• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC TV coverage in the U.S.?

Oh they are money grubbers. If you had the exclusive rights to every single WC game would you not play the top matches ie All Blacks games, playoffs ect? Of course you would, the only reason not to is to force people into paying for the premium/pay per view to watch the games people really want to see. Sure it makes a lot of sense from a pure corporate making money scheme, but it screws over the consumer. Setanta as a station to a rugby viewer makes no sense after the world cup anyway. Why pay $180 a year when I can go to Media Zone and pay $100 for a better service and more live games. At first I thought Setanta was great but you know what I don't, not at the price they're selling at. As I said, last world cup in Canada we had every single game broadcasted live. I'm beyond disappointed right now.

[/b]
because mediazone doens't show NH games. It's worth it to me

<div class='quotemain'> Isnt Setanta an Irish Channel? meaning it will show gaelic aswell as rugby? [/b]
Yes, we get GAA on Setanta here in the US. We also get Aussie Rules.

Setanta are a bunch of greedy cocksuckers. I f***ing hate them. They have the rights to every single game, and not a bloody All Black game will be played live. Not a single Quarter. Not a single semi. Not the final. 17 lives games of the whole tournament and the rest is delayed. **** poor. **** poor. Last world cup I saw every game live. f*** you Setanta you money grubing son of a *****. [/b]
Are they the money grubbers, or are the original broadcasters the money grubbers? Setanta seem like a company that likes to give their consumers what they want...I've had several phone conversations with them. Broadcasting rights are expensive, and only get more expensive for big events like the RWC. I'm quite thankful to them, as last RWC, here in the US, we only got a few matches on a 3 day delay on FOX Sports World (the FSC).

[/b][/quote]

actually we had almost all games either live or delayed in 2003 - i taped almost every one

17 live games isn't that bad - if it wouldn't be for Setanta the f**knuts at dish or directv would be charging ppv 30 bucks a game - although they should really show the semis and the final live, hope I can find a pub with Setanta Premium once I move...

<div class='quotemain'>
Oh they are money grubbers. If you had the exclusive rights to every single WC game would you not play the top matches ie All Blacks games, playoffs ect? Of course you would, the only reason not to is to force people into paying for the premium/pay per view to watch the games people really want to see. Sure it makes a lot of sense from a pure corporate making money scheme, but it screws over the consumer. Setanta as a station to a rugby viewer makes no sense after the world cup anyway. Why pay $180 a year when I can go to Media Zone and pay $100 for a better service and more live games. At first I thought Setanta was great but you know what I don't, not at the price they're selling at. As I said, last world cup in Canada we had every single game broadcasted live. I'm beyond disappointed right now.

[/b]
because mediazone doens't show NH games. It's worth it to me

[/b][/quote]

Mediazone has the Heineken Cup. As for the RWC, Setanta will be charging $24.95/game for the "big" matches (England, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa matches and everything after the group stages)

That is a bloody rip-off. And if anyone in Canada is interested, Rogers Sportsnet will be showing Canada's group matches.

P.S. Canadians can thank the score Network for bringing setanta into our lives.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> Isnt Setanta an Irish Channel? meaning it will show gaelic aswell as rugby? [/b]
Yes, we get GAA on Setanta here in the US. We also get Aussie Rules.

Setanta are a bunch of greedy cocksuckers. I f***ing hate them. They have the rights to every single game, and not a bloody All Black game will be played live. Not a single Quarter. Not a single semi. Not the final. 17 lives games of the whole tournament and the rest is delayed. **** poor. **** poor. Last world cup I saw every game live. f*** you Setanta you money grubing son of a *****. [/b]
Are they the money grubbers, or are the original broadcasters the money grubbers? Setanta seem like a company that likes to give their consumers what they want...I've had several phone conversations with them. Broadcasting rights are expensive, and only get more expensive for big events like the RWC. I'm quite thankful to them, as last RWC, here in the US, we only got a few matches on a 3 day delay on FOX Sports World (the FSC).

[/b][/quote]

actually we had almost all games either live or delayed in 2003 - i taped almost every one

17 live games isn't that bad - if it wouldn't be for Setanta the f**knuts at dish or directv would be charging ppv 30 bucks a game - although they should really show the semis and the final live, hope I can find a pub with Setanta Premium once I move... [/b][/quote]
Where are you moving? The Dubliner in STL will have them fo'sho'.

I found out yesterday that I'm going to Vegas for a work trip and I was over the moon. Its Vegas baby!
Then I realised it will be during the quarter-final/semi-final stage of the trip.
Not so happy now :/

Setanta is a bit expensive as far a individual pay for channels go, but they are broadcasting all the RWC games some not live of course. But the 24.95 a match or whatever I think you are referring to the Setanta broadband service, b/c all the RWC games are included in the 14.95/mo service on Directv. Which is about as excellent as rugby gets in the US. They have the magners, currie cup, super 14, guinness as well as some highlight shows. But I would be willing to wager the reason it costs so much is the lack of interest in the channel. If more people were subscribers to the channel the cost would be spread among more people and probably bring the cost down. Of course ESPN could break into their competitive cup stacking championship and play some rugby once in awhile. Although they did play the US-Munster match and the college championship game on ESPNU recently (the coverage was pretty bad though). Anyway Setanta is definitely worth it if you are into rugby hardcore and live in the US and have Directv.

Setanta is a bit expensive as far a individual pay for channels go, but they are broadcasting all the RWC games some not live of course. But the 24.95 a match or whatever I think you are referring to the Setanta broadband service, b/c all the RWC games are included in the 14.95/mo service on Directv. Which is about as excellent as rugby gets in the US. They have the magners, currie cup, super 14, guinness as well as some highlight shows. But I would be willing to wager the reason it costs so much is the lack of interest in the channel. If more people were subscribers to the channel the cost would be spread among more people and probably bring the cost down. Of course ESPN could break into their competitive cup stacking championship and play some rugby once in awhile. Although they did play the US-Munster match and the college championship game on ESPNU recently (the coverage was pretty bad though). Anyway Setanta is definitely worth it if you are into rugby hardcore and live in the US and have Directv. [/b]

It's going to cost $30 for the whole tournament and you only get 17 games live and those don't include quarters, semis and final. Which if you want all of them will cost $200.

Latest posts