03:33 PM)</div>
Originally posted by ak47@Jun 15 2005, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by sanzar@Jun 15 2005, 12:46 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-ak47
@Jun 15 2005, 10:41 AM
all this game has to do is play and feel like JLR and it will be the new leader in rugby

all it needs is offloads........manual rucks/mauls..........attacking kicking game.......jump button............career/franchise mode...........and we have a new king.

now i know its being optimistic, but in reality, 10 yrs on on new gen consoles, it really should be a piece of ****

heres hoping these guys maximise the technology available

It definately needs a new rucking system, no rugby game has had a decent rucking system yet! JLR was one of the worst in that area...

JLR and rugby 2001 have the only rucking systems

if JLR was on of the worst in ur opinion, i like to know which ones u think beat JLR

Rugby 2001
Rugby 2004
Rugby 2005
WCR

ur kidding
I actually think Rugby 2001 had the best rucking system, but in all honesty I think they are all absolutely attrocious and stating one is better than another doesn't deal with the fact that NO Rugby game has had a rucking system that even comes close to real life! JLR is no exeption...
In my opinion rucks need to be FAR more interactive. The tackle button should have an extra option that allows you to fight to stay on your feet and try to steel the ball! So if you tackle an isolated winger, then unless he can fight you to the ground long enough to get support, then you should have ample opportunity at getting the ball. There should also be an option that allows you to try and turn a tackler in the tackle, but doing so may lead to the tackle being proken. If it is successful however, you should be abble to quickly select all your forwards to steamroll the ruck. On the other side you should be able to control both when and how you release the ball... If you have plenty of forward support you can place it quickly and far away from your body, but if you have minimal support you should be able to release it close to your body to make it harder to steel... and of course if you are in danger of losing the ball you should be able to try and hold onto the ball, but at the risk of getting penelised. As for your forwards, you should be able to do 2 things: with the first few, be able to provide adaquate protection of the ball for the half back and then if the other team try to steam roll over, then you should be able to send additional forwards to clear out the ruck!

It may be a bit far fetched to ask for all that considering the current efforts, but for me if a rugby game could effectively implement a rucking system like that, along with other gameplay features that were equally in deapth, but also responsive, then it would be the ultimate! [/b]
fair call mate

I also agree they need more interaction

NO such thing as over interaction

HB's rucks arent rucks

They are NRL play the balls, with the odd knock-on

if the hive is buzzing, i hope some killer hornets come and rape them

Originally posted by harrison2468+Aug 3 2005, 03:55 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (harrison2468 @ Aug 3 2005, 03:55 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-el_tk
@Jul 3 2005, 08:15 AM
Has the gameplay actually changed in the game? I've seen screenshots of it, and it looks it will be a button-basher like the last, with mauls frequent again and props standing out on the wing, and being realy slow.

Can any1 tell me how it has actually changed from WCR in gameplay plz? I don't know wat to get out of Rugby League 2 and this in September. [/b]
umm u only have to read back to the first couple pages where locksley answer some of ur q's

actually it sounds as tho the game has vastly improved...and they said during there game experience that didnt notice many mauls..i dont think they notice them at all

it sounds more fluid..as long is nice and smooth and has depth to it and plays nice then im happy

Originally posted by THE CHIROPRACTOR101+Oct 19 2005, 11:30 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (THE CHIROPRACTOR101 @ Oct 19 2005, 11:30 AM)</div>
Originally posted by harrison2468@Aug 3 2005, 03:55 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-el_tk

Can any1 tell me how it has actually changed from WCR in gameplay plz? I don't know wat to get out of Rugby League 2 and this in September.
umm u only have to read back to the first couple pages where locksley answer some of ur q's

actually it sounds as tho the game has vastly improved...and they said during there game experience that didnt notice many mauls..i dont think they notice them at all

it sounds more fluid..as long is nice and smooth and has depth to it and plays nice then im happy [/b]
Mauls happen if you do the run into tackle (no button, just direction). Just like Jonah did (good cos you can catch someone unaware when you want to set up a maul to consolidate)

yeah GG the maul in JLR also prevented the big fella from palming 100m down the field

Smith and Lomu were devasting fenders!!!

Originally posted by THE CHIROPRACTOR101+Oct 19 2005, 11:30 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (THE CHIROPRACTOR101 @ Oct 19 2005, 11:30 AM)</div>
Originally posted by harrison2468@Aug 3 2005, 03:55 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-el_tk

it sounds more fluid..as long is nice and smooth and has depth to it and plays nice then im happy [/b]
<
I asked that question in August.

RC2006, from the sound of it, seems look a decent improvement from WCR, with most of the things I hated in WCR being removed or changed. The appeal to the game is that it is easy to play, so if I play with against friends who don't know much about rugby, they'll be able to play the game easily. The speed bar is the most annoying thing to me though.

Latest posts