• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] Ireland vs Scotland (07/10/2023)

Ireland showed why the are no.1. Scotland ? Well, probably Finn Russell's worst game ? And the flyhalf is the general of the team.
Some really good tries in the game.

Grim reality is Scotland have peaked and it's not very likely a squad as good as this one is available again anytime soon.

I don't have strong feelings on Townsend - not convinced the players are much better than how we've performed under him. An elite coach might have got a bit more out of the team 2021-23 but never a realistic chance of us employing one.
I'm going to put my testes on the line here, and say:

Townsend will do far better over the next 4 years, when the toxic players have moved on, and the less instinctive talented players, but more amenable to coaching step in.

I'm a huge Townsend fan, having worked with him at Glasgow, and knowing the stunts of some of the Scottish superstars in dragging younger players out on the booze, and being pretty poor influences in general, I genuinely think if Townsend gets a squad that is truly his, and creates the culture he wants Scotlqnd will become a blwdi good side

Haley and Addison to lift the Webb Ellis

This is the same Ruaidhri O'Connor who said 6-8 weeks for Sheehan, never trust the Indo.

I'll wait until Monday/Tuesday when we get real news before panicking, although if we end up with Keith Earls starting a WC QF against the All Blacks in 2023 I may cry.

I think Gregor might as well go. Try something new. Quite apart from the results, he never seems to have got the psychology right in his Scotland sides. How many times have we from inside the camp "this group of lads feels different" and various other overconfident proclamations but why have they ever achieved? A few scalps against the "auld enemy"? Great. I'm possibly being a bit harsh but I don't care.

I'm going to put my testes on the line here, and say:

Townsend will do far better over the next 4 years, when the toxic players have moved on, and the less instinctive talented players, but more amenable to coaching step in.

I'm a huge Townsend fan, having worked with him at Glasgow, and knowing the stunts of some of the Scottish superstars in dragging younger players out on the booze, and being pretty poor influences in general, I genuinely think if Townsend gets a squad that is truly his, and creates the culture he wants Scotlqnd will become a blwdi good side
I've heard a couple of stories from my Scottish nephew in law about some of the crap Townsend has had to deal with, and how he deliberately carried the can in the face of a big public backlash for one player to protect him from what could have been a huge suspension. His account would confirm what you're saying about some poor discipline amongst some of the higher profile players.

I've heard a couple of stories from my Scottish nephew in law about some of the crap Townsend has had to deal with, and how he deliberately carried the can in the face of a big public backlash for one player to protect him from what could have been a huge suspension. His account would confirm what you're saying about some poor discipline amongst some of the higher profile players.
I believe I know the exact incident you are referring to lol

Sadly that's just one of many. I honestly believe Townsend has only resigned in the knowledge 2 or 3 players are leaving after the RWC and will no longer be a headache

Can you imagine how a soccer player would react if they were pushed over the hoardings like that? Schoeman was lucky Sheehan didn't embellish the event.

Ireland are a wonderfully coached team at the moment. I'm glad none of my opinions of Andy Farrell's appointment exist on this site. Let's just say some scepticism was voiced. And now it's NZ. This World Cup, we are much better and they are much weaker but they're still the bloody All Blacks. Despite all our improvement we could easily go out at the QF stage as usual because of this dreadful draw and have to endure the mockery of the soccer mob for another four years (not that the soccer team has done anything to crow about recently).

Last edited:
Ireland looked pretty impressive. I had the ABs as favourites, but I've got Ireland down for the win next week.

Ireland looked pretty impressive. I had the ABs as favourites, but I've got Ireland down for the win next week.
Why? Ireland are the number one side in the world on a close to record streak. ABs haven't had that air since 2015. Some people are looking way too far into the past.

70/30 Ireland to me. Only SA and France can really push them to evens.

Why? Ireland are the number one side in the world on a close to record streak. ABs haven't had that air since 2015. Some people are looking way too far into the past.

70/30 Ireland to me. Only SA and France can really push them to evens.
Oooh, I don't care for that kind of talk. Bad juju. It's like actors saying you know what.

Can you imagine how a soccer player would react if they were pushed over the hoardings like that? Schoeman was lucky Sheehan didn't embellish the event.

Ireland are a wonderfully coached team at the moment. I'm glad none of my opinions of Andy Farrell's appointment exist on this site. Let's just say some scepticism was voiced. And now it's NZ. This World Cup, we are much better and they are much weaker but they're still the bloody All Blacks. Despite all our improvement we could easily go out at the QF stage as usual because of this dreadful draw and have to endure the mockery of the soccer mob for another four years (not that the soccer team has done anything to crow about recently).
I'm so bored of hearing about the draw...

Dont crash out of the 2019 world cup in a whimper, and you wouldnt have to endure a bad draw. There was no luck involved lol

Also, if Ireland do go out in the quarter final, how does that rank as a failure?

What's the minimum standard for this Ireland, 1/4 final? Semi?

It's odd, they are number 1, and clearly favourites to reach the final now, but it feels weird knowing Ireland have to make history as a minimum. Standard.

I'm so bored of hearing about the draw...

Dont crash out of the 2019 world cup in a whimper, and you wouldnt have to endure a bad draw. There was no luck involved lol

Also, if Ireland do go out in the quarter final, how does that rank as a failure?

What's the minimum standard for this Ireland, 1/4 final? Semi?

It's odd, they are number 1, and clearly favourites to reach the final now, but it feels weird knowing Ireland have to make history as a minimum. Standard.
Yes, it ranks as a failure. Ireland would be confident against any team on the other side of the draw, two of who will be semi-finalists.

Latest posts