Rugby league star Ben Te'o signs for Leinster

bakakumon

Academy Player
Country Flag
Hong Kong
Club or Nation
Hong Kong
00095a83-642.jpg

Leinster have signed rugby league player Ben Te'o, who will join the province once his season with the South Sydney Rabbitohs ends.

The 27-year-old has played rugby union in the past and will provide options for coach Matt O'Connor in the centre.

Te'o, who has played with the West Tigers and the Brisbane Broncos and was selected in this year's State of Origin three game series with Queensland, will mark a career milestone this week when he lines out for his 150th National Rugby League (NRL) appearance against the Brisbane Broncos.

Speaking ahead of his arrival, Te'o said: “This is a great step for me personally and is just the type of challenge that I was looking for at this stage in my career.

"Leinster is one of the leading lights of Northern Hemisphere rugby and the opportunity to return to union was also an opportunity too good to pass.

"It was a difficult decision to leave the Souths and league in general but I have taken my time over this decision and I believe that what Matt O'Connor and the coaching team have cultivated in Leinster is something special and I look forward to getting stuck in.â€

With the NRL season still to reach its conclusion, Te'o will not be joining his new teammates until after his commitments with the Rabbitohs have been completed in September.

Leinster Coach O'Connor welcomed the signing and looked forward to his arrival, saying: “Ben is someone that we have taken an active interest in for some time now in particular as he made his intentions to change codes some time ago.

"I was home during the summer and met with him a number of times. He is keen and eager to make a lasting impression at Leinster and to develop into a world class rugby player.

"His presence will give us a different dynamic in the midfield. Once he arrives, we will have a player at our disposal for the whole season to augment what is already an exciting array of options for the year ahead.â€

The lack of recent rugby union experience will not be too big an obstacle either according to O'Connor.

"He is a dynamic and explosive ball carrier and that physicality will enhance our offering both in attack and in our defence. I think the Leinster supporters are going to like what they see.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/provincial/2014/0812/636593-league-star-teo-joins-leinster/

Rugby Union really seems to be buying up league players atm. Wonder if he is a project player...at 27 he'd be 30 before he could play for Ireland.

Rugby Union really seems to be buying up league players atm. Wonder if he is a project player...at 27 he'd be 30 before he could play for Ireland.

Not yet at least I'd say. Current one for Leinster is Quinn Roux who has a year left to be IQ though he is on loan for half the season to Connacht. I also really hope he isn't a project player.

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/ben-teo-leinster-centre-midfield-league-1616071-Aug2014/

Short enough article on how he may fit into the Leinster backline next year. Centre options are certainly far more open then they have been for a long long time and it seems we have a lot to sort through in the first few rounds in order to figure out who goes where. With D'Arcy, McFadden, Reid, Fitzgerald, Macken and now Te'o all looking to fit into two shirts before you even consider Madigin at 12 it all seems pretty uncertain. Its not a bad place to be in but its something that certainly needs to looked at. Te'o should add something a little different to what the rest do which is good but I worry about his ability to transfer the skills.

On a slightly related note, Te'o will be coming of a long hard season and as will our other big signing in Douglas, wouldn't be surprised if they burn out at some stage.

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/ben-teo-leinster-centre-midfield-league-1616071-Aug2014/

Short enough article on how he may fit into the Leinster backline next year. Centre options are certainly far more open then they have been for a long long time and it seems we have a lot to sort through in the first few rounds in order to figure out who goes where. With D'Arcy, McFadden, Reid, Fitzgerald, Macken and now Te'o all looking to fit into two shirts before you even consider Madigin at 12 it all seems pretty uncertain. Its not a bad place to be in but its something that certainly needs to looked at. Te'o should add something a little different to what the rest do which is good but I worry about his ability to transfer the skills.

On a slightly related note, Te'o will be coming of a long hard season and as will our other big signing in Douglas, wouldn't be surprised if they burn out at some stage.

Leinsters problem in my eyes won't be quality more can they keep the guys fit. Like most named there have a tendency to pick up ****les

Latest posts