• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rules on boots these days

harrrrryyy06

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
What are they? Am I allowed plastic blades? Am I allowed metal blades? I know studs are acceptable, I just want to know what the rules are these days as I am looking to buy a new pair, thanks Harry

Officially, plastic blades have to have rubber ends (If you look at the adidas predator fg ones then they've got blue tips which is rubber) -
As far as i know all metal blades are acceptable, i use rugby FG predators and football SG ones, and i've never had any problems with the studs - and the blades look (to my eyes) identicle to the rugby specific ones

Studs must be all metal, moulded must be rubber not plastic (but you probably already know this)

(moved this across to Laws/Equipment as well)

Last edited:
Yeah they should be fine, there's three or four people on my team with those exact boots (and there's quite a few pro players that use them, i know Chris Ashton/Ben Foden use them)

whats wrong with normal, proper studs rather than these blades, blades are used to shave not to score tries :lol:

Typical foward :p

I super glue knives to the end of my boots to kill any1 who dares ankle tap me. Is this allowed?

whats wrong with normal, proper studs rather than these blades, blades are used to shave not to score tries :lol:

Typical foward :p

It's not that! I just don't like wearing specifically rugby designed boots, plus I've had toe operation and I've tried these boots on and they were comfortable.

And how did you know I was a forward?! :p

It's not that! I just don't like wearing specifically rugby designed boots, plus I've had toe operation and I've tried these boots on and they were comfortable.

And how did you know I was a forward?! :p

I didn't. I meant that my statement about blades being fancy was 'cos I was a forward

Officially, plastic blades have to have rubber ends (If you look at the adidas predator fg ones then they've got blue tips which is rubber) -
As far as i know all metal blades are acceptable, i use rugby FG predators and football SG ones, and i've never had any problems with the studs - and the blades look (to my eyes) identicle to the rugby specific ones

Studs must be all metal, moulded must be rubber not plastic (but you probably already know this)

(moved this across to Laws/Equipment as well)

With studs Ive got Plastic tops and metal caps on them and had no problems.. What did you mean by moulded must be rubber not plastic? im gonna change em soon to all metal ones but still no ref has said anything in regards to the studs as long as your not missing any or they are sharp.

Moulded boots like these:
7065.jpg

The blue is rubber, and the clear part they're in is plastic.
However, i've never seen anyone called up on this/even checked for it. I think the majority of football boots blades are rugby legal these days anyway (if you look at a lot of wingers they all use football boots i.e Varndell/Ashton using Nike Mercurial ones, which don't have a rugby version like the Adidas Predators do)

Also, slightly o/t, but those new white/silver predators look way better than my white/yellow ones :p

Ah Ok i get you know, Ive got some Predator absolado X's etc so when you said studs i thaught you ment it in terms of the studs here -

6043.jpg

wouldnt be allowed as its mostly plastic. either way they'll be changing soon for me as ive said

Technically they're illegal, rugby studs need to be completely metal.
Cheap enough to change out though (couple of quid for a pack of them off of lovell rugby or somewhere similar)

ah right, not once has a referee said anything to me or others in the team that wear studs like it.

Latest posts