• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Coaching

O

O'Rothlain

So, straight to it then, lads...
I'm the new Rugby Coach for the UCO RFC.
www.ucok.edu

I need help with drills. So please, post any good drills (practice routines, ect...) here. Give them a name, an explanation, and if their exists a link to video or pictures or something, chunk those in as well. I've got a really amatuer side here. You've all (I think) read some of my postings about the state of Rugby in the US of A, and this club is a prime example. I've got to whip these men into shape and teach them the FUNDAMENTALS.

Passing Drills
Runnig Drills
Rucking Drills
Scrum Drills
Mauling Drills
CHABAL Drills
All serious suggestions deeply appreciated. I have a week to build a routine.

HELP!

Cheers,

Coach Rowlan

i'm heading out for rugby now. off the top of my head i can tell u use the ancient indian game of KABBADI to inculcat tackling in them.

i'll drop the others i can rmb later

be sure to convert them to chabalism!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On a more serious note- one way that works wonders for the loosies to get the upper body strength going, is actually wrestling. Grecko-roman style wrestling. I`m sure you could maybe get one of the college coaches involved hey?

And for the backs- get `em skipping rope. No kidding. Certainly helps to get the feet going, and stepping skills is quite essential.

Nate, how does your team look? Big lads for a more forward-orientated game, a guy with a massive boot so that you`ll play a more kicking-orientated game, quick lads to get the ball to on the wing? Cause that`ll pretty much determine the type of game you`ll be playing, and hence the type of drills you`ll have to do.

Make everyone (props included) practice 2-on-1s, 3-on-2s etc until they hate you. So many times in matches you see overlaps being wasted, and taking those chances is arguably the most fundamental attacking skill.

Get everyone thinking up ways to draw defenders in, like little scissors moves or miss passes when appropriate. Every player in every position needs to have confidence and know what to do when he gets the ball in his hands.

If it isn't a very experienced team, you also want to dedicate time to fitness drills. Even if a side aren't quite as skilled as their opponents, the ability to keep going at full tilt in the last 20 minutes of a match might just provide an edge, particularly at amateur level.

Nate, how does your team look?
[/b]
No clue yet...we have a team meeting on Monday afternoon (4pm CST). From what I gather, it'll be smaller guys.

Make everyone (props included) practice 2-on-1s, 3-on-2s etc until they hate you.[/b]
They will hate me, 'cause Coach Rowlan is a no nonsense sort of bloke just like Barry Gibb...
Barry Gibb Talk Show
<embed src="http://lads.myspace.com/videos/vplayer.swf" flashvars="m=6038565&v=2&type=video" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="430" height="346"></embed>
Add to My Profile | More Videos
I once gave a kangaroo a heart attack by staring at it!

Lineup all the players in a straight line like this

X X X X X X X 0 X X X X X X X X

Than you stand in the middle with rugby balls.
You call out a number from 1 - 10 and punt the ball down the field.
Lets say you call 5.
Than 5 people chase down the ball and try to run the ball back up the field for a Try.

As soon as a player picks up the ball or whenever you want, you call any number from 1-10, the number you call is the amount of defenders that run down the field and play defense. The defenders are allowed to tackle.

The amount of offensive players you call down the field are working on ways to draw defenders in, like little scissors moves or miss passes, offloads and they are also working on communication, running and passing.

The amount of people you call to defend while also chasing for the ball should be working on defensive plans and tackling.
If you keep up this activity for long time, your players will be fast thinkers.

Its kind of like the game Last Man Satnding but with players working on their skills like chasing down, lineing up on offense and defense.
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/csmzwPTBrkA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/csmzwPTBrkA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Lineup all the players in a straight line like this

X X X X X X X 0 X X X X X X X X

Than you stand in the middle with rugby balls.
You call out a number from 1 - 10 and punt the ball down the field.
Lets say you call 5.
Than 5 people chase down the ball and try to run the ball back up the field for a Try.

As soon as a player picks up the ball or whenever you want, you call any number from 1-10, the number you call is the amount of defenders that run down the field and play defense. The defenders are allowed to tackle.

The amount of offensive players you call down the field are working on ways to draw defenders in, like little scissors moves or miss passes, offloads and they are also working on communication, running and passing.

The amount of people you call to defend while also chasing for the ball should be working on defensive plans and tackling.
If you keep up this activity for long time, your players will be fast thinkers.

Its kind of like the game Last Man Satnding but with players working on their skills like chasing down, lineing up on offense and defense.
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/csmzwPTBrkA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/csmzwPTBrkA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object> [/b]
I like the idea, but still haven't got it down. Let's start with that video and the drill Last Man Standing. How does it work? Two opposite sides running at eachother? I think my team would like it, but how does it narrow itself down?
My other question is the drill you were describing, I call out 5 and five defenders go out and 5 runners...how do the players know which 5?

I like the idea, but still haven't got it down. Let's start with that video and the drill Last Man Standing. How does it work? Two opposite sides running at eachother? I think my team would like it, but how does it narrow itself down?
My other question is the drill you were describing, I call out 5 and five defenders go out and 5 runners...how do the players know which 5?
[/b]

Okay, set up two lines, either of random or my personal favourite, backs vs. forwards. Don't use a full rugby pitch, just 10 by 5m long for example. You yell out a number, be it two. The first two people in each line run to their goaline whilst you chuck or kick a ball in either of the two goal lines' directions. The ones who gather the ball are offensive obviously, with the other two having to defend their line. It plays out like a normal Sevens type match with rucks etc. and the first to score wins. To add for effect, the losing side plus their line has to do the number of push ups the number of players were involved in the 'match', in this case, four (two+two).

Will look somewhat like this:

Rugby.jpg

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

Okay, set up two lines, either of random or my personal favourite, backs vs. forwards. Don't use a full rugby pitch, just 10 by 5m long for example. You yell out a number, be it two. The first two people in each line run to their goaline whilst you chuck or kick a ball in either of the two goal lines' directions. The ones who gather the ball are offensive obviously, with the other two having to defend their line. It plays out like a normal Sevens type match with rucks etc. and the first to score wins. To add for effect, the losing side plus their line has to do the number of push ups the number of players were involved in the 'match', in this case, four (two+two).

Will look somewhat like this:

Rugby.jpg

[/b][/quote]
aha! Excellent...sounds great...one I will be trying out!

Hey,

When i'm at training, my coach always makes us do this simple passing drill.

Basically set out some cones like this.

3X

2X

1X

X 1X 2X 3X

X=cone

Make sure they are roughly 4 people wide.
Then you get them into groups of 4. and have them go behin the cones, on each side.

Have them between the first 2 cones. Get one of the side to jog out with the ball and pass it along the group of 4. When you get to the end of the group they pass it to the first man in the first group on the other side.

You let them run through that a couple of times. then shout 2 and make them spread out between the first 3 cones. Let them continue doing the passing along the line like the first time. Then shout 3 and have them spread out along all the cones.

Then it's up to you where they go. Like have them at one and go to 3 and then to 2 back to 3 and then back to 1. You can do this until you decide to do a different drill.

It helps passing from tight spaces to bigger spaces, becuase you're not always passing the ball the same distance all the time in a game.

Let me know if you like it or not.

First i suggest purchasing or borrowing this

Link

Great book as a player and for a coach in the small amount of coaching ive done for an exam :)

also a good drill for working on tackling, defending as a line and fitness would be (ill explain as best i can)

5 people on tackle bags (can be as many as you want)

rest of players start in line with first bag

first of the line gets down on his chest, when hes ready 10 Press up's or something like it, he then calls "ready, Ready up" he then would sprint and hit the bag, then works back to a line and moves along to the second back, while focussing on the next bag instead of turning around.

he then gets down on his front again but in line with the second and the player who was behind him is now on his front in line with the first bag,

it would repeat till everyone has had a go, first man always calls it.

any problems understanding that let me know and ill see if i can explain it better

bulldog is simple, pick 1-2 players at random to be defenders and the rest have to try get to the other side of the grid that your working on, if a player is tackled they join the defending team,

could probaly google the rules if i dont make any sense again :D

this works on defence, team work and for the attack can help with spotting gaps as the game goes on.

hope they help
and as i said if i dont make sense and you want to know what i mean just let me know ;)

makes sure ther fit

make sure they can tackle

make sure you have some really great line out calls

make sure your backline can defend

that will win you games at most levels under pro.

The drill i hated but was quite useful for building stamina/tackling is you line up (preferably) 10 players opposite 10 tackle bags and on the player on the ends call they all charge up and hit the bag but instead of going back to the same bag they move one to the right and the tackler on the end runs around the back to the first tackle bag, until everyone ends up in the same place they started. You just repeat this, changing the players holding the bags and the tackler, a couple of times.

A good drill for rucking is you lay a tackle bag down and have four or five players holding tackle pads standing one side of the horizontal tackle bag and then you do the same thing twice more further down the pitch. Then you have 5 players preferably the tight five run in and step over the tackle bag and smash the players with the pads then you call for them to move to the next "breakdown" and then the next "breakdown" then back up the other way

And in reply to monatu, if the guys have never played together before just go for the basics in the lineout until they have started to gel properly as if you cant win lineouts you lose a major aspect of the forwards game. Start with something simple like a set of letters that represent front, middle and back like words beginning with A means front, words beginning with B means middle and words beginning with C means back and they are all catch and drive. Words beginning with D means front and off the top and words beginning with E means middle and off the top.

Latest posts