• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RUGBY ONSLAUGHT - NFL or Rugby: settled

What I mean is they know the players now use the pads as weapons, basically because they protect the tacklers when the impact is made as much as the players who's being tackled. I thill suspect they wouldn't have the bottle to launch themselves around nearly as wrecklessly if the didn't have the padding on.

You are 100% correct Bullitt and I beleive the NFL is actually trying to adress this very problem as now they are fining players for hits using their helmet unfortunately the culture of making the highlight reel for delivering a massive hit has removed a lot of the more skilled and actually more effective tackling from the game, I have seen this kind of issue also in Ice Hockey as well where elbow pads basically became a form of weapon during hits.

You take away the helmets, the padding from NFL and see how "huge" the hits are, they'll play like Betty White for 6 hours, cause they'll be to scared to touch anyone else.

I've played both, and it's comparing apples to oranges. I prefer rugby. As a guy who is my size, I find it easier to play Offensive Tackle or Right Tackle, then I do playing Prop. It's a totally different ball game. Are most NFL line backers, stronger than S14/Aviva Premiership Props? Of course they are. Steroids have been a common problem in the NFL for 50 years, and the NFL players don't need to be able to last 40 minutes on the field at a time, they need to last 40 seconds. The biggest, fattest person can manage that. As for rugby, being a big guy myself, you play a high intensity match when the ball is in play 4-5 minutes at a time, and there are guys 15-20kgs lighter than you, that you have to beat to the break down, and guys who are even lighter than that, who you have to stop from getting past you, it's bloody tireing.

Who are harder hitters? Well, probably most NFL players, as they are padded up to high hevan, so they don't kill each other, and some people would die if they weren't padded up like they are. They hit using the sholder, and while it happens in League, it doesn't happen when the people hitting are 310lbs. The runners also have a lot to do with it, as you may notice that many receivers in the NFL often jump up high, to avoid low tackles. If any of them did that without paddings, that is certainly a broken neck.

It's very much a different type of toughness. Rugby requires constant work, so all players have to be fitter while working very hard. NFL players have to be extremely good at what every specific area of the game they play. They don't play for very long, and they usually will only be able to play in their specific position. I think it's like comparing a weight lifter who can dead lift 800lbs for one rep, against a weightlifter who can dead lift 550lbs for 5 reps.

I've played both, and it's comparing apples to oranges. I prefer rugby. As a guy who is my size, I find it easier to play Offensive Tackle or Right Tackle, then I do playing Prop. It's a totally different ball game. Are most NFL line backers, stronger than S14/Aviva Premiership Props? Of course they are. Steroids have been a common problem in the NFL for 50 years, and the NFL players don't need to be able to last 40 minutes on the field at a time, they need to last 40 seconds. The biggest, fattest person can manage that. As for rugby, being a big guy myself, you play a high intensity match when the ball is in play 4-5 minutes at a time, and there are guys 15-20kgs lighter than you, that you have to beat to the break down, and guys who are even lighter than that, who you have to stop from getting past you, it's bloody tireing.

Who are harder hitters? Well, probably most NFL players, as they are padded up to high hevan, so they don't kill each other, and some people would die if they weren't padded up like they are. They hit using the sholder, and while it happens in League, it doesn't happen when the people hitting are 310lbs. The runners also have a lot to do with it, as you may notice that many receivers in the NFL often jump up high, to avoid low tackles. If any of them did that without paddings, that is certainly a broken neck.

It's very much a different type of toughness. Rugby requires constant work, so all players have to be fitter while working very hard. NFL players have to be extremely good at what every specific area of the game they play. They don't play for very long, and they usually will only be able to play in their specific position. I think it's like comparing a weight lifter who can dead lift 800lbs for one rep, against a weightlifter who can dead lift 550lbs for 5 reps.

well said big man

It was said best earlier in this thread that these are two entirely different contests one featuring great all around athletes with endurance(especially in Rugby League),

You didn't just say Rugby League requires more endurance than Rugby Union did you? Or do you think league players are better all round athletes?

Where were you able to play gridiron in New Zealand?

There is a club in Johnsonville, and a club in Tawa, both of which I've played for. The one at Johnsonville trains at Helston Park, where our rugby club is, and I've played for the one in Tawa, because quite a few mates of mine from Onslow play there.

There is a club in Johnsonville, and a club in Tawa, both of which I've played for. The one at Johnsonville trains at Helston Park, where our rugby club is, and I've played for the one in Tawa, because quite a few mates of mine from Onslow play there.

Siiick. Are there many teams you guys play against?

Siiick. Are there many teams you guys play against?

I'm not exactly a regular team member, I played half a season for the junior team two years ago, and turn up every now and then. I think 4-5 of my rugby mates play for the NZ Jr Team, and take it very seriously. I played about 6 different teams, but I don't know how many in the league.

There's a ton more standing around in union though, with League you're pretty much constantly moving

And you just stay in your line, if you're not near the ball there is not much urgency require compared to Rugby where you have to commit yourself to all rucks, mauls and pretty much wherever the ball is

I play both codes, Im a flanker in union and lock in league... And for me, the endurance is needed when I play union..

Same, and I know when I play League I'm more dead after the 80

Different strokes for different folks I guess

True,

Hey you wouldn't happen to be a back in Union would you?... I've always said that the backs are lazy lol...

Last time I played I played lock :p
Though I'd usually play centre (having played flanker before)

Have to be much fitter to be a forward particularity back row, thats why I only got moved there when i got fit.

Latest posts