• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Training Balls

B

best_fullback

I am on the lookout for some some good training balls to use over summer. I want probably 3 minimum to train with my kicking and passing etc.

However what are the best balls to get?

Ive always used Gilbert balls such as the xt-400 or xt-500 so they seem pretty much ideal, though can cost a bit. Are there any balls out there which will be good, if not better than Gilbert balls? Preferably balls on the cheap side would be ideal as well.

Also are there any good sites which do multibuy deals on balls? Ive found these on prodirectrugby.com, though im wondering if they would be any good: Mitre training ball multibuy

Cheers for any advice

Some balls are utter crap to kick, they are weighted funny, Gilberts are best for kicking, but for passing anything goes.

It depends what you use for games. If your club can't afford Tru-Flight like Gilbert has, you are better to get a similar model to what the clubs has. I have 10 balls I have managed to buy over the last year, always waiting until they are on sale to get one. Now 3 are tru-flight and the other 7 are not. When I started to train myself in line-out throws I used only the tru-flight as they had better grip. When i got my first game action throwing line-out I air mailed every throw. Some 8 in a row over thrown until I was put back in as a lifter. The reason was that we dont use tru-flight in our games and the balls we use are like the XTs that they bloat in the middle if they are filled completly and I couldn't get the same grip as I had when I trained. So my advice is start with 1 ball which is the same grade as you use in comps and then add a few more over time. I looked at it as I would waste the same amount of money on one ball per months as I would have take aways and cokes so if I could cut back on the take away then i would reward myself with a ball. And then go all out on a few really nice gilberts just because I had never kicked till this year and at my own training sessions i can nail a 40m striaght goal with the Tru-Flight so its nice for the ego. Kooga makes some good lower priced training balls, but Gilbert is by far the best and if you look and the dollars and cents of it you will get a gilbert to go a few years where you will go through 2-3 cheaps ones in the same timeframe and at the end of the day it will cost you the same as a gilbert for those 2-3 balls.

Sorry one more tip. If you can get the replicas from the previous year as they usually go cheap as. I have about 3 Replicas that i got cheap because they where Super 14 and Team logo balls from the previous year. I actually found that they are better than any of the XTs I have and they were the same price or cheaper than the trainers. STAY AWAY from the memerobila balls they are thicker and will mess up any skils you are trying to train. They are thicker and stitched tighter to avoid air loss while they sit on the shelf.

Cheers for the tips Scrumit2,

My team usually uses the gilbert xt balls so i think i will just invest in them, i was just wondering, as i have never really used any other brand, if there were any out there which were just as good but for cheaper. Some sound advice though, i think i will just stick to Gilbert :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (best_fullback @ May 29 2009, 03:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

My team usually uses the gilbert xt balls so i think i will just invest in them, i was just wondering, as i have never really used any other brand, if there were any out there which were just as good but for cheaper. Some sound advice though, i think i will just stick to Gilbert :)[/b]

I think it's a great choice

Gilbert is genuinely brilliant ball

I also came in touch with Be Rug Be balls which also look normall

I also like some Adidas balls for passing but kickers say its a Sh***t for kicking

So Gilbert is the best I think

Gilbert's cheapest version of the Truflight variation (I think it's the Dimension?) is horrible for kicking, though fantastic for passing. The patented bladder technology tends to make the valve bloated and that throws the balance of the ball out.

Just my 2c though haha

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LeksoRugby @ Jun 26 2009, 09:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (best_fullback @ May 29 2009, 03:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My team usually uses the gilbert xt balls so i think i will just invest in them, i was just wondering, as i have never really used any other brand, if there were any out there which were just as good but for cheaper. Some sound advice though, i think i will just stick to Gilbert :)[/b]

I think it's a great choice

Gilbert is genuinely brilliant ball

I also came in touch with Be Rug Be balls which also look normall

I also like some Adidas balls for passing but kickers say its a Sh***t for kicking

So Gilbert is the best I think
[/b][/quote]

Is rugby ball becoming choice of ball of soccer ball in Georgia

Latest posts