• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] England vs Samoa (07/10/2023)

I've said it before, there is a real possibility that 4 European teams meet in the semis...

But there is as much of a possibility that England and Wales are the only European teams in the semis...

What a mind melt that is!!!

4 from 4

What are you complaining about?!?!
You've already implied the only thing you go by is outcome of the game and are not really interested in the overall scoreline or performance so it seems to be a little pointless to discuss with you why England fans may feel 4 wins in manners less than appealing that will no where near get a win in the latter stages will not be enough and generally don't have a positive outlook on Englands chances in this comp.

You've already implied the only thing you go by is outcome of the game and are not really interested in the overall scoreline or performance so it seems to be a little pointless to discuss with you why England fans may feel 4 wins in manners less than appealing that will no where near get a win in the latter stages will not be enough and generally don't have a positive outlook on Englands chances in this comp.
I mean I get performance, but after the Fiji game in the warm ups would you, or would you have not bitten the arm off someone suffering you not only 4 wins from 4, but a quarter against Fiji?

We both know you would have, now appreciate that!

Actually, I don't know how I feel TBH.

4/4 and a QF with (most likely) Fiji sounds good, but the manner in which we got there suggests it'll be as far as we go unless we can improve massively in the next week.

There's definitely a school of thought where crashing and burning might have been preferred in terms of creating an unequivocal need for change and probably forcing some bolder decisions.

As it is, qualifying for the QFs will paper over a lot of cracks unless Borthwick is brave enough to make the kind of radical changes we really need.

I'll always get behind the team and ultimately I'm probably in the camp of 'let's see what happens', but it will definitely take more than getting the job done in the pool stage for me to be 'happy'.

I mean I get performance, but after the Fiji game in the warm ups would you, or would you have not bitten the arm off someone suffering you not only 4 wins from 4, but a quarter against Fiji?

Excellent point. To quote a former US football team owner, perhaps not well known in this forum population:

"Just win, baby". - Al Davis

Excellent point. To quote a former US football team owner, perhaps not well known in this forum population:

"Just win, baby". - Al Davis
That's great if you like Wales of old getting to semi finals and a few grand slams. Where you finishing in the bottom half of the six nations and loosing to tier 2 teams for the first time in your entire history.

If we just beat anyone who is ranked above us it's something to applaud. If you just beating sides ranked below it's something to worry about.

But hey we look like dogshit and aren't competing for top honours I guess that is good enough for some people on here as we can just beat a nation with vastly less resources than ourselves.

That's great if you like Wales of old getting to semi finals and a few grand slams. Where you finishing in the bottom half of the six nations and loosing to tier 2 teams for the first time in your entire history.

If we just beat anyone who is ranked above us it's something to applaud. If you just beating sides ranked below it's something to worry about.

But hey we look like dogshit and aren't competing for top honours I guess that is good enough for some people on here as we can just beat a nation with vastly less resources than ourselves.
I mean I see that as a RWC semi final lol, something England have never lost

Take it, enjoy it, and see where it leads

4 from 4

What are you complaining about?!?!
4 from 4 when 3 of those teams we have NEVER lost to and the 1 we have, we have historically beaten 4 times for every time we have lost... Nearly getting our first ever loss against Samoa to follow on from our first ever loss against to Fiji and you wonder what's wrong? Jesus Chris do you look at nothing except the result? Our 4 from 4 is going to count for nothing in the quarters because we are playing like ****.

England under EJ in the final year were setting some worst ever records for England. Borthwick has not set a bunch more. England in the last 2 years have broken something like 6 worst ever records. Can you point to a single side in history that is consistently breaking worst ever records and performing well!?

South Africa are 3 from 4, do you really want to claim they are in a worse position than us?

Last edited:

No argument there either. I've followed England Rugby for a long time, and The last game is as poor as they've played in a while. They might beat Fiji but beyond that? Need to get better, and lucky.

4 from 4 when 3 of those teams we have NEVER lost to and the 1 we have, we have historically beaten 4 times for every time we have lost... Nearly getting our first ever loss against Samoa to follow on from our first ever loss against to Fiji and you wonder what's wrong? Jesus Chris do you look at nothing except the result? Our 4 from 4 is going to count for nothing in the quarters because we are playing like ****.

England under EJ in the final year were setting some worst ever records for England. Borthwick has not set a bunch more. England in the last 2 years have broken something like 6 worst ever records. Can you point to a single side in history that is consistently breaking worst ever records and performing well!?

South Africa are 3 from 4, do you really want to claim they are in a worse position than us?

Ireland beat New Zealand 100 points to 10. Everyone is stunned and can't believe the score is that high except dirty harry who says weren't Ireland supposed to beat New Zealand anyway.....

Weakest group and if we could have hand picked a QF opponent it would have been Fiji (presumably and as good as they are we should still expect to beat them >90 times out of 100 - not meant to sound arrogant, but resources, structure, player numbers etc).

Nothing short of a highly competitive loss in a semi to one of the big boys will persuade me that this campaign has been remotely successful. And if that sounds harsh, blame the ridiculous draw. Just getting to a semi in itself won't really be a sign of progress.

The worst thing about this WC is Fiji robbing us of the chance to kick Aus out

Not really I expected a test against Arg in the group but the wrest without being harsh should have been pretty simple, I make no apologise for wanting more from my national team, if it was a case we were playing sensible tactics, playing the strongest players available etc I wouldn't mind we're not, we have been dog **** for far to long relying on players past their best without even putting pressure on them to improve to retain their place.

Weakest group and if we could have hand picked a QF opponent it would have been Fiji (presumably and as good as they are we should still expect to beat them >90 times out of 100 - not meant to sound arrogant, but resources, structure, player numbers etc).

Nothing short of a highly competitive loss in a semi to one of the big boys will persuade me that this campaign has been remotely successful. And if that sounds harsh, blame the ridiculous draw. Just getting to a semi in itself won't really be a sign of progress.
But what can a semi set up?

Look at Wales in 2011, had a run to the semis out of nowhere then bang, 2 6N championships 2012 and 2013

Clive giving some pearls.I can't see Mercer coming back in, I reckon whoever does won't make the 23 anyhow for next Sunday. But who knows as there's a few starter who weren't in the original squad. I didn't think Billy Vunipola was too bad yesterday but for his impetulance on and then when he got took off the field.

Lawes had a rare off game yesterday. As I understand it he hasn't started or played much at lock for Northampton, he's she'd some weight as a result.

The English pack haven't dominated any other minus Chile which is a worry.

Steward has been poor, he's been done defensively evey time he's played in the warm ups and the pool games on the turn. Shouldn't really be tinkering with the line up going into a quarter final but I suppose that's what happens when you make someone your cpatian who's been banned and feel like you need to get into the side come hell or high water.

But what can a semi set up?

Look at Wales in 2011, had a run to the semis out of nowhere then bang, 2 6N championships 2012 and 2013
could you imagine the Aussies or any other nation really complaining that there side of the draw was too easy…we English do like a moan 😂🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Finishing 3rd this World Cup!

Nice!

Quite the achievement as we were not supposed to get out of the group.....
Not sure who was saying we weren't supposed to get out our group...the prediction was always a 1st or 2nd place. Nobody legitimately expected us to lose to Japan/Samoa/Chile and even Argentina were a push. Just there was chance it might happen.

Latest posts