• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] Ireland vs Scotland (07/10/2023)

For the sake of my nerves I hope Ireland blitz it early and we keep it nice and according to script. So may the best team win in a very predictable manner.

Was saying this to my friend. If Ireland go 7 points up early in the game, Scotland need an effective 14 point swing (maintained). Think Ireland need to come out the blocks here.

Was saying this to my friend. If Ireland go 7 points up early in the game, Scotland need an effective 14 point swing (maintained). Think Ireland need to come out the blocks here.
Arguably the conclusion here is that Scotland need to come out the blocks fast!

It's clearly not the most likely outcome here, but can Scotland beat Ireland by a margin of 8 points? Absolutely they can. On a spectrum of surprising results, this would be relatively tame.

I'll be cheering for a high scoring game, Scotland to win by 20+ but both sides to score 4 tries.

ETA: Hang on, no, that'd mean Ireland go home, bugger, looks like SA are already confirmed in the QFs.
Given that, I'll be a little torn in my support - I like both teams, naturally I'd support the underdog, but then, Ireland have a (much) better chance of being the NH team to go deep into the tourney and keep the KO stages more interesting for me. Scotland are more British, but I myself am more Irish (too remote to count for anything).
Re: Finn Russell, as he's a Bath player this season - I want him coming to us happy and confident, on the other hand, it'd be nice to get him a couple of weeks earlier.

ETA2: For clarification, in the case of a tie between three or more Teams at the end of the pool phase, once the highest ranked Team has been determined following the above criteria, to determine the next higher ranked Team the process would repeat, starting at the first criterion.
So, back to my original wish then, Scotland to win by 20+ but both sides to score 4 tries.

Last edited:
On a spectrum of surprising results, this would be relatively tame.
I disagree, the last time Scotland beat Ireland in a full test match by that margin was 2001 (they did in 2007 v an Irish second string in a warm-up). Scotland haven't scored 8 points in the last two meetings between the sides. Ireland have only conceded 20 points once in our current win streak and failed to score 20 only three times in the same period.

Scotland have never beaten a team as good as we are right now. The bookies have Ireland winning the world cup as more likely than Scotland winning this game (not even going through).

It would be Scotland's biggest achievement since winning the 5 nations if they get out of this group.

Still super nervous despite the recent stats.

What do we reckon the fan split will be? Not sure we will see an Ireland travelling contingent like the SA game.

Arguably the conclusion here is that Scotland need to come out the blocks fast!
Exactly! The pressure lies with Scotland, not with Ireland. And being Scotland a somewhat counterattacking team (generalization, granted), well, i for one am curious about how they'll adjust to this.

They need an early lead or for Ireland to get a card or something. Something, anything that gives them an edge early and opens up cracks in Ireland's game (which LBH, they dont have many) that they could exploit. Easier said than done.
If they allow Ireland to do their thing and gain just a bit of momentum i don't see how Scotland could stop that.

It's clearly not the most likely outcome here, but can Scotland beat Ireland by a margin of 8 points? Absolutely they can. On a spectrum of surprising results, this would be relatively tame.
Absolutely they can? You made me check. It's actually worse than i thought.

1696251499353.png

It'd be quite a shocker. Possible? yes, sure, but it's not even remotely likely. Let's get strategic for a second. What are Scotland's winning conditions? Scotland needs forget about their style, go all in against a team that will be expecting that, throw everything but the sink, early, take serious chances and risks, get lucky with those and hope Ireland have a bad day. That's a lot of if's.

It's never ever a good idea to have your fate in someone else's hands. So, I expect South Africans will be very nervous about this game.

I disagree, the last time Scotland beat Ireland in a full test match by that margin was 2001 (they did in 2007 v an Irish second string in a warm-up). Scotland haven't scored 8 points in the last two meetings between the sides. Ireland have only conceded 20 points once in our current win streak and failed to score 20 only three times in the same period.

Scotland have never beaten a team as good as we are right now. The bookies have Ireland winning the world cup as more likely than Scotland winning this game (not even going through).

It would be Scotland's biggest achievement since winning the 5 nations if they get out of this group.

Fair, tame wasn't quite right. Equally, I do also think that we put a bit too much stock in past results. Scotland have been somewhere on the scale between garbage and horribly average for most or all of that time so it's unclear to me how relevant that history is. If we're talking history, then we can obviously talk about Irelands world cup record which I doubt I need to.

I mean to an extent this is arguing at the margins because we agree its not likely Scotland win; however, can Scotland beat Ireland by 8 points in a one off game in a world cup where players' careers will be defined by the outcome? Definitely!

N.B - anyone got the "get used to feeling arrogant clip!?" :D

I mean I think that would lead us to the actual breaking of World Rugby. SA would break away and establish a new competition and governing body.

Like the great schism in world chess, or the papal schism of the catholic church in the 14th century - pick your reference point.

Latest posts