The Dorset Drinker
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Bath
buckonestowatch.jpg

Mamuka Gorgodze

Back rower and occasional second row Gorgodze is one of the increasing numbers of Georgian players plying their trade in France's Top 14 competition. Gorgodze, along with 3 other Georgian forwards, props Giorgi Jgente, Goderdzi Shivelidze and number 8 Giorgi Chkhaidze where members of the Montpellier Herault RC side who surprised many by making it to the Top 14 final at the Stade de France in June. They narrowly lost the final to Stade Toulosain 15-10 but Gorgodze played an important role in getting them to the Final scoring 3 tries in his 22 league appearances last season.

Gorgodze has signed a three year deal with Rugby Club Toulonnais and will line up alongside other "Galacticos" including Bakkies Botha and Mathieu Basteraud once his involvement in the in the World Cup has ended.

The 27 year old has featured in the number 7 shirt for Montpellier this season but with less competition for places in his National side than his club side I expect him to be Georgia's first choice number 8 come the 14th of September in Invercargill when they open their World Cup campaign against Scotland. As you would expect from a 6 feet 5 inch tall, 18 stone 8 lbs (117.9 kgs) Georgian forward Gorgodze is a very physical presence in defence and stops most ball carriers on the gain line before driving them back and putting his pack on the front foot. Gorgodze's most impressive attribute is his ball carrying though and he has a frightening turn of pace for such a giant human being. You Tube is littered with clips of him out pacing forwards, who aren't even as big as him and running over any back who is unlucky enough to be in his path.

The one area where Gorgodze is sometimes found wanting is keeping his cool, the number of clips on You Tube of him becoming "involved" with opposition players is nearly as numerous as the ones of him displaying his monstrous power. He received 4 yellow cards in last season's Top 14, more than any other Montpellier player.

While Georgia maybe 2000-1 shots to win the World Cup they have more than a reasonable chance of causing the odd upset and winning a few group matches. Their first game against Scotland should provide a tough challenge for a Scottish team who have chosen to rest some of their forwards since the end of the 6 Nations. Georgia will surely fancy their chances against near rivals Romania and in their final group match they take on Argentina in a game that could see the Pumas under a lot of pressure to win and secure qualification from the group. Gorgodze should be a key player for his National side as he has scored 18 tries in just 33 appearances for them so far and playing at number behind such a big, physical tight 5 should allow him to add that tally before September is over.

Blog by @buck_mitchell

I've seen clips of Gorgodze, he's a very good player. Can't understand why he'd want to go to Toulon however, other than money. They've already got plenty of players in those positions. Gorgodze and Botha in the same team will probably mean fights every other game too:p.

Pacific 4 Nations Players to watch come RWC (3 forwards 3 backs)
Samoa
Alesana Tuilagi, Kahn Fotuali'i, Seilala Mapasua, Taiasina Tuifua, Iosefa Tekori, Ofisa Treviranus
Tonga
Viliami Iongi, Taniela Moa, Vunga Lilo, Soane Tonga'uiha, Viliami Ma'afu, Paino Hehea
Fiji
Napolioni Nalaga, Albert Vulivuli, Gabriel Lovobalavu, Dominiko Waqaniborotu, Akepusi Qera, Sekonaia Kalou
Japan
Alisi Tupuailei, Kosuke Endo, James Arlidge, Ryu Holani, Luke Thompson, Michael Leitch

Gorgodze has signed a three year deal with Rugby Club Toulonnais and will line up alongside other "Galacticos" including Bakkies Botha and Mathieu Basteraud once his involvement in the in the World Cup has ended.

this is a poorly researched article, he pulled out his contract with Toulon in January (Tonga'uiha style), and is staying with Montpellier, and that was announced way back in January!

also you failed to mention any of the accolades or praise he has won from French press for his performances in the Top 14, such as being named in the Top 14 dream team by Midi Olympique in the top 5 players in the Top 14 this season by sports paper L'Equipe and was also named best foreigner of the season by the same paper

or specific performances such as his game in the Top 14 semi final (see link below)

http://www.lerugbynistere.fr/videos...-tamponne--caramelise--retourne--franchit.php

You also missed the fact he was honoured with being giving a knighthood of Georgian sport by the Georgian government last month and was the first Georgian rugby player to receive this award (see link below)

http://site.rugby.ge/DesktopDefault...wsid=2031&callerModID=7503&tabid=3019&lang=en

adding facts like the ones above backup and give more quality to an article rather than simply statements anybody can say about anybody such as "he's a big ball carrier"

You really are a pleasant individual aren't you Mr Duck. He didn't "pull out of his contract Tonga'uhia style" if he's broken his pre- contract agreement with Toulon to stay at Montpellier Herault RC then he's had to pay Mourad Boudjellal somewhere in the region of 500 000 Euros. I also forget to mention that he loves his mum very much and has a cat called "Tiddles" WTF has any of that other garbage got to do with why people should watch out for him at the Rugby World Cup ? I think you've totally missed the point of the blog, I want people to know that Georgia have got a very good player who's worth watching in the next few months, not someone who's gonna give them a lob on everytime they think about him.

Maybe you could send me a link to one of your blogs that's had 558 views so that I can write some utter cods wallop underneath it ?

You really are a pleasant individual aren't you Mr Duck. He didn't "pull out of his contract Tonga'uhia style" if he's broken his pre- contract agreement with Toulon to stay at Montpellier Herault RC then he's had to pay Mourad Boudjellal somewhere in the region of 500 000 Euros.

I offered constructive criticism and obviously you were not able to take it on board as advice for future articles maturely, you were immature and reacted angrily to a perfectly reasonable criticism

what is "utter cods wallop" is that the author of this article wrote that he joined Toulon which for a long time (since January) has been cancelled because Gorgodze pulled out, Soane Tonga'uiha did the same thing so why is that not pulling out Tonga'uiha style?

I also forget to mention that he loves his mum very much and has a cat called "Tiddles" WTF has any of that other garbage got to do with why people should watch out for him at the Rugby World Cup ? I think you've totally missed the point of the blog, I want people to know that Georgia have got a very good player who's worth watching in the next few months

the post I posted was not to do with his personal life, it was his considerable achievements and I cited a particularly massive performance by him, things you would have found out if you had been bothered to research when writing your blog

and the things I wrote would tell readers a lot better than your article that Georgia has a good player

basically your article lacks any references to any performances or other opinion on him which would back up your article rather than just saying "he's a good player"

Maybe you could send me a link to one of your blogs that's had 558 views so that I can write some utter cods wallop underneath it

I don't have a blog ... but if I did it would probably be the best in the world (or at least far better than yours)

if your looking for a good rugby blog to read and take notes from I recommend rugby dump which is a blog I enjoy and Argentina 2023 which is a blog that TRF member Melhor is the author of

If you honestly believe that Tonga'uihua was going to be paid around £443,026 a season by Saracens or roughly 11% of their salary cap then you should stick to Georgian rugby my friend (the highest estimates where it was nearer the £250,000 mark). If Tonga'uiha did have to pay his way out of his pre contract agreement he would have just moved to Saracens and actually won something last season.

How is "You also missed the fact he was honoured with being giving a knighthood of Georgian sport by the Georgian government last month and was the first Georgian rugby player to receive this award" not about his private life ?

Once again you have totally failed to grasp the concept of this blog. It's a blog & ergo is MY opinion of a rugby player, not a history essay so why should I provide evidence to back up MY opinion ?

Rugby dump is a web site and a forum full of links to and video clips, hardly a blog. If I submitted a list of YouTube clips you'd complain about my writing structure and lack of a narrative thread & if you think you're blog would be "the best in the world" why don't stick you're neck on the line and actually write one ? Or is just whining that somebody else's blog is crap FAR easier ? If you take exception to me responding to your criticism I suggest you seriously consider leaving any "constructive criticism" in future or you will be receiving some of you own, which by all accounts is "immature" and angry, by the way kudos on reaching levels or condescension rarely seen in this forum.

If you honestly believe that Tonga'uihua was going to be paid around £443,026 a season by Saracens or roughly 11% of their salary cap then you should stick to Georgian rugby my friend (the highest estimates where it was nearer the £250,000 mark). If Tonga'uiha did have to pay his way out of his pre contract agreement he would have just moved to Saracens and actually won something last season.

How is "You also missed the fact he was honoured with being giving a knighthood of Georgian sport by the Georgian government last month and was the first Georgian rugby player to receive this award" not about his private life ?

Once again you have totally failed to grasp the concept of this blog. It's a blog & ergo is MY opinion of a rugby player, not a history essay so why should I provide evidence to back up MY opinion ?

Rugby dump is a web site and a forum full of links to and video clips, hardly a blog. If I submitted a list of YouTube clips you'd complain about my writing structure and lack of a narrative thread & if you think you're blog would be "the best in the world" why don't stick you're neck on the line and actually write one ? Or is just whining that somebody else's blog is crap FAR easier ? If you take exception to me responding to your criticism I suggest you seriously consider leaving any "constructive criticism" in future or you will be receiving some of you own, which by all accounts is "immature" and angry, by the way kudos on reaching levels or condescension rarely seen in this forum.

What the hell are you talking about?

I'm not comparing any money involved, I'm saying they both pulled out of contracts, that's not my point, my point is you couldn't even be bothered to research or are not a knowledgeable enough rugby fan to know that he doesn't/will not play for Toulon.

The equivalent of what you wrote is:

Usain Bolt is a fast sprinter

I'm just saying it would be a better article if it was written more like: Usain Bolt is the fastest man in the world and of all time over 100 and 200 metres and holds the world records for both distances which he set in Berlin ...

a rugby example

Takudzwa Ngwenya is a fast winger

Takudzwa Ngwenya showed his blistering speed and caught the world's attention after scoring a remarkable try against South Africa in the 2007 World Cup, a dozen offers from high profile European teams soon followed

it adds to the point and refers to events that make the article better

and Gorgodze being given the honour of sports knight in Georgia is very much to do with his professional career, it shows he is among the finest sportsmen Georgia has ever produced and a player of great pride to Georgian rugby, so to compare that to as trivial as him having a cat is plain and utter nonsense

rugby writers are supposed to explain and justify their opinions not just say "he's good", that's what rugby writers are supposed to do

although I have no blog if you were a regular on this forum, you should know that I regularly write articles and give opinion, also if you want another example of a good blog read M Two One's recent blog on the Top 14 season preview.

also I am open to constructive criticism and suggestions to improve, but you won't even admit you under researched your article which is blatant considering the lack of information and factual errors, the article to be honest suggests to me you haven't even seen him play and just saw some Youtube clips

Duck, You're missing the point of the article. If Buck wanted to write an article of Gorgodze's career so far I'm sure he could have and done it very well like all his blogs on the Forum but he wasn't writing about his career so far he was writing about what to expect from Gorgodze at the World Cup. These require two completely different articles and you are getting mixed up.

Neither Tonga'uiha or Gorgodze pulled out of CONTRACTS, both signed PRE- CONTRACT AGREEMENTS which are not remotely like CONTRACTS. I suggest you brush up your legal knowledge before you start making wildly inaccurate statements like that. Tonga'uiha's PCM was ruled to not legally binding and as result he was allowed to resign with Saints, Gorgodze PCM was air tight so he had to buy himself out of it.

I don't care if he's the Prince of bloody Georgia, where he was born is only relevant to the team he will represent at the World Cup, that's like writing a blog about Gavin Henson and saying he's got 2 kids with Charlotte Church, that's not gonna mean he's a better rugby player or that he'll score more tries is it ? The fact he's been honoured by the Georgian government is completely irrelevant, being the most famous sportsman from Georgia is like being the most famous skiier from Ghana.

Precisely how many factual errors have you counted in my blog ? 1 ? If you don't like the way I write my blog don't read it, I don't post it on here to satisfy 1 person.

Someone made a Thread about Gorgodze and fight broke out :D Why am I not surprised

Mamuka Gorgodze.

That is an awesome name.

Also, I think the duck that is psychic makes a few fair points and was only offering constructive criticism.

You really are a pleasant individual aren't you Mr Duck. He didn't "pull out of his contract Tonga'uhia style" if he's broken his pre- contract agreement with Toulon to stay at Montpellier Herault RC then he's had to pay Mourad Boudjellal somewhere in the region of 500 000 Euros. ...
Thankyou

a right old battle ensued..plenty of facts & figures on the guy...i know a hell of alot more bout him now!

Latest posts