• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC 2023 Qualifying

Absolute rubbish from the TMO to make a bogus intervention to favour the US. Ref has been perfect and has to listen to his TMO but that denies Portugal a scrum 5. Horrible.

Portugal through with a 16-16 draw with a last minute penalty.

There are lots of reasons why I'd favour the USA to have qualified as I have no issue with their union or with MLR. But their failure to do so may ultimately pressure World Rugby to embrace inclusion rather than favour the same old Tier1, North American and PI buddies.

24 team World Cup for 2027 combined with sustained investment in Tier 2 nations please.

AJ is heartbroken. He's the only reason this team was able to make it this far. He seems committed to the team but man idk where we do we go from here.

Should be ashamed of ourselves. Absolutely ashamed
Both sides were really sub par and had almost no shape towards the end. Having 5 or 6 guys in the Eagles squad for this match who had never been capped before this month is truly bizarre and probably decisive.

So it comes to pass - France 2023 will be without any North American representation. All it came down to in the end was the PD from that Portugal 85 - 0 Kenya game (Kenya red card at 42' )

Just looking it up now, in 2007, the only other time Portugal have qualified, they got there by beating Uruguay 24 - 23. So again against an American team and by the narrowest of margins.
Portugal's precedent is:
Portugal's [2007] highlights included preventing Italy getting a bonus point, scoring a try against the All Blacks, and [an LBP vs Romania]. They also managed to score in all the four games
In RWC 2023, they'll play Wales, Georgia, Australia and then Fiji. I'd regard a similar performance as 2007 as a success

Last edited:
So it comes to pass - France 2023 will be without any North American representation. All it came down to in the end was the PD from that Portugal 85 - 0 Kenya game (Kenya red card at 42' )

Just looking it up now, in 2007, the only other time Portugal have qualified, they got there by beating Uruguay 24 - 23. So again against an American team and by the narrowest of margins.
Portugal's precedent is:

In RWC 2023, they'll play Wales, Georgia, Australia and then Fiji. I'd regard a similar performance as 2007 as a success
Portugal have been more inconsistent this year, but at their best they could easily get a try in each of these fixtures and a losing BP in one or two. Especially if anyone underestimates them and rotates their squad.

Well done Portugal. Glad they won but was that really a penalty at the end? Hard to tell from the live angle. Seems to me the tacklers release and #17 contests legally on his feet?

Well done Portugal. Glad they won but was that really a penalty at the end? Hard to tell from the live angle. Seems to me the tacklers release and #17 contests legally on his feet?
I don't really blame the ref for pinging him. Jack's knees were on the guys chest and it wasn't a great picture. It was a bit reckless to contest but he has only three tests and has been a pro for two years. He's a great guy from probably the best rugby education in the US. Just a shame it came down to that.

Latest posts