• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] South Africa vs Scotland (10/09/2023)

Almost sad we haven't named our team yet. I've gotten used to the early announcements.

I'm expecting pretty much a full strength side but am unsure of what that would look like precisely. We might not have the best first XV but our drop off from 1st to 2nd choice is negligible in most positions.

Sounds like it's De Allende and Kriel, with Moodie taking Mapimpis place, and Kolbe on the other wing, via the rugby grapevine

I don't expect any major surprises in the Scotland selection, although I hope Horne gets a start at 9 he looked very reliable V Georgia and White wasn't quite on the pace. The backs are very settled, Kinghorn at 15.

Zander back in the front row will be a boost for us with Schoey, probably Turner at 2, Gilchrist, Gray in behind, Ritchie and Darge on the flanks and I would go Dempsey at 8.

If scotland can show up from minute 1 and find a way to play their game, I'm hoping for a good showing. The boks will try and bulldoze us but good kicking and lineouts have to be used well, the backs are capable of scoring.

I must say, as a Springbok fan - we have grown some serious respect for you as the Scottish in terms of rugby. I feel where you might fall short is when our rush defense tries to test your backline's skillset - especially if they don't manage to get front-foot ball. That being said, if Finn Russell can make a few good (and varying) decisions (good angles and corner kicks, cross-kicks, grubbers) early on so that you become unpredictable, followed by consistent quick+accurate hands through the backline, then you guys will put us under serious pressure. I've personally loved the Scottish since I stayed there for 2 weeks in 2017 - your people seem to be so friendly and fun. Let's hope for a great game and may the best team win. Go bokke!

I think that he is guaranteed a bench spot. He offers something different to Finn in the event that they need to change the game.
Yes he is the only other proper 10 on tour and offers a strong kicking alternative to Finn, I would be concerned if he isn't on the bench.

For those of us in the United States, the Rugby World Cup can be seen live on Peacock and later on CNBC.

Go Scotland. 1693931801817.png

Last edited:
I must say, as a Springbok fan - we have grown some serious respect for you as the Scottish in terms of rugby. I feel where you might fall short is when our rush defense tries to test your backline's skillset - especially if they don't manage to get front-foot ball. That being said, if Finn Russell can make a few good (and varying) decisions (good angles and corner kicks, cross-kicks, grubbers) early on so that you become unpredictable, followed by consistent quick+accurate hands through the backline, then you guys will put us under serious pressure. I've personally loved the Scottish since I stayed there for 2 weeks in 2017 - your people seem to be so friendly and fun. Let's hope for a great game and may the best team win. Go bokke!
I'm not sure that's where Scotland will come up short, if anything they have a backline almost tailor made to counter the rush defense with Russell able to vary his play exceptionally well with his passing game, short kicking game and cross field kicks. Tuipulotu at 12 also has a very rounded skillset with the ability to place delicate grubbers in behind when needed. And then Scotland also have Kinghorn at 15, a 10 by trade, so he can scan from deep and slot in at first reciever when needed.

SA need to be careful of their usual hard 'umbarella' rush defense, where the wingers lead the charge and push in to pressure the midfield because Finn especially is a master at either floating pinpoint passes over the head of any winger caught too narrow, or using the boot to do the same.

If SA are going to get the clear upper hand anywhere it'll be in the tight exchanges up front, not because Scotland ate particularly weak up front, but due to SA's exceptional physicality and depth of the bench across the pack.

This could be another kracking first round matchup if Scotland can withstand the power coming their way.

Big game. Not the end of the world for either team if they lose though. Scotland have a very poor record against us. Maybe we have changes in outlook once we see all the games before this one lol. You just never know at a WC now.

Last edited:
If Scotland wins it will be with 100+ points scored between the sides. I think South Africa will run through Scotland and dominate the set piece. I think Scotland can win this game but they will need to play with the ball for almost the entire game.

I don't expect any major surprises in the Scotland selection, although I hope Horne gets a start at 9 he looked very reliable V Georgia and White wasn't quite on the pace. The backs are very settled, Kinghorn at 15.

Zander back in the front row will be a boost for us with Schoey, probably Turner at 2, Gilchrist, Gray in behind, Ritchie and Darge on the flanks and I would go Dempsey at 8.

If scotland can show up from minute 1 and find a way to play their game, I'm hoping for a good showing. The boks will try and bulldoze us but good kicking and lineouts have to be used well, the backs are capable of scoring.
Is Hamish Watson injured?

It's difficult to try and put a number on it. I've never seen Scotland as too much of a threat though I have respect for their URC sides in that context. We just don't play them in a proper test enough.

I do understand that they are in form but at the same time I feel like we are as well. I almost want to say I give us a 2 score head start but in saying that I want to give it a wider than usual margin because we can inflate a win now seemingly and at the same time Scotland could get a score ot two without any right to. But I'll just stick to my gut and say SA by 8 if only because my nerves wouldn't be able to keep up otherwise.

But I'll revisit when the teams are announced. I am really hoping for a few specific names in specific places again as I want to see them against a team with the ability to launch a great wide game with half an eye on NZ and France in the QF I admit. But I have confidence that the players themselves aren't looking too far ahead otherwise this pool could get really interesting from the off.

Last edited:
It's great that Scotland are looking competitive again, but it's hard to see beyond a fairly routine win for the Boks.

If Scotland wins it will be with 100+ points scored between the sides. I think South Africa will run through Scotland and dominate the set piece. I think Scotland can win this game but they will need to play with the ball for almost the entire game.
I disagree, Springboks are happy to play without the ball, statistically they win the games they have less possession. We trust our defence above all else, if they try and play then they need to make damn sure they can match us at the breakdowns and collisions. We are known to kick it to a team and say here have the ball, try and get through us, dont make mistakes in your half.

I disagree, Springboks are happy to play without the ball, statistically they win the games they have less possession. We trust our defence above all else, if they try and play then they need to make damn sure they can match us at the breakdowns and collisions. We are known to kick it to a team and say here have the ball, try and get through us, dont make mistakes in your half.
yeah I think that's why the general consensus is that it's a bad matchup for Scotland. SA will be happy to let them have a go but I still think Scotland is better off trying to play with it than trying to play defense against the boks.

Is Hamish Watson injured?
No he's on the tour IIRC, but as others have said his form since the Lions has been down noticably.

It's an interesting conversation, in all honesty it's probably the Boks game to lose... however, Scotland have managed to get victories in recent times by being able to back our own ability and mix things up. Against all but maybe Ireland (although we have kept in the fight with them lately), the gap is not always so big and opportunities do come.

For me the big question is whether we can make a big statement and manipulate a top team like SA and find some sort of fragility in their game plan (which we have some ability in being able to do so with many teams). If we can then we can put points on the board. The flipside is getting blasted in the next play and give a score back....

Only 4 days to go people....

Latest posts