• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RUGBY CHALLENGE 4

Hmmm i am yet to be impressed by any RC game hope this is a good one

I'm really looking forward to this game. I will buy the PC version very quickly.

Would the PS4 version of this game support mods? Asking for a friend who knows nothing about things sort of thing....no me , i'm well techy and know loads about modification stuff.

Can't wait for this one. Look forward to be a pro. And now that my kiwi mate lives with me I look forward to crushing the Hurricanes with the Reds.

Excited for this, Obviously there will be things out of their control which would be unrealistic to expect, like full licencing. I'm not going to put any major things like set plays/massive improvement like new game modes etc. Of course at this point It's probably too late for these to be implemented, so hopefully they did some queries around what problems people faced before they started on this game.

The non negotiables for me would be:
  • Replacement numbers need to be correctly ordered based on how we place them in the squad. (Not based on Database ID like it has been) One of my biggest pet peeves in the recent games. It's been long enough now.
  • A game that doesn't crash when you have edited teams, it's all good and well having a fanhub but if you can't use it to fill squads without it crashing it's basically pointless. (no point having a good career/be a pro mode if we can't use it. )
  • Players over 2metres tall able to catch the ball off lineouts as the #1 jumper.
  • It would be nice to see pro teams in career modes pick up less lower quality players in the transfer window. When you're playing against Crusaders/Saracens/Leinster/Toulouse etc, we don't want to be lining up against a bunch of 50/60 rated no name players. In career mode, the South African super rugby sides are completely full of fake players off the first season (before a transfer window has opened) which also sucks, Big time.
Things I would like to see improved:
  • Goal kicking made to be a little harder, or make wind affect the place kicks correctly. It's not as much fun when you can get 100% kicking on the hardest difficulty with ease every single game.
  • Player fatigue is basically non existent, what's the point in using the bench when the players barely tire. (at least have a slider for it)
  • Scrum-half passing the ball from rucks more often, one of the great, under-rated features in rugby 08 etc was that the 9, (unless they were tackled) would be the one passing at rucks. Having a 9 standing in the backline while your tighthead prop is passing off the base of a ruck is insane to me.
  • Again, an under rated feature from rugby 08, let the player lay on the ground until a stoppage in play. That is a pet peeve of mine in the rugby challenge series is when there is an injury the game is stopped for a scrum.
Small things that would improve the experience:
  • Worked a little bit more on quick lineouts, (it's very rare to get the opportunity to use the feature), not a huge issue though.
  • Some player progression would be nice in career modes.
  • When using the "Prepare kicker" option, the game doesn't wait for your 10, (or next best kicker) to get into position, instead it might throw a forward back there, performing a clearance kick/drop goal with your prop is just silly, Unless you are Matt dunning of course!

The game play is seriously fun and free flowing, if it weren't for these small ****les that keep letting it down it could be a really good game, but it seems to constantly have these same issues. Fingers crossed for a less glitchy game this time around.

Anything I have missed guys?

Last edited:
Excited for this, Obviously there will be things out of their control which would be unrealistic to expect, like full licencing. I'm not going to put any major things like set plays/massive improvement like new game modes etc. Of course at this point It's probably too late for these to be implemented, so hopefully they did some queries around what problems people faced before they started on this game.

• Replacement numbers need to be correctly ordered based on how we place them in the squad. (Not based on Database ID like it has been) One of my biggest pet peeves in the recent games. It's been long enough now.
  • A game that doesn't crash when you have edited teams, it's all good and well having a fanhub but if you can't use it to fill squads without it crashing it's basically pointless. (no point having a good career/be a pro mode if we can't use it. )
  • Players over 2metres tall able to catch the ball off lineouts as the #1 jumper.
  • It would be nice to see pro teams in career modes pick up less lower quality players in the transfer window. When you're playing against Crusaders/Saracens/Leinster/Toulouse etc, we don't want to be lining up against a bunch of 50/60 rated no name players. In career mode, the South African super rugby sides are completely full of fake players off the first season (before a transfer window has opened) which also sucks, Big time.
  • Goal kicking made to be a little harder, or make wind effect the place kicks correctly. It's not as much fun when you can get 100% kicking on the hardest difficulty with ease every single game.
  • Player fatigue is basically non existent, what's the point in using the bench when the players barely tire. (at least have a slider for it)
  • Scrum-half passing the ball from rucks more often, one of the great, under-rated features in rugby 08 etc was that the 9, (unless they were tackled) would be the one passing at rucks. Having a 9 standing in the backline while your tighthead prop is passing off the base of a ruck is insane to me.
  • Again, an under rated feature from rugby 08, let the player lay on the ground until a stoppage in play. That is a pet peeve of mine in the rugby challenge series is when there is an injury the game is stopped for a scrum.
  • Worked a little bit more on quick lineouts, (it's very rare to get the opportunity to use the feature), not a huge issue though.
  • When using the "Prepare kicker" option, the game doesn't wait for your 10, (or next best kicker) to get into position, instead it might throw a forward back there, performing a clearance kick/drop goal with your prop is just silly, Unless you are Matt dunning of course!

The game play is seriously fun and free flowing, if it weren't for these small ****les that keep letting it down it could be a really good game, but it seems to constantly have these same issues. Fingers crossed for a less glitchy game this time around.

You covered a lot of good points, I'd like player injuries to be graded i.e minor, severe, with minor allowing them to continue to play for as long as you opt to keep them on but with a reasonable reduction in stats and for severed injuries to leave the player on the ground requiring a substitution upon a break in play (Much how the 2k NBA games handle it)
Other than that player positioning is my biggest hope. I'd love for the fullback to actually be back to receive kicks and for the 9 to be the primary passer.
It may be hard for them to code players like Michael Hooper, Scott Higginbotham and Dane Coles who are forwards but spend 80% of the game hanging out on the wing realistically.

You covered a lot of good points, I'd like player injuries to be graded i.e minor, severe, with minor allowing them to continue to play for as long as you opt to keep them on but with a reasonable reduction in stats and for severed injuries to leave the player on the ground requiring a substitution upon a break in play (Much how the 2k NBA games handle it)
Other than that player positioning is my biggest hope. I'd love for the fullback to actually be back to receive kicks and for the 9 to be the primary passer.
It may be hard for them to code players like Michael Hooper, Scott Higginbotham and Dane Coles who are forwards but spend 80% of the game hanging out on the wing realistically.

Love that idea on grading of injuries. The lowering their stats would go along great with the fatigue/fitness actually doing something. A concussion test, 10 minute replacement option would be cool, but probably too much to ask for.
Agree on the fullback too, when your fullback manages to catch it on the full being able to set up a counter attack is a lot of fun, in some of the pre rugby challenge games you had the option to drop your wingers back out of the defensive line when you were expecting the opposition to kick.

What I'd like to see is if they can manage to remove what I call the "magnet effect" in nearly all the recent rugby games since 2000. What I mean by this is where it seems like players are all magnets on the field some are + and some are -, and for some reason the + always tend to connect to another +and then just like a magnet pushes away rather quickly.

Rugby 08 had minor injuries if you remember, can't be too hard to get at least what we had 10 years ago on that and player progression in career mode.

• Goal kicking made to be a little harder, or make wind affect the place kicks correctly. It's not as much fun when you can get 100% kicking on the hardest difficulty with ease every single game.

Also improve the shot of the drop goal, make it more realistic.

image.jpg
44JE3JOISJDXFBSA3YDKE5ER6A.jpg

Also improve the shot of the drop goal, make it more realistic.
I'd argue that we are very blessed with the animations in Rugby Challenge and probably shouldn't nit pick them on that too much, especially when you compare it to the other games.
If they get the silly bugs and nuisances out, then anything extra (that actually works) will be a bonus in my eyes.

It'd be great also to have a more complete scrum and maul system and to score a try by maul (Rugby 08 teaches…)

I'd like the game could contemplate future amendments to international rules too, like 50/22 kicking and so on… giving the possibility of activating them or not

Apart from all the things mentioned, including all the buggy annoyances, I would really like a proper scrum. It would be a total overhaul and the chance of seeing one in a rugby game in the next 50 years is about 0.007% but imagine how great it would be seeing realistic binding, driving, opposition scrum under pressure, collapsing, popping up. Winning scrum penalties or shoving the opposition backwards and seeing their pack disintegrate or even getting a penalty try. Could be influenced by player ratings obviously, fatigue, form, momentum in the match. I can dream....

Latest posts