• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] Wales vs Fiji (10/09/2023)

Dan was hyped for the match I get it. It will be his last WC . But I wasn't keen on him berating North if I'm honest I dont mind him berating junior players but not a senior player like North who for the most part is as senior as Dan is in that squad . Keep it for the dressing room to tell a senior
Surely it's the precise other way around.
North's mistake should not have come from a senior player, and a senior player should be mentally strong enough to cope with a telling off.
A junior player who is still finding their feet, especially a debutant, could have the confidence knocked out of them by a public dressing down, and you risk them never really recovering. It's also more "acceptable" for a junior to get carried away with themselves and make a tactical mistake like that.

Last edited:
Surely it's the precise other way around.
North's mistake should not have come from a senior player, and a senior player should be mentally strong enough to cope with a telling off.
A junior player who is still finding their feet, especially a debutant, could have the confidence knocked out of them by a public dressing down, and you risk them never really recovering. It's also more "acceptable" for a junior to get carried away with themselves and make a tactical mistake like that.
This situation I found laughable.

The only thing I can think of is that North called that the break was on out wide, which it was, but Liam William's being dragged under his own post but managing to beat 2 defenders is the crazy decision, not the call.

That verbal was certainly not intended for North, William's made the crazy decision, Tompkins made the error of cutting in then offloading blindly to North. North made no decision in that play and just backed the 2 players inside him. Who knows what North would have done had he not knocked it on.

Biggars words must have been meant for William's, and to a lesser degree Tompkins, but William's would not have accepted that lightly, Biggar seems to have become angry and directed it at the laid back North who would have shrugged it off.

Ultimately Biggar was right, but he was too amped and expressed himself poorly, he wouldnt be the first leader to do so, and he wont be the last

Apparently someone asked AWJ what it was like to play with Biggar and he said "he was a pleasure to play with sometimes".
Pretty sure Biggar wouldn't have directed his anger at AWJ so it was likely much easier for him.

Pretty sure Biggar wouldn't have directed his anger at AWJ so it was likely much easier for him.
This is AWJ saying Biggar is a pain in the arse on the pitch most of the time. But yeah, no way Biggar talked to AWJ liked that. Actually, I wouldn't rule it out but AWJ never made any mistakes so never happened.

Casual fans don't understand the sport at all. Honestly, half the time I don't know what the **** is going on and I've watched it my whole life and played it.

Rugby isn't exactly... accessible.
Was just thinking the same thing. I played flanker for 12 years from college through med school and part of residency. With several tours to England, Ireland, and France against some fine opponents. Since a few years ago when I got new cable access to rugby matches I've enjoyed catching up on TV.

I still can't figure out what is going on with many of the penalties in the scrum. Or exactly when it's okay to pick up the ball on the breakdowns. Doesn't always seem to be when the player is first there and still on his feet. Offsides calls seem inconsistent too.

Plus, what's with these guys pickup up others in the line outs? And when did a try become 5 points?! 😀😀😀

Thx. Enjoying this forum and especially the World Cup.

Sounds like a well balanced and reasonable response.

Imagine a fairly new poster coming here and typing similar. 😆
I'm brand new here, but if I could see that much passion from my wife for any sport (other than f***ing pickleball), I'd try to bottle it and take to the bedroom.

15 Liam Williams (Kubota Spears – 85 caps)
14 Louis Rees Zammit (Gloucester Rugby – 27 caps)*
13 George North (Ospreys – 114 caps)
12 Nick Tompkins (Saracens – 28 caps)*
11 Josh Adams (Cardiff Rugby – 50 caps)
10 Dan Biggar (RC Toulonnais – 109 caps)
9 Gareth Davies (Scarlets – 69 caps);
1 Gareth Thomas (Ospreys – 22 caps)*
2 Ryan Elias (Scarlets – 34 caps)
3 Tomas Francis (Provence Rugby – 72 caps)
4 Will Rowlands (Racing 92 – 25 caps)*
5 Adam Beard (Ospreys – 47 caps)
6 Aaron Wainwright (Dragons – 39 caps)
7 Jac Morgan (Ospreys – 11 caps) captain*
8 Taulupe Faletau (Cardiff Rugby – 100 caps)

Replacements
16 Elliot Dee (Dragons – 43 caps)
17 Corey Domachowski ( Cardiff Rugby – 2 caps)*
18 Dillon Lewis (Harlequins – 51 caps)
19 Dafydd Jenkins (Exeter Chiefs – 7 caps)*
20 Tommy Reffell (Leicester Tigers – 10 caps)*
21 Tomos Williams (Cardiff Rugby – 48 caps)
22 Sam Costelow (Scarlets – 4 caps)*
23 Rio Dyer (Dragons – 9 caps)*

*player appearing in first Rugby World Cup
How unusual is it that a player in his first WC with the fewest caps on the starting XV is the captain?

How unusual is it that a player in his first WC with the fewest caps on the starting XV is the captain?
Dunno, but...

IIRC Will Carling was captain from his 8th (ish) match for England - didn't end too badly for him

Fiji is actually walking on thin ice after losing Muntz, right now they using Teti Tela who is unfavorable among Fiji rugby fans as his 33 years old and has been an disappointing season in this years super rugby pacific in his kicking and defensive game. Right now they've got Kuruvoli as an option but his more an halfback, but they've brought in former 7s Olympian, Filimoni Botitu, who plays for Castres and will provide cover from the bench. But watch out for the Fijian Drua new signing, Isaiah Ravula, the nephew of Richie Mounga, he was outstanding at flyhalf for the Fiji under 20 this year at the under 20s World Cup.

Fiji is actually walking on thin ice after losing Muntz, right now they using Teti Tela who is unfavorable among Fiji rugby fans as his 33 years old and has been an disappointing season in this years super rugby pacific in his kicking and defensive game. Right now they've got Kuruvoli as an option but his more an halfback, but they've brought in former 7s Olympian, Filimoni Botitu, who plays for Castres and will provide cover from the bench. But watch out for the Fijian Drua new signing, Isaiah Ravula, the nephew of Richie Mounga, he was outstanding at flyhalf for the Fiji under 20 this year at the under 20s World Cup.
Ravula is certainly a talent isnt he!!!

Hes got some areas to work on, but has a decent boot, and seems to have an analytic brain.

Is he playing for the Drua now? Wasnt he at one of the Kiwi clubs academy?

Ravula is certainly a talent isnt he!!!

Hes got some areas to work on, but has a decent boot, and seems to have an analytic brain.

Is he playing for the Drua now? Wasnt he at one of the Kiwi clubs academy?
Ravula just got signed for the Super Rugby Pacific 2023-24 season, this is his first ever aft been part of the hurricanes academy. Moana Pacifika and the Hurricanes were really chasing him strong, with the crusaders and some Australia super rugby teams behin, but Drua got him as an Fijian agent had discovered him while playing in high school and convinced him to play for Fiji under 20s. Rest is history.

Some kiwis say Ravula is better than their under 20s flyhalf, his got that eye for the gap and a canning cheap kicks. His right boot will only get better and will definitely be an world class goal kicker

Ravula just got signed for the Super Rugby Pacific 2023-24 season, this is his first ever aft been part of the hurricanes academy. Moana Pacifika and the Hurricanes were really chasing him strong, with the crusaders and some Australia super rugby teams behin, but Drua got him as an Fijian agent had discovered him while playing in high school and convinced him to play for Fiji under 20s. Rest is history.

Some kiwis say Ravula is better than their under 20s flyhalf, his got that eye for the gap and a canning cheap kicks. His right boot will only get better and will definitely be an world class goal kicker
I'm sure I remembered a commentator talking about a battle from a kiwi academy to keep him.

Cheers for the info