• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby in Norway

hermanshire

Academy Player
Country Flag
Norway
Club or Nation
Scarlets
New rugby clubs pop up regularly here in Norway. There have been started a rugby club near me. Sparbu Rugby. Many clubs here in Norway is just rugby clubs, but here they are a part of the local sports association.

I saw there's a Denmark vs Norway RWC 2019 qualifier this Saturday. I kinda wonder if many of the players in the national teams play club rugby in the same country, or if most of them are ex-pats

I'm aware of the club rugby system in Germany and in Austria/Slovenia (Alpine Rugby Championship is run jointly), but I haven't been able to find much info about Northern Europe. There's the Norway Rugby Championship apparently with 6 teams (not updated since 2014). Are the new clubs just joining in that? Or just in 7's or etc.?

I heard that in Denmark, Australian Rules Football is more popular.

The (now 2nd) best rugby club in Germany - which competes in the Challenge Cup Qualifying Tournament - is actually a rowing club with a rugby department :p

Well good to hear the sport is growing, in any case :)

Poorly I think. It is occasionaly started a club outside the big cities. There are few clubs north of Dovre. Nothing much have really changed the last years. The norwegian rugby federations web page is rarely updated with news. (August 29th was the last update) It takes ages to see scores on their web page. Frustrating. It is much better in Sweden

There's the Norway Rugby Championship apparently with 6 teams (not updated since 2014). Are the new clubs just joining in that? Or just in 7's or etc.?

As i can see from the federations web page. There are 1 Aussie club 1 Gaelic club. The rest are Union or League. 31 clubs all together. How many of them except for they who play in any league, I don´t know how active they are.

This season (2016) in Union there were/ are 6 clubs playing matches. The same amount of clubs are playing Rugby League. As you see most clubs don´t play any matches.
If there are any other lower leagues, I don´t know. The federation are not writing of any

My club Sparbu Rugby are going to play a friendly against NTNUI Rugby, as a warm up to Rugby League NM-Final between Bodø Barbarians and Trondheim RK on November 12th. It will be Sparbu RK first game since the start up. :bananarock:

On November 12th, the newly formed Sparbu Rugby, played their first game. A friendly against NTNUI (Trondheim)
In rugby 7s. We lost 45-0 (I think) But we have only had 6 trainings. I´m the one in the black cap and beard ;)
After that we played 1 half of 7 mins. 9s rugby with mixed teams (just for fun)

kWYmzJd.jpg

Last edited:
Rugby 7s tournament in Trondheim February 4th. 5-6 teams are going to participate. First proper games for my side, Sparbu Rugby

Jeez. It's nothing sinister or snarky, only that I'd be frustrated as a player or spectator if it clashed as it seems that in Norway - inferred from earlier posts - opportunities to play or watch seem kinda limited.

Keep us updated with how it goes. Is there going to be any media coverage?

Sparbu Rugby is getting better and better. But this season is mostly about learning.
Played Rugby 9s tournament on April 8th in Oslo.
We played one the best side in our first game, Stavanger, and who won the tournament, and lost only 26-0. We lost our 2nd and almost won our third. A collapse at the end caused the other team scoring 2 tries.
However, this was the first time we´ve played league.

Today we played 7s tournament in Trondheim. We lost because of a rubbish ref (french) who could not see obvious errors done by 2 of the teams we played. Charge from the side in a ruck, tripping players who don´t have the ball etc etc. Frustrating to have to explain the rules to the ref. But it was fun though

Latest posts