• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Game for iOS and Android

howlercs

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Hey everyone. So heres the deal. Im a designer for a (for now) undesclosed game studio focusing primarily on games for iOS and android devices. We may or may not have a great license to create a casual game based on our beloved game. Having been a part of the forum for a very long time Id really like to know what you would like to see in a casual game for mobile devices. Obviously casual does not mean a full on rugby ***le or even sevens but something thats accesable to everyone, uses very basic commands, very enjoyable and something rugby fans would want to play while sitting on the bus, waiting for your girlfriend while she shops, or the ever popular game time on the dunny. I want to create an addictive pick up and play game and id love your imput. Im the lead on the project so whatever ideas you have ill be sure to bring them to the table. And just so ya know. Ive played rugby for 29 years (age 4 to 33). Im from new zealand. Played for wellington, nz at age grade and played pro in europe since 2007 and even at international level so im confident to say i know rugby. Ive worked in the games industry for 6 years and have always had a desire to create a game of rugby for rugby fans. Like they say Made for rugbyheads by rugbyheads. Ive been a fan of games as long as Ive played rugby and I like most of you am still waiting for the rugby game that rivals madden and fifa. Yeh i was addicted to Jonah lomu rugby, settled for maddedn when there was no rugby game for ps2 and wanted so much to like rugby challenge but ultimately was left disappointed just like probably everyone reading this. The thing is I really am passionate about creating a game for you guys. And now I have the opportunity. And who knows if things go well maybe ill push for full game in the near future. So please if you have a great idea, suggestion, whatever get at me. Cheers and go the blacks!

Last edited:
I think a rugby management game would be good as actual full rugby would be hard on a phone.

Yes please make a management game

A management game would be cool, especially if you could have a all the leagues and players world wide - feed up to international level and so on.

The problem with rugby is it is so complex it's very tricky to get right.

Maybe one way would be to do a third person perspective and only focus on one player and his role within the game... think Tomb Runner style and instead of jumping and ducking you could pass left and right with a swipe and swipe up at an angle to sidestep left and right... but as you'd only be focusing in on that one person you don't have to worry about the larger context of the game just making the right decision.

You could start as a prop and work your way up to a 10 or 15, or vice versa.

You could have skills based training subgames - learn to spin pass, drop kick, dump tackle and so on....

Just how casual are we talking? I like the idea of a management game but would ideally prefer actually gameplay. Is something like the gameplay from Rugby League Legends out of the question. Arcadey, top down look. Very basic controls.

Something like Nintendo Pocket Football Club would be excellent, either as a managerial game, or as Lydiate+Warburton suggested, a very simple, arcadey ***le mimicking the 8-bit graphical style shown. We never got a rugby equivalent of ISS to feel hopelessly nostalgic about (Jonah Lomu Rugby doesn't count), why not seek to develop that?

How about something like fluid football but rugby?

Where you map out the plays ahead of them being executed?

Then watch them unfold? Part strategy part arcade to down.

Please don't do another kicking game. We've got enough of them already. I would love a management game where you control a club but that might not come under the casual banner. Good luck, it's always a good thing when someones making a rugby game.

I have always wanted a rugby manager game .. for mobile or pc dont really matter .. i even started to learn some programing skills to makr my own mobile rugby manager on mobile .. what i had in mind was a text based game like championship manager for starters and build on that .. for lisences you can make like pro rugby manager .. yst change some letter in the player name and mayby put a editor in the game or let people be able to edit the roosters with their pc .. but a rugby manager would really be awesome .. and i will be willing to help in any way i can

Hey thanks for the replies guys. Most of what you guys have suggested is along the lines of what Ive been thinking. I thought about a managemnet game but actually want something alot more simpler and management is not very casual. I like the idea of the arcadey games and i really want to tap into that jonah lomu nostalgia but im just figuring out a way to get it done on such a small screen. because people just dont want there hands on the screen at all times. The idea that goodnumber10 has was pretty much my first idea and have been developing that a bit more but i really dont want another subway surfer, minion rush rip off. the mechanics of passing, chipping instaed of jumping, using different player types with different skills eg if a bigger player has the ball and a smaller player is about to tackle the big player can steam roll him where as a smaller player on a larger player can use a side step or something. I think in the end itll be a mixture of the rugby league legends/jlr/runner type game but something that mimicks more the sport. ill keeps yas in the loop and keep the ideas coming. Cheers guys

New Star RUGBY????

Make a rugby version of "New Soccer Star" - that game is the most addictive thing ever and I hate soccer! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFc42kJPqvs

Yeh man I was playing it to death yesturday trying to think of the best way to apply it to rugby. It does seem like a deep game and alot of work so ill be sitting down with the nerds (programmers) either today or tommorrow to see how we can do it. I agree its super addictive and I too, being a dude, cant stand football. The good thing about this is it will be a lot easier to sell to the bosses because I live in Spain and they are futbol freaks.

New Soccer star is good but i really like this:

it's really intuitive and i reckona rugby version would really work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fluid Rugby

New Soccer star is good but i really like this:

it's really intuitive and i reckona rugby version would really work.

Yeah this is definatley what Im working towards. I made a presentation for 2 types of games. 1 which is sort of a runner/be a pro type game and the other a Fluid Football type game which if i can get it done properly actually works really well and could be special. The idea is to have the game set up similar to a puzzle type game where you need to score a try to progress. Basically you would be givena game scenario say from a ruck 20m out on the 15 The defense will be set up in a diferent manner and run diferent lines each time. The user has to draw the lines of each player before play starts. the players would run those lines and now you only control where the pass goes by tapping. It would be very trial and error to try manipulate the d and then find the open runner with good timing. Obviously the difficulty would ramp up by speed. another idea would be to have the play set up already without the user knowing and the user has to draw the running line of the person who has the gap. The second option I like quite alot.
The thing is is that I work for a company in Spain and rugby is a hard sell so what weve decided to do is make the runner because its easier and a lot quicker as we already have an engine built for it. but dont worry its not ya normal nfl rush, subway surfer type game. this will feel like rugby and make sense. ie you will be on field and passing, sidesteps, fends, chip kicks, bombs, drop kicks everything is included. when I have some concepts Ill put them up. I would really like to make this a community thing so all input is great and taken very seriously. Like i've said i want to make a game that you can pick up and get a quick rugby fix at any moment. If this goes well then ill be given more time and money for a fluid football game which i think would kill. Ultimatley id like to make a game that mixes the 2.
But for now this first game ill call an arcade open field rugby runner with goals and player progress. all player skills will be included and as many facets of the game possible. more details to come but any ideas or requests sound off here. Thanks for the feedback guys. Oh yeah don't take my spelling, grammar etc as a sign of lack of professionalism. Im just not worried about irrelevant things. hehe

Hey Guys.
Hopefully I can peak some interest to get you guys in with some feedback and hopefully make a game for the fans which we are seriously lacking on iphone.
Production has finally began on my arcade style rugby game. Its only day 1 but already managed to mock up a quick stadium and character to try get the camera and controls down.

A little explanation of the Game. The game is pure arcade style. Im talking NBA Jam, NFL blitz over the top stuff with huge tackles, power ups, huge amount of animations, easy intuitive controls for mobile devices, and highly addictive gameplay. Any one whos played Backbreaker will get the basic idea but this will not be that game. This will be a lot more exagerated take on Rugby.
The game will be level based. Each a different match with its own set of goals. Players must achieve these goals to progress. (Think angry birds with the 3 stars)
You will control one attacking player at a time but team mates will arrive to assist at certain moments. The player will be able to do all the skills of real life players but turned up to 11 and there will be 2 styles of players. Forwards and backs. Both with distinctive pros and cons, skills and animations. Backs will be quick, agile and have a bit more skill but can not take too many hits where the forwards will be bruisers and can take more damage but are a little slower. All attributes will be upgradable and needed in the higher difficulties.
The objective will be to obviously run the length of the field to score. Avoiding waves of defenders with speed, skill and power. To help power ups will be placed around the field and will be highly valuable.
The difficulty will ramp up with the speed of defenders, amount of defenders, time limit and goals needed.
The game will have easy controls with no onscreen buttons at all. using gestures and taps only so as to not clutter the onscreen action.
Im not sure yet what teams I will be included but for now seeming it is world cup year next year im thinking the top 25 international teams in the world but i may create club teams based on real world ones. once I have a build Ill be talking to the unions to see if I can get liscences but Im not quite sure yet how that will go just yet. We all know how much of a drama that is.
Anyways thats it for now. Hope this peaks your interest.I really hope we can start to make this a community project.
Cheers

Thanks

that looks really cool for a first day.

Thanks man. Its first day of production. Plannings been going on for about 3 or 4 weeks. Its a game for mobile devices so we dont really have much time. Hope to get the game out before xmas

Day 2. Nothing much new just messing with colors etc
[video=youtube_share;9iiV-Iv8Ak8]http://youtu.be/9iiV-Iv8Ak8[/video]

Latest posts