• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] South Africa vs Tonga (01/10/2023)

Pollard to be only 60% successful from kicks....

Should be a physical contest, but South Africa should win comfortably.

Pollard has to start and play at least 60. Knockouts are next and the Boks have to sort out the donkey's wang of a kicking problem that they have.

Semi-rotation time IMO. Not what I expect rcessairly but hoping for if Pollard has 60 minutes in him let him have it. Think 6-2 or dare we even revert to a 5-3 split seeing as we want rotation at the back as well. I'm going for the unthinkable and opting for a 5-3 bench.

1 Nche
2 Fourie
3 Nyakane
4 Kleyn
5 Snyman
6 Van Staden
7 Smith
8 Vermeulen (c)
9 Reinach
10 Pollard
11 Mapimpi
12 Esterhuizen
13 Moodie
14 Arendse
15 Le Roux

Mbonambi, Kitshoff, Malherbe, Mostert, Wiese, Williams, Libbok, Kriel

Semi-rotation time IMO. Not what I expect rcessairly but hoping for if Pollard has 60 minutes in him let him have it. Think 6-2 or dare we even revert to a 5-3 split seeing as we want rotation at the back as well. I'm going for the unthinkable and opting for a 5-3 bench.

1 Nche
2 Fourie
3 Nyakane
4 Kleyn
5 Snyman
6 Van Staden
7 Smith
8 Vermeulen (c)
9 Reinach
10 Pollard
11 Mapimpi
12 Esterhuizen
13 Moodie
14 Arendse
15 Le Roux

Mbonambi, Kitshoff, Malherbe, Mostert, Wiese, Williams, Libbok, Kriel
15 Willie le Roux, 14 Grant Williams, 13 Canan Moodie, 12 Andre Esterhuizen, 11 Makazole Mapimpi, 10 Handre Pollard, 9 Cobus Reinach, 8 Jasper Wiese, 7 Duane Vermeulen, 6 Siya Kolisi (captain), 5 Marvin Orie, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Vincent Koch, 2 Deon Fourie, 1 Ox Nche

Substitutes: 16 Marco van Staden, 17 Steven Kitshoff 18 Trevor Nyakane, 19 Franco Mostert, 20 Kwagga Smith, 21 Jaden Hendrikse, 22 Jessie Kriel, 23 Manie Libbok

Glad to see Koch up and about. Would be good for him to have a hit out. Vermeulen and Wiese. Not sure about that there you are with Van Staden back up hooker too Fourie. Williams on the wing. Some odd decisions but *should* prove more than enough to get over Tonga and a BP is essential. Was always going to rotate here in the hope that we are going long in the tournament.

Just wondering about Etzebeth's minutes but loving the 5-3 split!

Last edited:
Its a bit tough on Pollard to have that 9, 12, 13. Its not like slotting him in to established combinations and I can't think the Boks QF XV will look anything like that even if Pollard starts. I don't like the backs line up at all but the forwards should create more than enough tries for a winning BP.

The selection makes it clear the Boks are not expecting an Ireland / Scotland alliance where both finish on 15 points and knock out the Boks on points difference. I think its the right judgement from them.

TBF Pollard has played with both Reinach and Esterhuizen but I get your point.

Grant Williams for me is the strangest pick but he is supposedly the fastest player in the squad (I've been told) . Over which distance(s) I wouldn't know.

Moodie is a talent and has had time next to Esterhuizen but vs Romania he really showed his age on at least two occasions. I trust he was dressed down and will hopefully be better for it.

Pack was always going to be solid given the depth of experience in the forwards selected to the squad. Even the guys with little test caps are campaigners like Kleyn and Fourie.

Something's not right. Scotland won big, and now have a larger plus points difference than South Africa, yet they are 3rd on the log with the same points.

If only 2 teams are tied on table points, the first tiebreaker is "the winner of the match between those 2 teams"

For it to come down to points difference, you need either
A) 3 teams tied on table points, or
B) 2 teams tied, but the match between them was a draw

If only 2 teams are tied on table points, the first tiebreaker is "the winner of the match between those 2 teams"

For it to come down to points difference, you need either
A) 3 teams tied on table points, or
B) 2 teams tied, but the match between them was a draw

Oh right. Thank you.

And Pollard has cemented himself as starting 10.

Think they lose a bit without Libbok in open play but SA are a team that needs 3s and scoreboard pressure to win.

One day I will learn that if Reinach is starting against a Tier 2 side, you put him in your fantasy team.

Unfortunately that day is yet to come.

Latest posts