• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] Wales vs Georgia (07/10/2023)

I'm going to ******* miss this due to having to attend my nephews birthday. Might have to see if I can get out of it somehow but I guess it's not a bad game to miss if I am going to miss one.

Wales: 15. Liam Williams, 14. Louis Rees Zammit, 13. George North, 12. Nick Tompkins, 11. Rio Dyer, 10. Gareth Anscombe, 9. Tomos Williams; 1. Gareth Thomas, 2. Dewi Lake (capt), 3. Tomas Francis, 4. Will Rowlands, 5. Dafydd Jenkins, 6. Aaron Wainwright, 7. Tommy Reffell, 8. Taulupe Faletau

Replacements: 16. Elliot Dee, 17. Nicky Smith, 18. Henry Thomas, 19. Christ Tshiunza, 20. Taine Basham, 21. Gareth Davies, 22. Sam Costelow, 23. Mason Grady

Surprised to see Wales going that strong. And announcing so early? I don't think any Georgian selection can have a greater than 10% chance against Anscombe and Liam.

Announcing early isnt out of the Blue for Gatland, hes done this previously, usually to bolster the large number.ber of changes, and put pressure on the opposition.

Probably not as effective as he would like re the opposition, but the 23 in the squad will probably enjoy not stressing today or tomorrow in training.

Surprised to see Wales going that strong. And announcing so early? I don't think any Georgian selection can have a greater than 10% chance against Anscombe and Liam.
I'm not surprised to see us go this strong at all. In fact I thought we might go even stronger but this is about right I'd say. Only thing I'm really worried about is Rowlands getting injured.

I'm not surprised to see us go this strong at all. In fact I thought we might go even stronger but this is about right I'd say. Only thing I'm really worried about is Rowlands getting injured.
The result is irrelevant for you, isn't it? I'd have given Anscombe and Liam the last 20mins to keep their eye in, using a 4-4 split to bring on the starting first choice centres at the same time. Especially with Anscombe given hiw injury prone he is.

Although I guess Gatland considers Anscombe as reserve 10 regardless of how he performs.

The result is irrelevant for you, isn't it? I'd have given Anscombe and Liam the last 20mins to keep their eye in, using a 4-4 split to bring on the starting first choice centres at the same time. Especially with Anscombe given hiw injury prone he is.

Although I guess Gatland considers Anscombe as reserve 10 regardless of how he performs.fiji

Fiji can still win the group technically, so Wales need to win, not only for the group, but for momentum and to keep confidence high.

Noone wants to go into a 14/ final off the back of a loss.

Also Anscombe is 100% 2nd choice, people raving about his performance v Aus were blinded by some basic elements he executed. He was poor v Aus, but was lucky Wales were so dominant.

His role in attack on first phase is simple, it's whenthe game breaks up and he has to make decisions it goes wrong.

On 3 occasions Wales playing under advantage played kicks to the corner, all 3 were awful kicks by Anscombe. There were 2 awful kicks out of hand defensively, and he was cumbersome when passing the ball, throwing 2 overhead balls luckily under little pressure.

I'll give him credit, it was a step up on Portugal, and enough to leapfrog Costelow into 2nd choice

Fiji can still win the group technically, so Wales need to win, not only for the group, but for momentum and to keep confidence high.

Noone wants to go into a 14/ final off the back of a loss.

Also Anscombe is 100% 2nd choice, people raving about his performance v Aus were blinded by some basic elements he executed. He was poor v Aus, but was lucky Wales were so dominant.

His role in attack on first phase is simple, it's whenthe game breaks up and he has to make decisions it goes wrong.

On 3 occasions Wales playing under advantage played kicks to the corner, all 3 were awful kicks by Anscombe. There were 2 awful kicks out of hand defensively, and he was cumbersome when passing the ball, throwing 2 overhead balls luckily under little pressure.

I'll give him credit, it was a step up on Portugal, and enough to leapfrog Costelow into 2nd choice
Yeah, I suppose with Wales needing a BP and topping the group meaning a slight chance of facing Japan. Plus, Wales didn't play this weekend so guys like Liam and North need a runout.

We can agree to disagree on Anscombe being 'poor' in his performance in equalling the Welsh all time individual points tally against Australia.

"Gareth Anscombe – 9
A remarkable performance. Perhaps his best ever in a Welsh shirt. Missed his first shot at goal but was then perfect until the very end. Landed a dropped goal, dictated the tempo and was unnervingly accurate when kicking out of hand or passing down the line. A truly sensational show"

I could be misremembering but I think Anscombe was becoming Gatland's number 1 before he injured himself a month or two out from RWC 2019.

Although I guess Gatland considers Anscombe as reserve 10 regardless of how he performs.
Not irrelevant but I'm not too worried about losing this one to be honest.

No need to risk Biggar. Makes no sense, as you say anscombe is back up 10. I stand by my opinion that he's very lucky to have been involved in the squad at all. I would've had Jarrod Evans over him every day of the week and Ioan Lloyd even though he's never played 10 at international level.

Yeah, I suppose with Wales needing a BP and topping the group meaning a slight chance of facing Japan. Plus, Wales didn't play this weekend so guys like Liam and North need a runout.

We can agree to disagree on Anscombe being 'poor' in his performance in equalling the Welsh all time individual points tally against Australia.

"Gareth Anscombe – 9
A remarkable performance. Perhaps his best ever in a Welsh shirt. Missed his first shot at goal but was then perfect until the very end. Landed a dropped goal, dictated the tempo and was unnervingly accurate when kicking out of hand or passing down the line. A truly sensational show"

I could be misremembering but I think Anscombe was becoming Gatland's number 1 before he injured himself a month or two out from RWC 2019.

You're right, Gatland loves him and has tried to force him into the 10 Jersey making Biggar fight for his place.

Regarding that performance score lol, missing the first goal, then being perfect before the next miss is 100% of kickers lol. He missed 2 shots at goal, as I said hahaha

He also kicked dead twice under penalty advantage, and too shallow a third. That's 3 errors overlooked because of the scoreline.

His drop goal was also a bad decision, at 32 - 6 up, with 15 mins to go we should be chasing a TBP, not turning a 16 point lead into a 19 point lead ffs, Aus needed to score 3 times before the DG and needed to score 3 times after it, theres little tactical advantage to being that conservative.

I would argue that the 5/6 kicking errors, and the bad decisions ball in hand he cost Wales the TBP. In a tighter game Anscombe may well cost us the game.

But as I said, he did show improvement, hes displaced Costelow thank the lord, and he is shaking off some rust. Hopefully he can improve again this weekend

Not irrelevant but I'm not too worried about losing this one to be honest.

No need to risk Biggar. Makes no sense, as you say anscombe is back up 10. I stand by my opinion that he's very lucky to have been involved in the squad at all. I would've had Jarrod Evans over him every day of the week and Ioan Lloyd even though he's never played 10 at international level.
And Callum sheedy, and Rhys Patchell, bring Preistland out of retirement, convert Halfpenny...

Maybe even Ben Thomas, Sam Davies or Angus o brien...

Hell my nan has as much of a shout as Anscombe had a travelling lol he must have videos of Gatland in some precarious situations to be selected over and over hahaha

And Callum sheedy, and Rhys Patchell, bring Preistland out of retirement, convert Halfpenny...

Maybe even Ben Thomas, Sam Davies or Angus o brien...

Hell my nan has as much of a shout as Anscombe had a travelling lol he must have videos of Gatland in some precarious situations to be selected over and over hahaha
Ha ha. Not for me and I'm happy he did well against Australia. I think he did better than you give him credit for but I agree with you that his performance has been overblown.

He didn't say it was overblown, he said it was "poor". Haha indeed. :p
Because it was poor lol.

It was certainly substandard in comparison to Biggar, and in comparison to those around him.

I'm not a huge fan of Tompkins, he turns into a headless chicken in defence and attack, and makes those around him panic, however he was very disciplined and gave a great account of himself. He was also a good ball carrier, but he seems to be rounding out as a player now. He was probably our best back, followed by North, Davies and Adam's. Rees samit and William's didnt do much wrong and were ok, but Anscombe was below all the back line IMO.

As I've said, it was a marked improvement on his p*** poor performance against Portugal, and maybe the rust is being shaken off, but as I said, 5/6 pretty hefty errors, poor ball in hand, and indecision will lose a tight quarter final!

I also understand that butchered cross field kicks under penalty advantage dont seem so important at 20 points up, but you really have make those things stick at the highest level which we are certainly not!

With the greatest of respect, walesonline, planet rugby and ruck journalists are not my go to for game knowledge lol.

But let's use your stats in another way, Anscombe kicked 6/8 kicks at goal. That's 75% rate, not world beating by any stretch.

He kicked out of hand in attacking situations 6 times, 1 leading to Wales retaining possession Tompkins try)

He decided to kick a drop goal late on at 32 - 6, in a game Wales were dominating and ignored the idea that we needed a TBP (which we did not get btw)

Anscombe threw at least 4 poor passes, 1 of which butchered a try (Liam William's out wide had to slide on to a ball falling short), Anscombe also threw William's a murder ball and got him crushed by Kerevi and co if I remember correctly. William's was running a dummy line into traffic.

These are just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are more examples.

But to use the journalists ratings, Gereth Thomas a 6?!?!?! He had Slipper on toast from the 1st minute, he over attacked Slipper in the first scrum, and was looking at the ref for a penalty when Slipper very cannily drove over his arching body. The 2nd scrum was an awful ref decision as Thomas won that clean. For the rest of the game Thomas dominated Slipper, to the point he was taken off at half time, and his replacement was penalised 3 times in the following scrums (I believe) , against Thomas. Thomas was at his very best, and was at least an 8, superb in every aspect.

With the greatest of respect, walesonline, planet rugby and ruck journalists are not my go to for game knowledge lol.

But let's use your stats in another way, Anscombe kicked 6/8 kicks at goal. That's 75% rate, not world beating by any stretch.

He kicked out of hand in attacking situations 6 times, 1 leading to Wales retaining possession Tompkins try)

He decided to kick a drop goal late on at 32 - 6, in a game Wales were dominating and ignored the idea that we needed a TBP (which we did not get btw)

Anscombe threw at least 4 poor passes, 1 of which butchered a try (Liam William's out wide had to slide on to a ball falling short), Anscombe also threw William's a murder ball and got him crushed by Kerevi and co if I remember correctly. William's was running a dummy line into traffic.

These are just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are more examples.

But to use the journalists ratings, Gereth Thomas a 6?!?!?! He had Slipper on toast from the 1st minute, he over attacked Slipper in the first scrum, and was looking at the ref for a penalty when Slipper very cannily drove over his arching body. The 2nd scrum was an awful ref decision as Thomas won that clean. For the rest of the game Thomas dominated Slipper, to the point he was taken off at half time, and his replacement was penalised 3 times in the following scrums (I believe) , against Thomas. Thomas was at his very best, and was at least an 8, superb in every aspect.
Well, why not post your go to source and their player rating for Anscombe?

Latest posts