• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby League finally lands in US

• Thread starter snoopy snoopy dog dog
  • Start date
S

snoopy snoopy dog dog

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/spor...5006066,00.html

FAST forward to America's Independence Day, 2010. Fireworks light up the sky, The Star Spangled Banner blares around the field - and a game of rugby league breaks out. And not just any game, but the first US Grand Final featuring players who are household names in the NRL.

This isn't a pipe dream, it's going to happen, with a US professional rugby league competition to be announced within weeks.

After almost 40 years of trying, rugby league is about to kick off in the Land of Opportunity.

Competition commissioner and former St George halfback David Niu told The Daily Telegraph that the US league would kick off on March 12 next year and the championship final would be played on July 4, Independence Day.

It will involve eight teams from eight different cities and each club will have a 22-man playing roster for a tournament to be played over 14 weeks - seven home games and seven away matches.

Franchises are already set for Philadelphia, New York, Los Angeles, Denver, Jacksonville and Boston.

"We want to build a comp and we might only have one chance here to develop a professional game," Niu said.

"It would give players the chance to play league outside Europe.

"We would be looking at players towards the end of their careers, players who have maybe been internationals. We could offer a new experience. They could help grow a new sport in a different country."

Niu believes attracting top-level coaches from Australia was crucial.

"We want world-class coaches," Niu said. "The players over here have tremendous raw talent but some of the skills are missing. But there are athletes everywhere."

Brian Lowe, from American Rugby News, believes rugby league would be a hit in the US after rugby union's failure to break into the market.

"The fact of the matter is that while league possesses all the qualities the football fan craves, it's also a much faster game with fewer stoppages," Lowe said.

"Although those purists might not like to hear it, rugby union is way too stop-start, it's way too over-officiated, and it has become a kick-fest. Rugby league, on the other hand, offers end-to-end action, big hits, and for the most part is played at breakneck speed."

Bulldogs halfback Brett Kimmorley would love to play a season in the US.

"A lot of blokes would jump at the chance to play in America," he said.

"It would be awesome."[/b]
Here's a link to the new league's website: http://www.nrlus.com/

Good luck to them. The USA is a very competitive sporting marketplace.

I think people will like it in north america it's not as complicated as union well to me at least but i play union as long as it's not the same time as the nfl

well good luck to them... cannot see this working... no matter how much they say union has failed to break ground in the United States, which is total bullshit because Union in the United States is more popular then ever and it is only growing everyday. Union atleast registers as an established college sport .... league is al but unheard of. This article is just a spin article aimed at gathering support for the American National Rugby League.

I'm all for trying to expand any code of rugby into new ground, but I really can't see this working.

A few years ago someone announced a cricket league in the US. It flopped.

I do think, however, that RL has a better chance than XVs at breaking America, because it's a simpler game with less complicated rules to learn. However, 'breakneck speed' it is not... if they're expecting breackneck speed then they have basketball, or they can try Aussie/ Gaelic football. Any code of rugby, because of its physical nature, is sop-start.

IMO, if there's any form of rugby to make ground in the USA, it's 7s. It's fast, easy to understand, the USA national team is already quite good at it...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Mar 27 2009, 08:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm all for trying to expand any code of rugby into new ground, but I really can't see this working.

A few years ago someone announced a cricket league in the US. It flopped.

I do think, however, that RL has a better chance than XVs at breaking America, because it's a simpler game with less complicated rules to learn. However, 'breakneck speed' it is not... if they're expecting breackneck speed then they have basketball, or they can try Aussie/ Gaelic football. Any code of rugby, because of its physical nature, is sop-start.

IMO, if there's any form of rugby to make ground in the USA, it's 7s. It's fast, easy to understand, the USA national team is already quite good at it...[/b]
I don't really buy the argument that League will be more popular in the US than Union simply because it's a simplified form of the 15 man game. The most popular sport in the USA is (American) Football. How simple is that to understand?! To paraphrase an article I read yesterday, since Americans have no emotional attachment to rugby league (or union), it will fall into the entertainment category on TV for the average viewer. Would they rather watch Seinfeld re-runs where they at least know the characters, or an alien (to them) sport like rugby league?

guys Union is infinitely more popular than League is in the states. Union is growing and I imagine in the next few years you will begin to see more good American players break into the top levels of European competition. We already have Ngwenya at Biarritz and he is the top try scorer I believe in Top 14. Todd Clever is playing in the Super 14 and their are a host of other Union players from the States starting to pop up in Europe.

If Americans want a fast paced team sport they can watch Ice Hockey (arguably the fastest team sport in the world) or Basketball....

League is not going to go anywhere in the States.

Oh and North America regional competition is expanding this year from 4 teams to 8. 4 American and 4 Canadian regional union sides with the hope that they are eventually franchised. Eventually it is planned to include Argentinian and Uruguayan teams as well to form a Americas Rugby Cup with Franchised teams in cities.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Canadian_Rugger @ Mar 27 2009, 03:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Oh and North America regional competition is expanding this year from 4 teams to 8. 4 American and 4 Canadian regional union sides with the hope that they are eventually franchised. Eventually it is planned to include Argentinian and Uruguayan teams as well to form a Americas Rugby Cup with Franchised teams in cities.[/b]
I remember reading that a couple of years ago. Is expansion definitely going ahead this year because crowds have been really poor?

Yeah again as a North American i can't see this growing cause League is only popular in the southern states and Union is more popular everywhere else. And like Canadian_Rugger said league doesn't have any College Programs or Youth Programs.

And here's the American National Rugby League site http://www.amnrl.com/index.html

Union is more popular because they got in there first. League is catching up as far as I understand. If this new competition takes off union will get left behind in the US. Personally, I think this league will fail but you never know.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (William18 @ Mar 28 2009, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Union is more popular because they got in there first. League is catching up as far as I understand. If this new competition takes off union will get left behind in the US. Personally, I think this league will fail but you never know.[/b]

Thats hilarious I think you have been listening to Russell Crowe a little too much... Union is experiencing record participation in the states - FACT
Most High Schools now have programs - FACT
A ton of Youth Programs are forming - FACT
More Americans are playing High level rugby abroad then ever before - FACT

What league has is a bunch of expats playing in a rag tag league on the east coast of the United States... League has zero representation at the collegiate level in the states which is where the sport is really going to grow... Kids play sports in high school and before to get scouted for college programs... the more colleges establishing rugby programs and subsidizing athletes the more rugby will be played by youth.

As for the North America 4 competition yes the crowds were not good but thats because it was marketed very poorly... especially by rugby Canada... firstly the competition has no continuity right now but the plan is to establish it in specific regions now which should help crowds a bit.

I know in Canada they are basing the teams at the regional high performance centres in each region... which is basically the top club in the region. Team Atlantic is going to be based at Swilers RFC in St Johns and they will get good crowds if games are held there that is a fact.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Canadian_Rugger @ Mar 28 2009, 11:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
As for the North America 4 competition yes the crowds were not good but thats because it was marketed very poorly... especially by rugby Canada... firstly the competition has no continuity right now but the plan is to establish it in specific regions now which should help crowds a bit.[/b]
the NA4 is a terrible tournament if you can even call it one. All it is the US playing Canada seeing who's the best and not making the player any better cause its only 4 games it just like a stupid select side if anything the money should go to making/marketing a good USA/Canada Pro/Semi-Pro League (id. the Super Leagues we both have).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Frntline @ Mar 29 2009, 12:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Canadian_Rugger @ Mar 28 2009, 11:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As for the North America 4 competition yes the crowds were not good but thats because it was marketed very poorly... especially by rugby Canada... firstly the competition has no continuity right now but the plan is to establish it in specific regions now which should help crowds a bit.[/b]
the NA4 is a terrible tournament if you can even call it one. All it is the US playing Canada seeing who's the best and not making the player any better cause its only 4 games it just like a stupid select side if anything the money should go to making/marketing a good USA/Canada Pro/Semi-Pro League (id. the Super Leagues we both have).
[/b][/quote]

Totally agree with you there except the USA super league is way better run IMO then RCSL.... which by the way is dead now... The problem with Canadian Rugby is the powers that be have continually tried to alienate the clubs in this country and it has weakened the game considerably. The RCSL in Canada was poorly run from the start being that all the clubs were regional select sides that took the best players away from the club game and I gthink it did a lot of damage to rugby in Canada.

The NA4 was created as a tournament to give USA and Canada's top players a High Performance platform the prob was like all things done by rugby Canada is they included zero input from the clubs. Our biggest problem with this country is they have tried to implement policies used in the United Kingdom and Europe not taking into consideration the fact that the realities of the game in North America are totally different to those of Europe... really shortsighted by the IRB... Canada's HPD director Geraint John has continually talked about HPD and brought up the Celtic model which is totally stupid as he doesn't take into consideration the fact that canada is an immense country geographically and the economics just don't work here for rugby like they do in Europe.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Canadian_Rugger @ Mar 29 2009, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (William18 @ Mar 28 2009, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Union is more popular because they got in there first. League is catching up as far as I understand. If this new competition takes off union will get left behind in the US. Personally, I think this league will fail but you never know.[/b]

Thats hilarious I think you have been listening to Russell Crowe a little too much... Union is experiencing record participation in the states - FACT
Most High Schools now have programs - FACT
A ton of Youth Programs are forming - FACT
More Americans are playing High level rugby abroad then ever before - FACT

What league has is a bunch of expats playing in a rag tag league on the east coast of the United States... League has zero representation at the collegiate level in the states which is where the sport is really going to grow... Kids play sports in high school and before to get scouted for college programs... the more colleges establishing rugby programs and subsidizing athletes the more rugby will be played by youth.

As for the North America 4 competition yes the crowds were not good but thats because it was marketed very poorly... especially by rugby Canada... firstly the competition has no continuity right now but the plan is to establish it in specific regions now which should help crowds a bit.

I know in Canada they are basing the teams at the regional high performance centres in each region... which is basically the top club in the region. Team Atlantic is going to be based at Swilers RFC in St Johns and they will get good crowds if games are held there that is a fact.
[/b][/quote]
Well, I don't really know what union is doing over there. That is because I find it hard to find information about union in developing countries compared to league. I do know that league is doing well on the East Coast and participation numbers are rising. There are efforts to get it into the West Coast but I am happy if the effort is just put into one area. League has had two promotional games in Jacksonville over the last two years which have been pretty good. League also seems to have a great relationship with the NFL which is a good friend to have in the American sporting market. I still think league will appeal more to the average American. I wouldn't say it is more brutal then union but it is brutal in a evident way. In union you don't see a lot of the brutality. In Canada union is yonks ahead. I wouldn't dispute that.

The more people from North America playing rugby of either code the better IMO.

I wish both codes well as they try to compete in the sporting market over there.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Frntline @ Mar 30 2009, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i dont know about you mate but i cant find anything on League in the States. And the only thing I can find for American Rugby new in the states is http://www.americanrugbynews.com/ or usarugby.org[/b]
There seems to be a lot more discussion about it on league forums. There is a few sites for both of them if you can go looking.

David Niu has done an excellent job of putting RL on the US map, but in 20 yrs I dont believe we are any closer to a professional league in this country. And if you were to ask any of the guys who have been involved with the game over here ,if only for the last decade,they would agree.

It just goes from the regional comp, to the odd international , and every 4 years making a valiant attempt to qualify for the World Cup.

Hate to burst anyones bubble,but Rugby League in the US will never be anything close to the pro levels seen in Australia,NZ, and the UK.

It'd be nice but you need bums on seats...and over here we have never had enough bums on enough seats. In addition sponsors are sparse, and understandably reluctant to sink the amount of dollars necessary into a team that cannot demonstrate attendances that would justify the necessary investment.

And finally, there are not enough quality fields in the US to support a decent level of professional rugby league. Just take a look at the War at The Shore's Dealey Field. The only one that really came close was the Glen Mills football field.

As much as I would love to see it happen over here, Im afraid I dont think it ever will.
The AMNRL website has always looked good, so for someone looking at it from another country, it appears as though we have it going on over here. We dont.

And now with the split from the AMNRL of several teams, the chances are even slimmer. Having said that, if it was going to happen at all,my money is with the breakaway group.

Well I don't think the breakaway group are trying to create a professional competition but they do look far more organised. I was highly skeptical when I heard of plans for a professional rugby league competition in America and the fact that nothing has been started proves that it was all basically made up.

Latest posts